Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8

Author Topic: Suggestions Forum Organization  (Read 262682 times)

peskyninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Natural de-selector
    • View Profile
Re: Suggestions Forum Organization
« Reply #90 on: September 07, 2011, 11:46:24 am »

that was a joke  :P
Burn the land and boil the sea. You can't take the sky from me

Thou son of a b*tch wilt not ever make subjects of Christian sons; we have no fear of your army, by land and by sea we will battle with thee, f**k thy mother.

antymattar

• Bay Watcher
  • *Antymattar has created a Cat-ass-trophy*
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: October 27, 2011, 10:20:56 am »

How about we delete the last 200 pages of the suggestion forums to save a few Mb?

Silverionmox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: October 29, 2011, 06:29:48 am »

How about we delete the last 200 pages of the suggestion forums to save a few Mb?
Why? We're not exactly out of storage space.
Dwarf Fortress cured my savescumming.

antymattar

• Bay Watcher
  • *Antymattar has created a Cat-ass-trophy*
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: November 13, 2011, 05:21:24 am »

Well.... We already have 130419 posts. If you consider one ost to caontain an average of X letters then the total memmory would be 130419*X+(130419*128) bytes? Hmm.... Maybe that isnt much but still. Its not like toady is EVER going to look at something in page 456.

Silverionmox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: November 13, 2011, 11:23:55 am »

Well.... We already have 130419 posts. If you consider one ost to caontain an average of X letters then the total memmory would be 130419*X+(130419*128) bytes? Hmm.... Maybe that isnt much but still. Its not like toady is EVER going to look at something in page 456.
He reads posts as they come, and indexes the most interesting.
Dwarf Fortress cured my savescumming.

Escapism

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: April 28, 2012, 07:55:45 am »

I don't know how actively Toady/Threetoe reads this forum and how much time it takes, but I think that organizing suggestions in a decent way would help a lot. We could have either (or both!) sticky threads or a wiki page in which we would try to list suggestions in a very concise manner. This both prevents reposts (using the search function for this is a bit iffy, as you can use different words to describe the same thing) and makes it a lot easier for Toady/Threetoe to sift through them.

Supersnes

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Woodcrafter Competant Leatherworker
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: April 28, 2012, 07:34:50 pm »

I don't know how actively Toady/Threetoe reads this forum and how much time it takes, but I think that organizing suggestions in a decent way would help a lot. We could have either (or both!) sticky threads or a wiki page in which we would try to list suggestions in a very concise manner. This both prevents reposts (using the search function for this is a bit iffy, as you can use different words to describe the same thing) and makes it a lot easier for Toady/Threetoe to sift through them.

I agree with the sticky threads idea that there can be linked megathreads to act as an index of thoughts and ideas.  This will have to have some form of set criteria since it can be chaotic when this are brought of during a thread.  An example of this is the Religion megathread I had started with help from NW_Kohaku.  Its pretty crazy wading through the masses of forum posts that actually deal with the subject matter and devoted to its discussion, came to it from another topic(some actually still have good ideas), and/or have no relation to the topic.  However, if even a simple list can be made and organized the collection of ideas come together pretty well and begin to generate a far bigger picture and depth.
Personally, I like it because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
If murdering parents in front of their kids in the most gruesome manner possible is too much for you, you have not played Dwarf Fortress
You should be drowning babies by now, human.

Escapism

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: April 29, 2012, 03:16:32 am »

I agree with the sticky threads idea that there can be linked megathreads to act as an index of thoughts and ideas.  This will have to have some form of set criteria since it can be chaotic when this are brought of during a thread.  An example of this is the Religion megathread I had started with help from NW_Kohaku.  Its pretty crazy wading through the masses of forum posts that actually deal with the subject matter and devoted to its discussion, came to it from another topic(some actually still have good ideas), and/or have no relation to the topic.  However, if even a simple list can be made and organized the collection of ideas come together pretty well and begin to generate a far bigger picture and depth.
Yeah, systemizing it a bit would probably help a lot as well. Maybe using "tag" words for each suggestion to allow for easier browsing through the search engine. Hehe, that'd be one horrendous overkill... Realistically, though, I'm thinking we make only one sticky (to avoid cluttering up the first page), which links to megathreads which in turn summarizes suggestions in a major topic and links to threads which discusses single suggestions. That'd allow us to make quite a lot of megathreads, meaning they can be more specific. The suggestions in the megathreads would just consist of a headline and a few lines long description, along with links to relevant threads. Maybe also some part about things Toady has stated is planned/in the devlog?

Either way, I think these would make for more interesting discussions, as you'd get inspiration from the other suggestions. What major topics do we have as of now? I'm thinking (we could probably make due with fairly crude distinctions as of now):

- Combat/physics
- Magic
- Wildlife
- Labours
- Items/buildings
- Personality
- Worldgen/civilization related
- UI/game controls

Edit: I searched around a bit, found a few.
Underground diversity: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=22308.0
Aboveground diversity: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=31613.0
Religion: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=105640
Cooking: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=69453
Vehicles: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=72675

Any more that exists as of now?
« Last Edit: May 02, 2012, 04:22:47 am by Escapism »

Smashness

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHICS:SLEEP:UNTHINKABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: June 24, 2012, 02:13:22 am »

How 'bout working on thievery? It's pretty pathetic that you can't to diddily squat when you have someone else's goods. And also, what about being able to pickpocket? Like take the carving knives and coins that everyone has. You should really see if you could incorporate some of the Witch Hunter mod into the game, because they know what they are doing (Not that you don't). I saw on the dev page that you're working on hideworking, which these guys already have done. They also have some pretty cool magic stuff. Wow, long post.

