Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6

Author Topic: Escape from Wheeldriven (Kel the Oblivious's RTD)  (Read 10343 times)

Kel the Oblivious

• Bay Watcher
  • A Vile Force of Dorkness has Arrived!
    • View Profile
Escape from Wheeldriven (Kel the Oblivious's RTD)
« on: February 22, 2009, 07:40:03 am »

Setting: You are the last dwarves alive in the fortress of Wheeldriven. A massive goblin siege has force you and your comrades into a safe room, barred from the rest of the fortress with a pair of retractable bridges and seven flood gates. The room is a mere 30 by 30 feet, with several beds, a couple of tables, three weapon racks and armorstands, a well, which is beginning to run dry, and several empty barrels, once filled with a supply of turtles and plump helmets. You do not know how long you have been locked in this safe prison, but with no food, water, or booze, there is only one option.

Escape.

You and your comrades must brave the gauntlet of goblins, trolls, beakdogs, and other evil that may have inhabited the fallen fortress. To do otherwise would consign you to a slow death by starvation, or worse, dehydration. Gather your wits, and what supplies you can from the room, and make your way to the light.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 

Rules:
Quote from: RTD Standard 1.1 ruleset:

The GM (Game Master) posts a situation you, the players, are in. You then post your actions, exactly one action per turn. Once all players have made their actions, the GM posts again, with the results of the actions and the state of the world around you. After which you post actions again, ad infinitum.

The action results are defined by a six-sided die roll:
    [1]: Epic Fail. Whatever you tried to achieve, you didn't, and you made it worse.
    [2]: Fail. You didn't, or couldn't do what you tried to.
    [3]: Meager success: You didn't fail, but you didn't succeed either. Like trying to sit on two chairs but ending up on one.
    [4]: Success: You succeeded in your plight. All consequences are now your problem.
    [5]: Epic Success: You succeed in the most positive way possible. The universe will bend to your will.
    [6]: Overshot: You achieved what you tried to achieve, but you made it worse by doing so in the most inhumanely overpowerful way possible. Casualties are inevitable.

In addition, if at any time something threatens you, you get a free roll to dodge it. If you end up in a very bad situation as a result of the first dodge roll, you may or may not get another free roll to narrowly escape death.

Quote from: RTD Extended 1.6 ruleset:

Swarm rules: Each successive dodge roll during a turn, unless it is a dodge against the same object or character, will get a -1 bonus.

Status rules:
    If you are Stunned, Dazed, or otherwise receive a temporary penalty to overall or individual rolls, this penalty lasts until your next action is resolved, and not through the whole turn.
    If you receive a long-term effect that has the potential to alter itself, you get an Effect Resistance roll immediately after your action is resolved to determine the spread and consequences of the effect.
    If you are Unconscious, whatever penalty you receive will not reduce your roll score below 2, unless stated otherwise.
    If you receive a mortal wound but are not killed outright, you need to pass a roll to avoid death at the end of every turn.

Combo rules:
    You can spend your turn to help another player achieve his goal. If your roll is higher, it is taken as the success roll for the action.
    You can also spend your turn to botch another player's action. If your roll is higher, its opposite is taken as the success roll for the action.
    In both cases, individual player rolls determine what happens to the players in the course of the action.

Action rules:
    Some actions may be considered "free", depending on the circumstance, and not require a roll.
    As such, these actions can be paired with normal actions without penalty.

NPC rules:
    When interacting with NPC's, a player can affect the action choice of the NPC via persuasion or hypnosis. In any case except direct physical control, the action of the NPC will be carried out in the NPC phase.
    In extreme cases, regular players can be treated as NPC's. In these cases, the action will be carried out by the player in his own turn, and the effect that changes his action will be considered a positive Combo.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Stats are gained over the course of the adventure, but all players begin with one:

Strength: Relates to damage, feats of might, how much you can carry without being encumbered, and some social situations (Having bulging muscles make intimidation easier)

Agility: Applies to dodge rolls, acrobatic actions, and anything relying on hand eye coordination (Attacks, lockpicking)

Toughness: Applies to resisting damage, overcoming fatigue, and finding inner reserves to push through. A broken arm, pah, gouged out eye? I only need one.

Intellect: Any feat where logic and knowledge are required. Knowing the lay out of the fortress, which lever pulls what, and understanding language. Also helps accelerate experience gain.

Charisma: Force of personality. Applies to all social rolls.

Luck: Sometimes being lucky is the most important thing of all. But remember, it swings both ways.

Experience is also allowed to start off at one. This relates to what your dwarf did before the fortress was taken over. Any roll involving your field of expertise gets +1 (Changed to prevent no failure possible rolls)

Any takers?
« Last Edit: February 22, 2009, 11:37:01 am by Kel the Oblivious »
To err is to man, as to kill your entire population because you forgot a single stone block in your incredibly amazing steam aquaduct system is to dwarf

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
Re: Escape from Wheeldriven (Kel the Oblivious's RTD)
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2009, 10:11:30 am »

I suppose I shall start with Intellect.

Since those barrels were once filled with turtles, I make myself some Shell armor!

