Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 106

Author Topic: Life and Times of Strife26  (Read 140927 times)

inaluct

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Life and Times of Strife26:
« Reply #45 on: March 06, 2009, 01:17:30 am »

Just drew this, it's relevant.

Bromor Neckbeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Harden the fuck up, BULL SHIT MAGGOT, and so on
« Reply #46 on: March 06, 2009, 08:24:43 am »

No workout topic?  I'll post one, but not if I'm gonna be the only one posting in it.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 06, 2009, 10:09:10 pm »

Sorry that my workout schedule hasn't been forthcoming. Fourtunatly, I've got about another five hours where I'll be chained to my computer.

Basicly, my dad leaves tommorow. He's optimistic, although he can't find his lucky poncho-liner. Before he leaves, he got a wild hare that some music might be nice. So, after determining that my purple Ipod shuffle wouldn't work, we went and bought an Ipod Nano for him. I'm currently in the process of uploading (I quote) "just a few of my favorite songs." I am just finishing with CD # 24. There are two more CD wallets full, plus a two foot tall stack of cases. He's still looking for more of his favorite CD's.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

WorkerDrone

• Bay Watcher
  • Hey, if you can dream it, you can do it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 07, 2009, 03:47:12 am »

I don't know what's all this jazz about Ipods. Ipods have been around for years, and you don't see me carrying around your fancy gadgets and doodads.

Why back in my day, you had to carry around a REAL CD player. And people BOUGHT Albums from stores. And all DOWNLOADING of music off the internet was still illegal(Though mind you it still is, but now people download for a cheaper price, on a legal site. Mostly.), and we had to use bigger earphones.

We didn't have your fancy smancy Ipods with your...your Solitaire...and...and...videos...and enough GB to fit 2000 Albums.

What was I talking about?

Anyways, I'm rather surprised Strife is 5'4''. I was expecting him to be a bit taller. I'm 5'11'' myself. As for talk of the Military, I was hoping to either be an Engineer, or go for the Air Force if I seriously could. But I suppose I could also turn that away for a rifle and join you with the ground pounders Strife.

I don't think I'd do well for a tank. I wouldn't be able to move around easily, as I'm still growing. Alot...okay, more then alot. It'd be real crowded. But I suppose either way it'll be real hot. So whether I'm in a tank or on foot...well theres my problem. Not only when your in a tank you don't have to freaking walk in the desert heat, you have inches of hard steel and ceramic armour between you and bullets.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 07, 2009, 11:36:33 am »

Look at it this way, my dad has a very extensive CD collection. I managed to put about 50 CD's worth of music unto it before my CD drive started to give way, he could hardly take 50 CD's with him everywhere.

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware those who would keep knowledge from you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 11, 2009, 07:39:42 pm »

I'm willing to sign up, if people are going to post their workout regimens.

When I was in really good shape, and in my teens and 20's, I was 6'3 and cut, at 327lb, or 148kg (that was when I used to cut down trees, landscape, and chop wood for 6+ hours a day, every day, and then study a couple different types of martial arts on a regular basis). Since then, I've lost an inch from back problems, and gained a little more than I'd like.

At my size, and considering I work at a desk for 10+ hours a day (usually 12+), that can be dangerous, so I'd like to get a bit back into form, which I've slowly been doing, but having a support network wouldn't hurt anything.

Also, I had a fish once, a beta, but one of my exes killed it, maliciously.
For they would be your masters.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 11, 2009, 11:05:51 pm »

Fuck then, I'll start out. I've got to get up in seven hours, and I have two hours of homework, but I think I can plan something out quick.

My main activity is my gym class right now. I'm taking basic weight lifting. We lift Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday; alternating between upper body (primarily incline and bench press) and lower body (squats and hang/power cleans). I'm not very good on any of them, but I have a pretty steady increase in weight. We try to do three sets of 8 in each excercise. If you can do more than eight on the last set, you're supposed to add more weight for next time. At the current moment, any day I don't feel crappy, I can make ten or so reps on the last set, and I add another five pounds for next time. I don't think that my platuea is anywhere near yet. However, I have a long way to go. About 70 for bench and squat, while I'm aiming for 120 plus.

