Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: I'm thinking about starting a Forum game, but I want some advice.  (Read 2302 times)

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Yeah, I'm thinking of starting another forum game, but this time, maybe something like an RTD, except with better rules and better defined environments. RTD's seem to get hectic, I want mine to be somewhat reasonable (players can't do outlandish things, are limited to doing things that only the average person could do, etc).

I'm thinking of allowing the characters to have stats, but I'm not sure how I would handle that.

I'm thinking I'll create crude MSpaint maps of every area the players are in, so they have a good spatial idea of what's happening.

I have a couple ideas that I think would be interesting, can anyone more familiar with the territory give me some pointers?

Okenido

• Bay Watcher
  • Loli Advocate
    • View Profile
    • New Various Nonsense
Re: I'm thinking about starting a Forum game, but I want some advice.
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2009, 01:10:02 am »

Brikwar's ruleset? http://www.brikwars.com/

You could always tweak a bit with the rules.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2009, 02:23:43 am »

I maybe I'll try crafting my own ruleset, just for this, to increase simplicity. My thinking is that simple combat = faster combat. Then again, I want violence to be a drastic measure.

I'd like to give my players a world to explore, talk to, and interact with, and being civilized can earn you things.

I'm the type of person that likes to reward creative thinking more than mindless violence or good character builds, so I'm thinking of a good way to work that in.

I'm gonna have to think about this for awhile.

Cheeetar

• Bay Watcher
  • Spaceghost Perpetrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2009, 05:39:03 am »

One RTD that I played was with a D20. Various actions had stuff like (the steel is too hard to cut with your dagger, -5) or (it isn't very hard to fill your cup with water +10)
I think it was Martians RTD.
I've played some mafia.

Most of the time when someone is described as politically correct they are simply correct.

Rooster

• Bay Watcher
  • For Chaos!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2009, 07:09:47 am »

I think somebody tried to play D&D somewhere around here....