Dwarf Fortress > DF Dwarf Mode Discussion

How to seal off an up/down stairway?

(1/2) > >>

Lormax:
I have an up/down stairway thats built directly over the chasm.  How do I seal off the down portion?  Had a skeletal giant bat come up through it and it wreaked havoc for a bit.  Thanks!

Noble Digger:
You can build a constructed Up Stairway on the tile. The hotkeys to get that are b, C, then u.

Floors, walls, stairs, and ramps are sort of complicated in DF but think of it this way: a tile has a wall portion and a floor portion. Floors and down stairways both occupy the floor portion, while walls and up stairways occupy the wall portion.

Stay with me now--constructing an upward stairway also counts as placing a floor down on the tile. You can build a constructed stairway on the same tile as a naturally-mined one and it will overwrite it without problems, in most cases, and this goes for Up-Down stairways as well. All you're technically doing is changing the tile from a <down stairway><up stairway> combo to a <floor><up stairway> combo.

Good luck!

Bromor Neckbeard:
You can also build a floor hatch over the stairway you want to seal off.  If you forbid it, it will function like a locked door, but better, because it's basically impervious to ANYTHING underneath it, up to and including HFS.  I would recommend this over building up stairs unless you're absolutely sure that you will never need access to that down staircase again, because you can unforbid it in a heartbeat once you decide you want vengeance on those other chasm creatures for selfishly occupying your fortress space before you got there.

Noble Digger:
You can't build a floor hatch on the same tile as an Up\Down stairway :(

Duke 2.0:

--- Quote from: Noble Digger on February 25, 2009, 10:09:27 pm ---You can't build a floor hatch on the same tile as an Up\Down stairway :(

--- End quote ---
Wrong there. I have dozens of for-
  *Tests*
 Yup, up/down stairs can have hatch covers.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version