Here's the Witch Hunter stuff: http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=6407

RabidAnubis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: July 12, 2012, 12:23:37 pm »

Yeah, systemizing it a bit would probably help a lot as well. Maybe using "tag" words for each suggestion to allow for easier browsing through the search engine. Hehe, that'd be one horrendous overkill... Realistically, though, I'm thinking we make only one sticky (to avoid cluttering up the first page), which links to megathreads which in turn summarizes suggestions in a major topic and links to threads which discusses single suggestions. That'd allow us to make quite a lot of megathreads, meaning they can be more specific. The suggestions in the megathreads would just consist of a headline and a few lines long description, along with links to relevant threads. Maybe also some part about things Toady has stated is planned/in the devlog?

Either way, I think these would make for more interesting discussions, as you'd get inspiration from the other suggestions. What major topics do we have as of now? I'm thinking (we could probably make due with fairly crude distinctions as of now):

- Combat/physics
- Magic
- Wildlife
- Labours
- Items/buildings
- Personality
- Worldgen/civilization related
- UI/game controls

Edit: I searched around a bit, found a few.
Underground diversity: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=22308.0
Aboveground diversity: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=31613.0
Religion: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=105640
Cooking: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=69453
Vehicles: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=72675

Any more that exists as of now?

And then we could make one more megathread above this and call it the arcanum of suggestions.  So then it would be easier to navigate, categorized, and leave no experienced forumer with any excuse for a failure.
Dwarf Fortress: Your game is working on giving NPC's lives. Our game is working on giving them a working nervous system.
Aahhh I can't find the fish cakes in the bunny level, they keep getting enraged and I don't have any holy hand grenades
The Age of Myth: Goldenhold

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware those who would keep knowledge from you.
    • View Profile
Modding Suggestions vs Coding Suggestions.
« Reply #100 on: February 17, 2013, 10:01:15 pm »

As the game becomes more complete, I'm really starting to see more and more need for a separation of the Suggestions megafolder into threads intended for suggestions/requests for things that could only be coded in by Toady One, and threads for things that can be immediately modded into the game, by players.

I was wondering if we could please have a Suggestions for Mods/Modding subfolder, with the main intention that it be a place for people to make requests of player-modders, for things they want to see in the game. Yes, people can mod these things in themselves, and that's perfectly fine, but I don't see any harm in there being a place for requests. It would also be a place for people to educate themselves and others on what it's possible to mod into the game already, to hold poles on what people most want modded into the game, and to locate mods that have already been made, saving a duplication of effort.

Importantly, it would additionally act as a repository for what's already been done, helping to reduce a duplication of effort, and helping people to find up-to-date examples of things they want to see in the game, that have already been modded in, or atleast to get ideas of where to start looking. It would be a subfolder for discussing the future of modding.

It seems like an obvious division. For instance, Suggestions for coding changes would obviously relate much more closely to bug reports and updates to the game, while the Suggestions for Mods/Modding subfolder could include requests for, and discussions about, additional modding tools, that would add to that aspect of the game, but be unrelated to the main game. 

The fact that the Modding megathread itself is larger than the Suggestions megathread itself should point
to there being enough interest in the subject to warrant a division, that there are people who enjoy modding the game as much as playing it, and that vanilla versions and modded versions of the game will only continue to increasingly diverge from one another.

The main modding thread would still hold all of the mods, themselves, and be the place to get help with mods, and to discuss existing mods. A suggestions subfolder would help keep the main folder cleaner and more organised, and help keep the focus of conversation threads on the mods themselves.

Having moddable requests separated out from Coding Suggestions, should make it easier for Toady One to find important mechanical functions that players would like to see added, or modified, and how directly they relate to the current version of the game, and any outstanding bugs, without having to wade through an enormous volume of perfectly moddable ideas, and general vagueness, while educating players on how empowered they are to make the game more like what they want it to be. 

This could be done with just adding new threads in the 'Modding' folder, but it would only add to the messiness of that folder, and I feel a subfolder is a better solution.

For they would be your masters.

Gokajern

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: March 14, 2013, 09:53:00 pm »

I totally 100% agree with SirHoneyBadger. Precisely I was trying to determine where to ask a question I had. Essentially I want to know if it will be possible to modify other races\creatures's sites, so instead of having standard randomly generated human towns, human towns with a randomly generated tower, or fortresses with sewers but no town, or instead of towns randomly generated pyramids, etc. Would this be a modding question? A modding tool suggestion\request? Bottomline I wasn't sure in which forum it could be asked.

With the proposed subfolders, suggestions could be categorized a lot better.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #102 on: July 21, 2013, 09:45:38 am »

Seeing how the modding forum got a couple of childboards, I dont think there is a problem with making modding requests directly in the modding forum. It is a lot emptier now that the most active threads have found a new home.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Scripts18

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: July 21, 2013, 10:23:28 am »

More map exploration in dwarf fortress mode (being able to explore the world map, sending expeditions, creating colonies, attack other civilization, etc)

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: November 05, 2013, 01:12:04 am »

I'm pretty sure that there is one topic that keeps appearing all the time, but due to how thinly the discussion is spread out it seems like it's not talked about a lot.
Magic.

Because of this, I suggest putting a stickied Magic Megathread to contain all the discussion of mehgeeks in one, convenient location.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8