Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8

Author Topic: Dwarves don't poop  (Read 26942 times)

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarves don't poop
« Reply #60 on: April 24, 2009, 09:03:23 am »

have you ever been to Italy?

Wild Goose

• Bay Watcher
  • My Avatar Has Something Green. Yay solidarity!
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 24, 2009, 10:38:51 am »

"Recursive Swirly!  Recursive Swirly!"
"No, no, wait...whoa.  Wow.  WHOA!"
"Adventurer's Motto; Take everything not nailed down and nail down whoever tries to stop you."

"Whatever happens, we have got the ballista and they have not."

The dwarven economy is just a stand-in, from what I understand. As it is, it represents an actual economic system about as well as poison ivy represents a salad.

Byakugan01

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 24, 2009, 11:29:15 am »

I highly doubt that can be implement. Except, of course, on artifacts, where infinite regression seems to be a fact of life for most. More realistically...it would function like a hatch a dwarf can't drop through unless something-a spear, hammer, or barrel of Dwarven explosives booze comes and knocks them in. As a side note, they should immediately seek out a shower or tile of water deep enough to wash it off. Or be forced to by the fortress guard, if there is a risk of infection. Doctors might actually refuse to treat such dwarves until they wash off. Would also make it USEFUL to not mod in tamed fire imps, or to actively seek out fire creatures-they could be in the cistern to dispose of waste before it becomes problem. Alternately, lacking access to gas, they could simply take a barrel of booze and set it on fire. Better yet would be a bucket to poor said booze into, light it, and then use it like a match to dispose of accumulated waste. It would need to be retrieved afterwards of course. Alternately, yet another use for burning coal besides draining oceans would be to serve the same purpose.

Giving several options for disposal would also be useful. To deter overuse of "poop trap" pits, they should automatically create a miasma if the waste accumulation grows too large (meaning its not a good idea to have that right in front of your door). Potentially detectable by dwarves passing above the pit. Alternately, if smelling does deter gobbos/elves/humans from passing through it (kind of how "restricted paths" works for dwarves), it can be used to "funnel" enemies. And if disease is implemented for it, it could also be used to infect a besieging army and weaken them. Forcing them either to loose soldiers or to have doctors and personnel who treat the diseases and try and get rid of the waste. Would be useful if, in response to a locked doors response to siege, the enemy poisons your water supply. You have a way to counterattack while you attempt to prepare your military.

The economic aspect is also realistic. If you think about it, the viability of potash as a fertilizer is limited to the availability of trees. If you're in the middle of a forest, that's fine and dandy. However, if you're not, you'll need to find another source of fertilizer. This is where the fertilizer aspect would come in. By affording an easy source of fertilizer, it would be possible to reserve your wood for more useful stuff-like smelting if magma is not available, and carpentry, ballistas, and of course crossbows early on (which, incidentally, would free up metal if you were making copper or other metal crossbows). This in turn would mean you might not need to trade for as much wood, or can make better use of what you have. At the same time, it should have the drawback of the plants gown like this needing to be "cleaned" before consumption (which, incidentally, is what we do. There are restrictions, in the U.S. at least, on the use of human fecal material as fertilizer, and i believe it must be cleaned very thoroughly due to the potential presence of disease causing agents for humans in the fetilizer). Animal manure might work far better for this though, and was used by peoples such as the plains indians as a fuel for fire. Besides, having "stables" to limit manure spread would also come in handy if/when dwarven war mounts are implement (I'm thinking war bears or boars, since they seem especially dwarfy).
Will add more later.
From Mr. Welch's 1350 things he is not allowed to do in a RPG:
148. There is no Gnomish Deathgrip, and even if there was, it wouldn't involve tongs.
171. My character's dying words are not allowed to be "Hastur, Hastur, Hastur"
218. No matter my alignment, organizing halfling pit fights is a violation.
231. I am not allowed to do anything that would make a Sith Lord cry.
240. Any character with more than three skills specializing in chainsaw is vetoed.

Tiler

• Bay Watcher
  • [ODOR_LEVEL:999]
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 24, 2009, 12:07:52 pm »

It's said you can tell how advanced a civilization is by seeing how they get their crap away from the point of origin.

This and baths would be neat. Hygiene, or lack thereof, would be fairly flavorful.

dood_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 24, 2009, 12:15:33 pm »

It's said you can tell how advanced a civilization is by seeing how they get their crap away from the point of origin.