I have serious problems with cleans, (my incline presses suck to, but they're nott as important). I tend to use my shoulders and arms instead of my legs. I'm working on it, but I don't think that there is much improvement.

Other than doing good on lifting weights, I also need good scores on (that I recall) push-ups (1 min) sit ups (ditto), shuttle run, pull-ups, basketball throw (lord knows how I'll practice it), and mile run. Having a good two mile run would be smart as well, as would doing a 5 K or half marathon (not really a chance of the last one, but oh well).

I have a (rarely used) membership to a local health club, with lot's of circut training stuff and some free weights (not much for cleans though) as well as access to my own school's considerable free weight collection. My current plan is to practice push-ups and sit ups every day at home, along with pull ups twice a day (switching grips and such). I'll also be trying to fit in running whenever possible.

I'll start trying to get baselines on this stuff as soon as possible. Probably next week (work, out of town x2, schoolwork).

-Strife

I missed a pretty good photo-op yesterday. You could of seen the foot of snow on my driveway, after I snowblowed the previous night.

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 11, 2009, 11:30:17 pm »

I can't do a really full workout like I used to, since my left wrist is pretty much cripped with what's apparently pretty severe carpel tunnel.

I can do maybe 150 reps with a 5lb weight, with my left hand.

Mostly I do floor exercises for my back, exercises and walking for my legs, and last year I was up to 400 situps a day, but I've since stopped that (and would like to get back into it.).

We've also got a pool and a park right nearby, so I may be able to do some running and swimming too.

Oh and I still do katas on a regular basis, but usually nothing extremely intense, just forms and etc.

Bromor Neckbeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
I guess the Corps don't get theirs today.
« Reply #53 on: March 12, 2009, 01:59:06 pm »

Well, since I lifted weights yesterday, I did cardio today.  I ran (okay, jogged) just over a mile, and I can't say I'm happy with my performance.  After only half a mile, I had to walk for a little bit to get my wind back.  Oh well, I'll just have to do two miles next time.

Damn, I've really gotten out of shape since January.  One of my buddies who's in the Army was going to try out for Air Assault school and he'd always get me to go running with him.  (Apparently the requirements to go Air Assault are particularly brutal.)  But now he's getting shipped back to Iraq, so he's not only canceled his Air Assault plans, but he's not running with me any more.  It's amazing what a month of not running can do to my cardio.  Last year, at the peak of my cardio fitness, I was able to go seven miles without a break.  My goal this year is to get back up to that level.

On the bright side, my weightlifting yesterday went great.  I did a pile of bench presses (including 6 reps at 255, something I've never been able to do before), incline bench, curls, and seated rows.  My ORM on the bench is 275, but after yesterday I'm thinking that I'll go for 285 tomorrow.  It's just too bad that the guy I usually lift weights with can't be persuaded to run for some reason.  Having an imaginary R. Lee Ermey motivate me just doesn't work as well as an actual real life dude to compete with.

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 12, 2009, 02:20:33 pm »

Well, yesterday I did my floor exercises. Just the normal minimums, since it was a work-day. I usually push myself on the weekends, since I'm a bad insomniac and a big workout just keeps me awake--as it is, I was up till 5 and awake until atleast 6am .

I started in on situps. I won't mention how many I did, but it was pretty sad. Better than nothing, though.

In better news, I was able to do 200 reps with my left hand, without feeling like it was on fire/going to fall off, so maybe it's actually starting to heal.

By the way--Stryfe: Do you do any yoga? I've done some basic stuff, and I'm thinking about getting back into it. It seems to me like it might be beneficial to a tank operator, since it incorporates a lot of flex and strength training.

Ok, I did my walk today, 200 reps again, and I was able to hold both 5lb weights above my head, with elbows unlocked, for 12 minutes straight-could have done longer but my left hand was starting to get numb. Still better than it has been for a long time. It was right after the reps, and I hadn't been training for it, so I was satisfied. Also did 3 sets 25 reps of 25lbs with my right hand-probably do another one before I go to bed, just to even it out. I did about twice the minimum floor-exercises, too, and some sit-ups. I was gonna cool down by cleaning the house for an hour or so, but the dishwasher isn't working right, and everything but the kitchen/dishes are almost uncomfortably immaculate, so I'm gonna let that soak in Simple Green overnight.           
« Last Edit: March 13, 2009, 04:41:09 am by SirHoneyBadger »

Bromor Neckbeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Bromor is more experienced! *Stat increase*
« Reply #55 on: March 13, 2009, 03:25:28 pm »

Well, I couldn't get The Chief (my usual workout partner, we call him that because he's part Native American) to lift with me today, as he hurt his wrist this morning.  So I didn't have much of a workout at all.  However, I did manage to bench 285 for the first time ever, and it wasn't as hard as I thought it would be.  I had a little more strength than I used, to the point where I seriously think that I could have gotten 295.