Kel the Oblivious

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2009, 10:22:49 am »

I assume you are starting with bonecarver as your beginning profession?
To err is to man, as to kill your entire population because you forgot a single stone block in your incredibly amazing steam aquaduct system is to dwarf

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2009, 10:29:45 am »

Sure, I'll join. One can never be in too many forum games. I'll be a tough speardwarf, and I'll begin by grabbing my trusty spear and some puppy leather armor.

Random quasi-helpful advice:
You probably shouldn't try to make the fortress layout complicated, with lots of useless rooms designed to make the fortress seem "real." It only ended up confusing people in my RTD.
Careful when giving out a high +bonus. With a +2, failure is technically impossible. Reducing penalties might work though

Rooster

• Bay Watcher
  • For Chaos!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2009, 10:46:27 am »

Don't forget that overshot is just as bad...

I join: Rooster the dwarven butcher!
Though
I grab some leather armor and a mighty hatchet!

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2009, 11:24:45 am »

I join as Sone, Captain of the gaurd! I'll grab a barrel and prepare to give 'justice' to the goblins, with the agility trait chosen.
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

Kel the Oblivious

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2009, 12:08:19 pm »

Well, I am going to bed, and if there are no newcomers when I return, we will begin with turn one.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2009, 08:27:51 pm »

Hmm... I suppose I'll be a bonecarver then! Let's carve some bones!

Okenido

• Bay Watcher
  • Loli Advocate
    • View Profile
    • New Various Nonsense
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2009, 08:37:24 pm »

I'll be Okenido the Stone Crafter. (With Intellect.)

I disassemble the stands, and make a Craftsdwarf's Workshop.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2009, 09:11:50 pm by Okenido »

Org

• Bay Watcher
  • Daring Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2009, 08:40:31 pm »

I join. Agility. A..... swordsdwarf!

wehtamjd92

• Bay Watcher
  • Gorram reavers.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2009, 09:00:09 pm »

Wehtam the Hunter spear dwarf and luck because you need alot of it to hunt unicorns succesfully.

I find someone who can dodge well to practice against to improve myself.
It takes someone special to put the laughter back in slaughter.

What did you all go and order a dead guy for?

Org

• Bay Watcher
  • Daring Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2009, 09:01:22 pm »

I practice with wehtam

wehtamjd92

• Bay Watcher
  • Gorram reavers.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2009, 09:39:48 pm »

Thanks Org maybe we should become battle buddies to fight the menace with your quic dodginess and my lucky stabiness we'll be unstopable!
It takes someone special to put the laughter back in slaughter.

What did you all go and order a dead guy for?

Flintus10

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2009, 05:29:40 am »

I'll be the smooth talker So I will join up and take charisma

Kel the Oblivious

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2009, 06:33:14 am »

Alright, sorry for the delay, glad to see so many folks have arrived. My machine and internet died on me, and recently revived itself. So, without further ado.

Org/Wehtamjd

Equipment: Org (Background 4) -Iron Sword-

Wehtam(Background 2+1=3) Iron Spear

Training: (Skill) Org 4 (2+1+1), Weht 7 (6+1)

For a few minutes you mock stab at one another, and Weht is bouncing all over the place, far quicker then the eye should be able to follow, until he slams into one of the beds! (Soak: 6) He winces at the shock, but sucks it up and drives on! Org is a bit slower on foot, but ducks and twists out of the way of all the stabs. You both gain valuable knowledge about how to avoid getting stabbed (+1 to dodge)

Okenido: (Skill: 4+1=5) Not only do you deconstruct one of the armor stands, construct a makeshift workshop, (Luck 5!) There is a few pieces of obsidian lying around. This place must have been a stone dump before it became a safe room.

Webadict: (Skill 4+1=5) What is with all these fives?! You gather together about 10 turtles worth of shells, and begin to cobble them together, using strips of cloth from the bed for binding. You now have a pair of -gauntlets-, a pair of -high boots-, +greaves+, and a sturdy *breast plate*. (Knowledge 2+1=3) However, you are not quite sure how to use them properly. You could put them on, but it would be slow and clunky

Rooster: (Luck 4) The armor stand indeed has a simple set of horse hide armor. A breast plate and leggings. (Background 3+1=4) You brought your -steel cleaver- along with you from the flight, and it will make good for a simple axe, but it is not a military weapon, and will be difficult to use (-1 to attack rolls)

Nirur Torir: (Luck 3) There is only a couple of gauntlets and leggings left on the other armor rack. (Background 5) However, your trustly +Iron Spear+ is there for you, as it has always been.

Sonerohi: (Background 2, for military training) You were a novice to the guard when you were recruited, and have only a small amount of training in the art of wrestling and armor usage (Knows how to wear armor at least) (Luck 6!) The barrel you picked up is made of solid steel, obviously used to long term storage. It is very heavy. (Might 3) You manage to hoist it up, but are not built to use such a massive object as a weapon. Maybe one of the wooden ones? Or perhaps the dwarf at the stone shop could construct you something?

Status
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Room Status:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Flintus: Has just awoken at the sound of sparring and construction, and may act next turn
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6