Why, that's not really applicable to Dwarfkind. All toilets will be directly over a magma vent. Keeps the seat warm too.
It seems very dwarven to use the hell itself as a garbage disposal. I can just see this isolated pile of goblin clothing, rotten food, and chunks of animals sitting there in a featureless plain, slowly cooking in the heat as demons pick at it.

Porpoisepower

• Bay Watcher
  • For Surely he is the Cuisinart Hat Rack
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 24, 2009, 02:27:30 pm »

According to the dev logs, Dwarves will shortly start grooming themselves and cleaning... So modding in legenday digestive prowess may infact become possible to those who wish
That's what DF needs, The gutbuster brigade.  Screw that elf and his cat. Thibbledorf Pwent is the real hero.

dafinchy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 24, 2009, 11:16:00 pm »

In addition, animals should poop. Cows let free on a field can keep it perma-fertilised. Also provides a less-potentially-deadly way to make a deep-farm. Flooding is baaaaaad.

Also raises the possibility of composting. A pile of dung rots, and then becomes manure. Plant remains rot to become compost. Both can be done in a composting "bin" to keep the miasma in, or at least reduce it.

Yanlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary comedian.
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 25, 2009, 07:19:08 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Don't forget to light the gas as well.
WE NEED A SLOGAN!

ProfessorA

• Bay Watcher
  • don't close your eyes, they'll get your eyelids
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: April 26, 2009, 12:00:55 am »

Why, that's not really applicable to Dwarfkind. All toilets will be directly over a magma vent. Keeps the seat warm too.
Only a dwarf wouldn't be knocked unconscious by the smell of !!crap!!

yggiz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: April 26, 2009, 01:22:41 am »

All the folks who scream for a tileset included, ask mike mayday what a turd will look like. Ascii will just have small brown "t"'s all over the place. I am just fine with the "chunks" from the butcher shop. Asking for poop is like asking for a listing of all the junk in the chunks. And I am certain there is some poop in the chunks, too. I am satisfied. Kinda like there's two things you never want to watch get made, sausage and legislation.

We don't need poop. If you want poop so badly, you can mod it in. Make some smelter reaction that produces poop from something. Assign a dwarf to the smelter (toilet) and order him to drop a load (your new reaction, with whatever it is he needs to use to poop properly, preferably a gold brick). Then you have all of your building materials you want. Mod in something to turn it into potash, and you have your fertilizer. You'll have loads more options for all you "scat"terbrains out there when more features are implemented into the main game. Modding will only get more powerful as the game is developed I'd support an official tileset before any excrement "fun", and I hate tilesets, lol

Armok is not God of Poop, he's God of Blood, and I'm sure his sphere overlaps with vomit and ichor too!

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: April 26, 2009, 05:51:57 am »

Adding fire imps to this mental picture is both hilarious and profoundly disturbing

Mipe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: April 26, 2009, 06:22:47 am »

One word.

Fertilizer.

galmud

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: April 26, 2009, 06:36:17 am »

Adding fire imps to this mental picture is both hilarious and profoundly disturbing

Nible McNoble mandated the construction of one clear glass magma vent toilet.

Nible McNoble was displeased to have a mandate ignored recently.

Cog McCleaner has been sentenced to five hammerstrikes. Injured party: Nible McNoble.

Urist McHammer cancels eat to hammer Cog McCleaner.

Cog McCleaner was beaten recently.

Urist McHammer cancels hammering Cog McCleaner. Needs to go poop.

Urist McHammer admired a fine magma vent toilet recently. He was comforted by something warm and cozy recently.

Urist McHammer cancels poop. Interrupted by fire imp.

Urist McHammer choked on smoke recently. He was attacked recently.

Cog McCleaner has been satisfied at work recently. He choked on smoke recently. He was disgusted by a trail of blood, dwarf feces and dwarf chunks leading from the bathroom to Nible McNobles throne room recently.

Urist McHammer has been struck down.

Nible McNoble cancels admiring own fine platinum statue. Interrupted by fire imp.

Nible McNoble has been struck down.

Cog McCleaner lost a friend to tragedy recently. He was happy to have his sentence reduced recently.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2009, 06:49:22 am by galmud »

Puck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: April 26, 2009, 08:30:34 am »

have you ever been to Italy?
Several times, I basically live next door, but why do you ask?

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: April 27, 2009, 04:06:43 am »

I.... don't know.

I really wanna go to italy
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8