Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 19

Author Topic: RTD: Unfettered Fate: Turn 23: Rolls Halted.  (Read 21902 times)

Golgath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
RTD: Unfettered Fate: Turn 23: Rolls Halted.
« on: February 26, 2009, 11:56:38 am »

Warning: Lots of text.
As I'm sure most of you are familiar with by now, an RTD is a pretty simple basic concept.  Make a roll for an action, the number determining the result, from one as an epic failure, with a six as (generally hideous) overkill.  Since introduction, this has proven to be popular, so I'll be willing to see if I can maintain an RTD.

There will be several major 'concepts', as far as how this world I'm working  on will function, which can be changed by mass player request.  As I've decided now, we will be sticking to several tenets, if only for a brief time...

Realism: Not in the strict sense, but think of Sean's RTD.  If you get shot in the head, you're probably dead, if you're bleeding out of half a dozen abdominal wounds, that's gonna be a bit more then an action penalty, etc.  This mostly applies to wounds, but I will try to keep things realistic where I'm not blatantly trying to do otherwise, like...  Magic.

Magic: In this world, as the last paragraph might hint at, there *will* be magic in some form.  How it works, how it functions, how you take advantage of it...  That's all up to me and the rolls.  I would encourage experimentation in this respect, though if you try something silly like 'I make everyone die', it won't work.  I'm going to be operating on the idea that you need to earn or otherwise activate powers before you can use them.  In this example, even if you get a perfect, you won't manage anything, though if I'm in  the mood I might write some long descriptor on how you've managed to fail.  Repeated attempts at blatant silliness in this respect will probably get you something, but it won't necessarily be a positive thing.  However, if your character grows extremely powerful in a particular respect, things become more likely.  You won't be able to accomplish world-spanning chaos from the first turn unless the rolls conspire to it.

Like I've said before, these could change if I find reason to do so.  I'll try to remain consistent in the game world, however, so there will need to be a compelling reason to do so.  I will put the introduction for the RTD (I.E., how things start for the characters) up once I get enough players..  Which leads to the next topic.

The amount of players I want to allow can be problematic.  Though I'd love to be able to have a dozen people playing, I've seen perfectly good RTDs grind to a halt because the creator couldn't keep doing the rolls, for whatever reason, so I'm sticking to a conservative number of six players, maximum, at this point.  This can also be subject to change...  This being my first attempt at an RTD, I want to make sure I can put everything together and keep it going.  If I feel like I can handle the extra load of players, I will possibly allow more players to join.  My current 'ceiling' sits at ten players, but that is not a concrete number. 

After this exhaustive wall of text that might (or might not) have made things a bit less blurry...
I will start trying to do rolls tomorrow...  Or tonight, if I get the chance.  Once we get things moving, I would like to do turns as quickly as possible.  If we can do five turns in a day, and I can handle the necessary writing, that will be fantastic.  I don't promise a particular schedule, but if everyone has their actions in, I will probably try to work on it if I am not busy with other things, and I have a goodly amount of free time.  If you want to join, but you think you can't post at least once a day, you should probably reconsider.  If a player falls idle, I will put them on 'AI', so to speak.  I'm not entirely sure how I'll handle that, but I will probably take up something similar to what Sean is using.  I'm going to be holding on to characters, so even if you have to leave for whatever reason, your character will be available (assuming they didn't get wiped out by the previous events) when you get back.  Forewarning about any leaves would be appreciated.

If you would like to join, then make a post.  If interested in talking to me over AIM/MSN about the RTD, send me a PM.  You can also ask questions here, as I won't have access to MSN until late tonight.  I can postpone the start of this if people want to make changes, but as said before I'd need compelling reasons, as I already have the basic concept laid out mentally.

I will try to respond as quickly as possible, but I'm currently distracted, so don't freak out if I don't answer you immediately.   ;)

Current Player List:
NUKE9.13
Cheeetar
Virex
Org
Jay Kayell
wehtamjd92
Xotes
Digital Hellhound

I've now decided that I can handle more players, so four more can currently join.
Auxiliary Player List:

EDIT: After prodding by Virex, I'll throw up the 'basic introduction' up here.  I'm at a loss as to what it is, exactly, so I'll just wing it. 

'What could be called light flickers across the plane.  There is simply no other word for it; it is a flat, barren wasteland, at least that is what some would call it.  Others may see a desolate beauty, perhaps, or some deep peace.  They are all wrong.  It does not appear to be a place of significance, but something builds, here.  Though the one who plots attempts to hide it's plans, there is still tension...  One so powerful cannot hope to avoid influencing it's surroundings to some degree, though it tries to mute it as much as possible.  Something is changed, a ripple spreads across the otherwise featureless plane, and suddenly, all seems to be 'normal' for this place once more.

Six entities are seized by titanic force, pulled from their rightful places, and inserted into another place of existence.  An area streaming with a seemingly meaningless babble of energies and materials, with a deep undercurrent of immense power.  Gradually, the entities manage to adjust slightly to this new world.  They are on an area of raised land, though their senses still cannot entirely comprehend this place.  There is a faint awareness at the back of their minds, as though they can feel the thoughts of others...  Those similar...

Summary!
To make it a bit more clear...  The six will start upon a hilltop.  They're obviously a bit confused by being pulled through space and time, and don't possess a very good ability to deal with the visual, auditory...  Well, any sort of input.  They are linked to each other, though they don't really understand the details of it, yet.  As-is, you don't have a direct physical presence on the world, though you'll be able to affect it to some degree.  How?  I only roll the dice.  The choice is now yours.  If you have to wreck the place, try to make it fun to write.

