Dwarf Fortress > DF Suggestions

Suggestions Forum Organization

<< < (3/24) > >>

Mikademus:

--- Quote from: Neonivek on February 26, 2009, 08:06:06 pm ---We shouldn't cart magic off into its own forum as it is too vague for the average user ...
--- End quote ---
What alternative-universe forum are you perusing? Have you noticed what kind of game DF is? People that would find "magic" too vague wouldn't be able to even start Dwarf Fortress, those playing this game tends to be a far cry above the drooling masses. Self-selection at its best.

--- Quote ---... and including that there arn't all that many magic topics anyhow. If I see any subforums there BETTER be significant number of people creating that suggestion. Dealing with forum EXPLOSION clutter is far worse in my mind then occasionally dealing with at most 3 magic topics on the first page.
--- End quote ---
There are quite a few number of good threads on magic and a fair amount of shorter ones. There are 300 pages of suggestions, you know. Having the threads about magic in one place would mean it  being easier to find them as well as being easier to see what has already been suggested and continue an existing discussion. That a thread (or topic) isn't at the front page atm isn't an indication that it doesn't deserve a sub-forum, in fact, in an highly active forum it could just the opposite BE a clue to that it would benefit from a sub-forum because it would reduce thread redundancy.

Also, as far as I see you're the only one talking about a "forum explosion", Toady mentioned "a few select topics" (or a wording to that effect) and I suggested two sub-fora that would be well populated. This seems reasonable and a realistic solution to the current level of the issue.

Othob Rithol:
I'll throw my vote in for a few sub forums about key topics. It only makes sense that we can expect more productive discussion on a topic if all the references are collected in one place.

Magic and Combat are great choices.

Other topics that might benefit: Religion, WorldGen, Agriculture, Game Balance Issues, and anything Toady would like us, as the community, to brainstorm about.

I'm for anything that would help reduce the tension level of this forum.

Edit: now that I have had a chance to read some of the absolutely childish squabbling in the 3-4 threads Toady has redirected here, I know have to say: Toady we need mods. The only problem is that 99% of the people that would want the job are entirely unworthy of it. I can personally think of only one I would nominate...active in the community, knowledgeable about DF, cool headed, usually has something constructive to say, easy to get along with....but something inside tells me Granite26 would not want to be a mod.

Felblood:

--- Quote from: Othob Rithol on February 27, 2009, 02:52:09 pm ---Edit: now that I have had a chance to read some of the absolutely childish squabbling in the 3-4 threads Toady has redirected here, I know have to say: Toady we need mods. The only problem is that 99% of the people that would want the job are entirely unworthy of it. I can personally think of only one I would nominate...active in the community, knowledgeable about DF, cool headed, usually has something constructive to say, easy to get along with....but something inside tells me Granite26 would not want to be a mod.

--- End quote ---

We'd be lucky to talk him into being head editor of a wiki, but we'd be very lucky indeed.

I, for one, would love to see the Index and Summary concepts grow to fruition under his capable guidance.

Mikademus:
I have been moderator and admin of many places and the basic truth is: you don't want to be one. It is thankless and frustrating work, and imposes harsh limitations on your own freedom of expression. Also, you're damned beforehand because any intervention you make will piss someone off.

That said, this forum WOULD need some glorified janitors to split, merge and sticky threads.

Neonivek:

--- Quote ---What alternative-universe forum are you perusing? Have you noticed what kind of game DF is? People that would find "magic" too vague wouldn't be able to even start Dwarf Fortress, those playing this game tends to be a far cry above the drooling masses. Self-selection at its best
--- End quote ---

What forum in an alternative universe have you been to?

People lump ANYTHING and EVERYTHING into magic.

Thus it is too vague.

"Other topics that might benefit: Religion, WorldGen, Agriculture, Game Balance Issues"

WHOA WHOA WHOA!!!

Agriculture is much too narrow

WorldGen is good nothing to say here other then it could get a better name since most/all aspects of World Gen leak into the game.

Religion isn't going to be dealt with for a very long time... It doesn't get enough posts yet.

Game Balance, Too vague and it will only cause Forum wars with "Balancing Arrows goes in Game balance not combat stupid! FLAME WAR!"

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version