Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8

Author Topic: Dwarves don't poop  (Read 27293 times)

AncientEnemy

• Bay Watcher
  • The Answer is always POUR MAGMA ON IT
    • View Profile
Dwarves don't poop
« on: February 25, 2009, 07:40:01 pm »

they don't. and this is the only game where I think I'd ever think about that. I mean it simulates them down to almost every last detail.

not that I want them to. It's just somethin to think about. or not.

[edit] meant to go in discussion and not questions. but oh well.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2009, 07:45:39 pm by AncientEnemy »

jasonxfri13th

• Bay Watcher
  • He is Jesus and Raptor combined!
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarves don't poop
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2009, 10:29:23 pm »

they don't. and this is the only game where I think I'd ever think about that. I mean it simulates them down to almost every last detail.

Maybe there should be bathrooms, with toilets and baths. But this would make the game more complicated and they would waste a lot of time pooping and peeing.

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2009, 05:58:27 am »

This was discussed in the suggestions forum. Alas, seems that majority of the players don't actually like realism and thus want nothing to do with sewage. Plebians! Into the feces drowning chamber with the lot o' you!

FoboslC

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2009, 06:57:48 am »

Have You ever wondered why do they eat/drink so rarely, and sometimes stand still for a day or so? :)

Danaru

• Bay Watcher
  • 100% Manly
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2009, 07:45:41 am »

Urist McMiner cancels Mine: Taking a dump
Urist McMiner was disgusted by a miasma lately

I can't believe I just went there...
Odd how "Experiment" in DF is often synonymous with "Raging inferno of death and dispair"

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2009, 10:57:49 am »

This was discussed in the suggestions forum. Alas, seems that majority of the players don't actually like realism and thus want nothing to do with sewage. Plebians! Into the feces drowning chamber with the lot o' you!

No shit!  ;D

Kardos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2009, 06:55:07 pm »

Toady himself said that he will never add excrement to the game.  So putting it in as a suggestion is fairly moot.

Wolfius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2009, 07:38:15 pm »

Wouldn't actually be that bad if it was spawned as a 1/7 liquid that eventually evaporates if left 1/7, like magma(and maybe an unhappy thought if they have to enter a tile with waste in it). All you'd need is an outdoor septic stockpile/pit, while indoors you'd have miasma issues.

Want to get fancy? Flush the pit with water - tho it'll contaminate the water, so you'll want to dump it down stream. Or use the river as a septic pit, atleast if you lack carp(ouch!). Or collect it for nasty uses much as you collect rainfall.

Also, poison weapons/upright spear traps, and dry it for fuel.

Tho the best you can really hope for is Toady opening enough to the raws that you can mod it in.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2009, 11:31:07 pm »

On the bottom right there is a move topic button. That should help, it certainly helped me.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2009, 11:56:26 pm »

I know this topic has been discussed to death, but I still feel like adding in my two cents.

On the one hand, do we really want dwarves engaging in another bodily process in addition to eating and drinking and sleeping? Dwarves would never get anything done since all they would be doing is the satisfaction of their bodily functions.

On the other hand, it was in the Sims, and nobody seemed to care about it that much. Though, in those games, you didn't have to plan where it all went after it went into the toilet, which would probably be required in its implementation in this game.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Puck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2009, 12:20:56 am »

Urist McMiner cancels Mine: Taking a dump
Urist McMiner was disgusted by a miasma lately

I can't believe I just went there...
Urist McMiner cancels Poop: Constipated.

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2009, 07:31:47 am »

I want a crapfall in my elf prison :(
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

greggbert

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2009, 01:15:44 pm »

They poop owned tattered clothing to render your armor stockpiles useless. 
ou have struck Mica!  Now Niki''s gonna kill you!

yossarin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2009, 01:23:02 pm »

A totaly new material for fay mood dwarfs :P Artifact poop statue. Hell YEAH !

And a pond . Without water .

Imagine drowning all invaders in a pond of piss.

:/
« Last Edit: February 27, 2009, 01:51:46 pm by yossarin »

Puck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2009, 05:04:07 pm »

Actually I think sewage management could be a viable addition to DF. I always thought DF could be considered a roguelike Sims/dungeon keeper/RTS crossover, and at least the sims have some... rudimentary bodily functions.

It wouldnt need to much detail, I wouldnt want the DF community to come over as "anal" (un-tissss) but I think it would fit into the general logistical nightmare a fortress can turn into.

Just imagine, you either have to get the sewage washed away or move it outside, or you would be plagued by miasma. If you opt for an outside latrine, you would run into a whole new set of problems during sieges, like either goblin-weapon induced injuries in the groin area/fortress wide constipation tantrum spirals.

I also think the possible bugs involved could be fun, and it probably wouldnt take too long til people modded the raws so you can use sewage as crafting/building materials :/ Hooray for poop statues and fortresses made out of poop...

fake edit: also, vietcong style spike traps.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8