Also, you can post actions, now.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2009, 05:13:35 pm by Golgath »
I fully endorse the idea of mountain goats that hunt man.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: RTD: Unfettered Fate
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2009, 02:30:03 pm »

*NUKE9.13 jumps at the RTD before it fills up*

I can manage at least two posts a day at twelve hour intervals. Virtually guaranteed.
Long Live United Forenia!

Cheeetar

• Bay Watcher
  • Spaceghost Perpetrator
    • View Profile
Re: RTD: Unfettered Fate (Five slots remaining)
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2009, 04:05:36 pm »

I am in.
I've played some mafia.

Most of the time when someone is described as politically correct they are simply correct.

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
Re: RTD: Unfettered Fate (Four slots remaining)
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2009, 04:49:18 pm »

Hopefully, this'll be my first RTD, though there might be a problem with people from different time zones...

Golgath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2009, 04:58:02 pm »

Hopefully, this'll be my first RTD, though there might be a problem with people from different time zones...
If it becomes a major problem, we'll just have people set up multiple actions, and they can ask me to adjust where appropriate, or something like that.  Chances are, it will work out. 

Virex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2009, 05:14:24 pm »

If it becomes a major problem, we'll just have people set up multiple actions, and they can ask me to adjust where appropriate, or something like that.  Chances are, it will work out. 
Is that a chance with a 3 or one with a 6? ;)

Anyway, would you mind putting up a basic background already? Or do you want to wait untill there are enough players?
« Last Edit: February 26, 2009, 05:19:55 pm by Virex »

Org

• Bay Watcher
  • Daring Hero
    • View Profile
Re: RTD: Unfettered Fate (Three slots remaining)
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2009, 05:20:35 pm »

I wants in.

Golgath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2009, 05:23:13 pm »

Is that a chance with a 3 or one with a 6? ;)
On a three we sometimes miss a day, and thus don't update as often.  On a two, we'll probably only update once or twice a week.  On a one, my computer will implode in my face, chances are. ;D

Anyway, would you mind putting up a basic background already? Or do you want to wait untill there are enough players?
Basic background...  Well..  Should I put it up in the OP, or a new post entirely?

Virex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2009, 05:26:36 pm »

Basic background...  Well..  Should I put it up in the OP, or a new post entirely?

I'd put it in the OP, since that's what people read first ;)

Jay Kayell

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Lazy Man
    • View Profile
Re: RTD: Unfettered Fate (Two slots remaining)
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2009, 05:29:18 pm »

I'd like to join.
Decapitation - enjoy the difference

Golgath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: RTD: Unfettered Fate (One slot remaining)
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2009, 05:55:30 pm »

The 'basic introduction' is up.  As this whole thing is largely a test of my writing skills, suggestions, criticisms, all that fun stuff, I'm willing to listen to, though it may be better to PM me so we don't clutter the thread too much.  Like stated at the end of the ginormous OP, you can post your actions now.  I'll get the statuses set up once I figure out spoilers. (READ: get around to it)

Virex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2009, 05:59:55 pm »

To me, your writing seems fine to me, very fitting to the situation. I might have even left out the explanation to keep people even more confused. Might have created some hilarious reactions. Only thing that'll be difficult is determining exactly how much information you should give away to keep things interesting

Since you didn't post any requirements on races or something, I'm going free-form on this one ;)

Calm down! Calm down, no need to freak out because some divine force pulled you through the aether to here.

Here? What is "here" in the first place?

Let's see if I can get something to help me

I try to open a small portal to my home. While it might not be large or stable enough for me to escape, it'll enable me to take some tomes and equipment here. If the portal remains stable long enough I try to take a tome of Applied Pyrosynthesis, a tome of Luminometric Interferometry, a wide-spectrum chromoscope and a directional sonograph, in that order.

And here's to hoping things here work as I'm used to.

With that out of the way, allow me to introduce myself.
I am Pardath Victor Ambron Virex, but most choose to leave the titles. My race should not be of importance, but since you seem to be interested, some call my brethren Nightwings, due to our obsidian-like scales and leathery wings, which in my case are indeed limp, thanks for pointing that out, as well as our tendency to hunt by night. As far as I am concerned we are not related to dragonkin, but who's to tell with all these magical experiments running around?
« Last Edit: February 26, 2009, 06:24:59 pm by Virex »

Golgath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2009, 06:19:57 pm »

To me, your writing seems fine to me, verry fitting to the situation. I might have even left out the explenation to keep people even more confused. Might have some hillarious reactions. Only thing that'll be diicult is determening exactly how much information you should give away to keep things interesting
Appreciate the commentary...  I threw in the summary so people would have some idea of where to start off.  Your turn is a good example, though I don't require people to have a background for this particular RTD, though I'm quite happy to use them if supplied.  Gives me more of an idea of what your character would do if I have to 'AI' you, for example.

As a more general announcement, I'm alarmed at the amount of posting I'm doing, so I'll be trying to edit my posts to answer questions/add other stuff, that sort of thing.  I'm going to try to be on top of this, so if you don't see anything from me, check my last post and I might have said something there.

EDIT: You can, indeed, name your race, as long as you provide appropriate descriptors so I can describe something you were intending.  Mind you, seeing as the lot of you are lacking true physical bodies at the moment, it'll be purely aesthetic, but you won't need to roll for it.  ;)
« Last Edit: February 26, 2009, 06:25:25 pm by Golgath »

wehtamjd92

• Bay Watcher
  • Gorram reavers.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2009, 08:43:27 pm »

I'll join I'm on often to run my own RTD so if I didn't post it would be for good reason.
It takes someone special to put the laughter back in slaughter.

What did you all go and order a dead guy for?

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: RTD: Unfettered Fate (Actions needed for first turn.)
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2009, 02:07:25 am »

I scry the magical voltage of our location.
Long Live United Forenia!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 19