Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 103 104 [105] 106

Author Topic: Life and Times of Strife26  (Read 140965 times)

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Life and Times of Strife26
« Reply #1560 on: September 11, 2016, 12:17:08 pm »

After successfully parking on a slope, I believe that I'm fully prepared to drive in San Francisco. Hopefully the previous sentence does not guarantee that I find my vehicle rolling down the hill when I return to it.

My serious task for today is getting myself competent enough on math to be able to take a placement test. I'm planning to ignore the results of it, because I only have 36 months of school to get as much edumacation as I can. Spending my first year relearning things I learned in 2009 isn't in the cards. Hopefully, I can do well enough on this test to justify a general calculus course. Either way, I'm assuming that I'll be putting in plenty of hours to relearn rusted math skills during my first few quarters.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1561 on: September 17, 2016, 10:57:05 am »

I have successfully made it to California! Thus far, the roads are questionable and the drivers remarkably rude. Currently, I've made it to the roguelike celebration in San Francisco, followed by a two days of trying to find a parking spot near school that doesn't cost more than I'm used to paying for rent.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2016, 11:09:51 am by Strife26 »

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1562 on: September 17, 2016, 10:58:59 am »

Yikes!
Good luck!
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1563 on: September 17, 2016, 01:03:21 pm »

After a few minutes at this conference, I am reaffirming my belief that shop talk by experts is always interesting and almost any point can be argued successfully.

I just heard some solid points for Words With Friends being a roguelike.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1564 on: September 19, 2016, 12:08:03 pm »

Alrighty, I owe everyone a write-up about the roguelike celebration and a link to the cool slides that Toady had. Additionally, my adventures in Oakland that night deserve some words (pro-tip: don't go into Oakland).

Today's infuriating task is trying to deal with my parking problems. The college parking department doesn't seem to understand that nontraditional students might not be able to park their car with mommy and daddy. This is opposed to various other college departments that seem to understand the concept of a nontraditional student, including the financial aid folks, the housing department, the academic advisors, and literally everyone else.

So yeah, continuing my adventure of trying to find long-term parking in goddamn silicon valley with 1.5 business days of notice.

Day negative one of school!

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1565 on: September 19, 2016, 12:09:40 pm »

You may have to commit a murder to get parking within this timeframe. I went to college in an isolated mountain town and I didn't get parking for three years.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1566 on: September 19, 2016, 12:26:50 pm »

You may have to commit a murder to get parking within this timeframe. I went to college in an isolated mountain town and I didn't get parking for three years.

Right now, the plan involves legally ambiguous abuse of three hour parking zones and the fact that I own two sets of legal plates for my car, besides the emergency ones.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1567 on: May 11, 2017, 02:53:32 am »

I remain alive and the college thing progresses with unexpected success and unsurprising stresses.

It's one am, my voice is down to a whisper from shouting, and I'm scribbling my homework on the back of my concert ticket. All things considered, I can't complain to much.

Rusty Shackleford

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1568 on: May 12, 2017, 06:59:53 am »

Get a motorcycle and that solves your parking problems. Unless your school has some specific policy against it most people don't care or notice if you park a bike on the sidewalk up against a building or up against light poles in the parking lot.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1569 on: June 15, 2017, 08:56:14 pm »

Get a motorcycle and that solves your parking problems. Unless your school has some specific policy against it most people don't care or notice if you park a bike on the sidewalk up against a building or up against light poles in the parking lot.

The problem with switching to a bike is that I'd still have my car, and my annoyingly large amount of possessions. I can move and live in the car, but trying to switch to saddlebags would be a big change.

In related news, the school year is over, and I've posted very little about it. Busy, interesting, occasionally infuriating, but I think that I'll do fine enough here.

The immediate problem I'm currently facing is that we're being kicked out of the dorm in the morning, and I still haven't figured out where to spend the summer. For now, I'm thinking that I'll pick up my road trip route again and head to either the northwest or to Vegas. Both seem interesting enough, and the budget is actually robust enough that I could probably find a sublet (in a place that isn't charging Bay Area rates) to settle down for the summer if I wanted. Dunno if that's what I'll do, though.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1570 on: June 15, 2017, 08:58:05 pm »

You could do a tour of Mexico, if the crime rate doesn't scare you off. Go somewhere properly foreign, y'know?
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1571 on: June 15, 2017, 09:00:14 pm »

Ah yes, pass current border enforcement and drive around Mexico with your every material possession, great idea. I guess you could do a round-trip of Baja California's coastline.

Well, if there's any time you'd want to visit Northwest, it's probably summer. It's not utterly miserable there right now, I think?
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1572 on: June 15, 2017, 09:59:00 pm »

You could do a tour of Mexico, if the crime rate doesn't scare you off. Go somewhere properly foreign, y'know?

I thought about it, and I actually had recommendation to visit Los Cabos, but the extra care and planning I'd have to deal with by having all my things with me is the major turn off. I ended up leaving my car in the States when I visited Canada, and that ended up being a purely day-trip affair.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1573 on: June 16, 2017, 06:15:15 pm »

Ah yes, pass current border enforcement and drive around Mexico with your every material possession, great idea. I guess you could do a round-trip of Baja California's coastline.

Well, if there's any time you'd want to visit Northwest, it's probably summer. It's not utterly miserable there right now, I think?

I think I'd rather have the winter. I'm making tracks north, but it's 100 degrees right now. The current plan is naming Portland tonight or tomorrow tomorrow morning smf attending a cider festival and tastings tomorrow's after.

Kandi Apple

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1574 on: June 16, 2017, 06:36:12 pm »

Tell me: Where does one shower when living out of a car? Everything else I can imagine, but public showers are hard to come by, no? And I for one would rather not rely purely on sponge baths for extended amounts of time...

A recent discovery made myself while van camping this summer.  $12 or points earned fueling at  Flying J or Pilot Travel Centers is a rather nice thing.  The showers are great and they supply the soap and towels.  Of course I prefer my own, but still pretty sweet.   

While in Key West, the old retired wanderers explained 'sun showers' of using beachside public showers but as I am female, NO THANK YOU!
Not traveling that rough. 
Pages: 1 ... 103 104 [105] 106