The Chief claims that he'll be up to lifting tomorrow, so I'll post a real workout then.  I'll just take a day off today.  Man, it's been a great 24 hours.

(March 14, 6:15 PM, edit to avoid unnecessary bump)

Thanks for the encouragement, SHB!  Having a couple of dudes online to compete against is a great motivator when my usual workout buddies punk out or just can't make it.

Short but intense today.  Since I set a new personal high with strength yesterday, I worked on endurance today.  I went bench press, preacher curl, upright row, repeat, without resting for more than thirty seconds between sets.  I did 185x20, 155x20, 155x20 (inclined) on the bench, 85x15 on all three curl sets, and 85x20, 85x20, and 85x40 on the rows.  I guess I'll run tomorrow.

Hey, when you talk about "floor exercises", what are those?  I mean, I know how to do a situp, but what are the others?  Do you mean, like, pushups or something?
« Last Edit: March 14, 2009, 06:18:02 pm by Bromor Neckbeard »

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 13, 2009, 03:43:38 pm »

Good job with the 285!

I'm not really going for strength, by the way.

I'm strong enough for what I do, with plenty to spare. I'm going for durability, physical therapy for my wrist and back, and cardio.

Bromor Neckbeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Acceptable, not great
« Reply #57 on: March 15, 2009, 05:04:16 pm »

Well, I couldn't manage 2 miles today.  I did jog 1 mile without stopping, then I rested for about ten minutes, then did another half mile.  Oh well, there's always Tuesday.  I'm not happy with that, but I'm content, after all, I did 1.5 what I did last time.  Would that it were always so easy to add fifty percent to your previous workout.

(edit to avoid needless bumping)

The Chief wanted to do a little extra on the bench today, so we ended up doing six sets.  We started out with incline bench, and I did 155x10, then switched to wide grip incline bench and did two sets of 135x10 like that. Once we went down to regular bench, I did 205x10 and 205x8.  I finished off by doing 95x30 to burn up that last little bit of energy.  I also did 85x15, 85x15, and 85x10 preacher curls and 85x20 seated rows three times in between the first four bench sets.

I still can't convince him to go running tomorrow, so I'm relying on imagining SHB and Strife running beside me doing their best impressions of Chopper and R. Lee Ermey.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2009, 05:31:39 pm by Bromor Neckbeard »

Bromor Neckbeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Double post! ('cause nobody else is bothering)
« Reply #58 on: March 17, 2009, 04:34:13 pm »

Well, today's running went okay, I guess.  I jogged a mile, rested for a bit, jogged a half mile, rested a bit, jogged another half mile.  Next time I'll see if I can't go a mile and a half before I have to rest, and maybe extend the workout to three miles if possible.

My ex found out that I'm running seriously now, and apparently her workplace is competing with a bunch of other offices in some kind of 5k race soon.  She asked if I'd represent her office in the race, and I said I would if I felt confident that I could do a good job.  I'm not sure how ethical it is, since I don't work there, but then it's not like I'd be competing for actual prizes beyond a handshake and a blue ribbon.

As far as the rest of you go,

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

and post something in this topic!  Yes, you!  Even if you're not Strife or SHB, post SOMETHING!  There's a stereotype that computer gamers are all fat neckbearded losers.  Well, I'm not fat, and you don't have to be either!  Just do ten pushups while you're waiting for your dwarves to haul the stone crafts to the trade depot or something, and post that in here.  Jog to the 7-11 to get your Cheetos and Mountain Dew instead of driving, then tell us about it!

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 17, 2009, 05:00:49 pm »

Okay then.
I've been working on my pull-ups a lot.
I can do six straight right now. A third of the way to the goal.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 106