Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 106

Author Topic: Life and Times of Strife26  (Read 140952 times)

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Life and Times of Strife26
« on: February 22, 2009, 01:37:12 am »

Just to make sure that the life advice part of this forum stays active, and to let my opinions have their own non-derailing section, I decided to make my own thread!

Expect to see little stories from my own life in here as well, as I continue to try to get into West Point.

Other than that, here I am:

Strife26
17 year old male
Fargo, ND
5’4”
112 pounds (a little too much, really, need to get down to 103)

School:
Junior
Advanced classes (somewhat mediocre grades)
JROTC

Activities:
Speech, Debate, Student Congress (like debate, but better).
JROTC stuff (commander of knowledge bowl, sometimes shows up for PT, yearly armed x dropout)

Work:
Busser at a relatively nice local steakhouse

Religion:
Tolerant semi-Lutheran (does not liked organized religion on a larger scale than parish).

Political Stance:
Right leaning independent (with hope for Obama)

Dreams:
Become a tanker.

I’m an ultra patriot as well.

I’ll add more stuff as it comes up.

« Last Edit: June 16, 2009, 08:20:13 pm by Strife26 »
Even the avatars expire eventually.

inaluct

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Life and Times of Strife26
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2009, 01:45:07 am »

I am continuing from that other thread, because almost damn near anything with "The Life and Times of" in it is an awesome title.

Anyway, you should have totally taken the PSAT. It isn't really all that hard, and there are scholarships that they hand out for it. I got a 234 out of 240 (I missed two questions on the entire exam, again showing that it isn't that hard), and judging by the competition from previous years, I'm at least going to get some cool sounding thing to put on my resume.

Well, congrats on your highest in living memory ASVAB score.

I'm still waiting for someone to come on here and say "Guys, I'm in a life or death situation here; I need advice..."

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2009, 01:52:54 am »

Good luck being a tanker.  I got a good earful from a soldier in Colorado Springs, about manning an M1A1.  One of the most important requirements is the physicality; namely, every part on a tank weighs 150 pounds, and you have to be able to cart, lift, and handle them all day long.  Because M1A1s break down all day long.  Not to be a jackass, but 5'4" and 100ish pounds sounds a little small for that kind of work, but I guess you can train your way up to anything.

If you're not wedded to tanks specifically, I'm sure the Army is always in need of good vehicle crewmen in other capacities.  Godspeed at any rate, and bear in mind that you will go to Iraq.  I can promise you that.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2009, 01:56:05 am »

Well, my dad was a tanker (beofre intel stole him) and we're the same hieght. I'm lifting wieghts semi-agressively right now (damn I'm weak though  >:(). Hopefully, I'll improve. The 103 wieght goal would allow me to try to qualify for a lifting letter (I want some athletics)  with the least work. Expect workout updates to then, who wants to train with me?

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2009, 02:00:18 am »

Not me.  I already work out as an actual job.  You don't go to a gym do you?  Go work for UPS, and get paid to exercise.

As for a 'target weight', my father was in the Navy in the '80s, so this information might be irrelevant.  But his recollection was that bootcamp did it's best to move everyone to a functional weight of about 150lbs.  You might not make that, and would certainly drop down again if you're naturally closer to 103.  But I'd be more concerned with putting on mass rather than getting rid of it, so you're used to it.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2009, 02:01:47 am »

Mostly at school right now (as an elective gym class), but with occasional visits to another gym and after school.

inaluct

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2009, 02:03:26 am »

Eh, I might do some push ups or something. I have the same problem. I'm 5'9" and 122 pounds, so I'm horribly out of shape. I should try and develop some muscle, but meh.

I'll be with you in spirit, Strife. Taunting you and making snide remarks about your height.

Aqizzar, you should write a book about your life working for UPS. You can get some awesome title like "Riding the Lightning: The Story of My Life Carrying Boxes," but better and more relevant.

IndonesiaWarMinister

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2009, 02:25:00 am »

Wha? Tanker?

What you mean Never mind now I know which tanker you meant.

Well, good luck! I myself think that I better as an intel person, rather than fight in frontline. However, I think I can be a good riflemen... >_<

Mulch Diggums

• Bay Watcher
  • "Hey urist! I think that cat is having a seizure!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2009, 04:02:20 am »

I think im a great shot, I probly am alittle overconfident though, the closest thing to a gun that i've shot would be a BB rifle. But, when I shot that my friends dad said I was a damned good shot :P. I'd probly want to be a mechanic if I wanted to go into the army.. But, I wouldn't go into the army now. I absolutely HATE heat. And Iraq is rather..Hot.  ::)
ooooo! Swamp wiskey! Yeah!!

A_Fey_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2009, 05:07:11 am »

Here, joining the army for any technical position is pretty much just being paid to go to university for training (i.e. BE or BSc). Then when that is over you go on pitiful peacekeeping missions (recently East Timor)where you are more likely to be killed in a unimog crash then from someone shooting you.

I am seriously considering becoming an engineer in the army as I don't really have the money for University (if I don't get any scholarships).

I have never fired a real gun before as there are loads of weapon restrictions where I live but I do own an air rifle which I use for killing pigeons.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2009, 08:06:26 am »

If I were ever to do anything remotely related to the military, it would be joining the Norwegian forces.

Why?  Because although you get your black-and-blue ass handed to you in training and get to spend hours on guard duty with semi-melted snow leaking into your boots while freezing wind rips the flesh off every exposed part of your body, they have one major advantage.

They never fight anybody.

This means I could be assured a relatively safe (if training didn't kill me) stint in the military, with the added bonus of never worrying about being drafted by any other country, since I'd already "done my part for my country".  Just because it happened to be a different country doesn't make any difference. 

And besides, even if it's hell to go through, that kind of training is just good to have.  Works the body and gives you some useful skills (like all the various items you can use to get the cap off a beer bottle).  Besides, dogtags are stylish.  Even if you do know what they're there for.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2009, 09:25:35 am »

I'm a pretty accurate shot(With real guns, not your silly air rifles) but I would never join the army because my body is made of tissue paper.

I'll be with you in spirit, Strife. Taunting you and making snide remarks about your height.

They made fun of Audie Murphy too.
Shoes...

inaluct

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2009, 11:36:47 am »

They made fun of Audie Murphy too.

Yeah, but Audie Murphy was 5'5.5".

Fishersalwaysdie

• Bay Watcher
  • Slayer of Threads
    • View Profile
    • http://chupacabra
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2009, 12:30:39 pm »

I'm not sure if I'm to join the army, while the training sounds like a good thing to have, I don't want to end up as a war criminal as it often happens down here.
Cannot find self-destruction button, could have sworn it's somewhere here...

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2009, 01:28:07 pm »

I'm still growing. lI wouldn't be suprised if I got to Audie's prestigious height.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 106