Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Your Best Megaproject  (Read 1180 times)

Crossroads Inc.

• Bay Watcher
  • Joined in the great Migration of 2009
    • View Profile
Your Best Megaproject
« on: February 26, 2009, 10:57:07 am »

A showcase of your best work.. Doesn't even need to be anythiny showyor fancy, just anything really BIG you have built :D
Ask not what the Dwarfs can do for you...
But ask.... why are they drunk all the time?

Akhier the Dragon hearted

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
Re: Your Best Megaproject
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2009, 04:15:53 pm »

i dont have pics or anything and i accidentedly deleted it but once i made this tower where all it was was a spiral of pumps from the very bottom zlevel all the way to the top. i had managed about 60 to 70 zlevels in that game. when i turned it on it took an fps of about 190 and dropped it down all the way to 5 or so. it was so dwarven it hurt. it made mist everywhere around it for like 3 or 4 tiles out.
Join us. The crazy is at a perfect temperature today.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

Sinergistic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2009, 04:49:46 pm »

http://mkv25.net/dfma/map-4664-metalgate something like that, then? Not my best, but it's my only megaproject on dfma.

edit: my* not the*

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2009, 07:24:40 pm »

You know, I hadn't even tried one megaproject until I started my community fort.  The three in that (which aren't even done) are the only ones I've done.

Oh, no wait, there was the Tilted Tower of Artifacts in the Mean Little Men succession game.  But that was kinda small.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Bromor Neckbeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dwarven pinball is a full-contact sport
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2009, 07:45:05 pm »

I don't actually have any pictures to post here, but I will once I get something worth looking at in my current fort.  My previous fort had a sort of "airlock" entrance which was two drawbridges 4 z-levels above the ground.  Once enemies came into the killing field, I'd seal them in by shutting floodgates on either side.  I could then drown them, fill them with bolts, or (best of all) activate the drawbridges, tossing them into the air.  This nearly always crippled but didn't kill goblins and was 90% fatal to kobolds.

As I got more and more surplus metal, I replaced the stone in the drawbridges with steel.  It ended up being a sort of giant pinball machine, except the "balls" bled and lost limbs.  I'm gonna do it even better this time around.

Styrre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2009, 09:57:35 pm »

My latest project?

The path to my fixed purpose is laid with iron rails, whereon my soul is grooved to run. Over unsounded gorges, through the rifled hearts of mountains, under torrents' beds, unerringly I rush! Naught's an obstacle, naught's an angle to the iron way!

Zai

• Bay Watcher
  • Elmo? Is that a SIMPLE UTENSIL?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2009, 10:02:36 pm »

My latest project?

[INSERTLARGEPICTURESHERE]

Oh lordy. That's hilarious. XD
DEATH has been waiting for you. He has poured you some TEA.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2009, 10:48:26 pm »

I did that to a goblin citadel once... good times  ;D

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

yaklin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2009, 10:56:25 pm »

My latest project?

how deep did you go and how much wood/stone did you get from that

Styrre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2009, 11:04:25 pm »

how deep did you go and how much wood/stone did you get from that

I went six or seven levels down, I think.
And according to the inventory screen, there were 2858 logs and 7555 blocks of stone in that village.

(Also, it took my computer the better part of ten minutes to calculate through the first step after I pulled the lever)
The path to my fixed purpose is laid with iron rails, whereon my soul is grooved to run. Over unsounded gorges, through the rifled hearts of mountains, under torrents' beds, unerringly I rush! Naught's an obstacle, naught's an angle to the iron way!

hexedmagica

• Bay Watcher
  • This headless lover of three
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2009, 03:40:35 am »

That is possibly the best use for humie towns ever.
They started to collide~

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2009, 05:01:20 am »

The biggest thing I've done is expand a tiny cave river to flow around the rest of the map. Impressive, I know. I also have a rather unimpressive human city I've created. Lots of granite and obsidian blocks, but pretty unimpressive. I've got a nice obsidian model of the Capitol Building, I think, or at thematically inspired by it.

But I've got big plans in store, boy do I.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Styrre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2009, 03:25:03 pm »

2858 logs and 7555 blocks of stone.

...wait a minute...

... I think I know what to do next.