Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8

Author Topic: Suggestions Forum Organization  (Read 258244 times)

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
Re: Suggestions Forum Organization
« Reply #30 on: June 02, 2009, 10:13:29 pm »

Just so people know what ideas are being accepted by toady, thought about or definitely out, could we get someone to go through and put a tick, question mark or cross beside each topic to see if it is alright or just silly.
Sorry Toady/Threetoe.
Am I in the right place?
Eh...this is in the dev pages kind of.
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

Drakis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 12, 2009, 04:01:12 am »

i would like to request a new subforum for megaproject discussion, ideas, and pictures

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #32 on: June 13, 2009, 08:59:21 pm »

I haven't been following the DF discussion board as closely as I'd have liked, but I see it's active enough to at least consider making a subforum.  Are megaprojects the main thing that's filling up the front page?  What is the reason for this particular split?

For that matter, the modding forum seems to have filled up as well, meaning that it has as many active topics as DF discussion and that they go off my (possible extended) first page.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2009, 10:11:03 am by Toady One »
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware those who would keep knowledge from you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 14, 2009, 12:13:36 am »

The modding board seems to be split between questions about modding, and mod-projects, themselves. It might be nice to see a division there, especially considering that mods themselves can be difficult enough to locate, as it is (For that matter, a stickied complete list of mods, with links and description to each mod, would be nice.).

The suggestions board doesn't seem to really have an obvious natural splits. It's very active, but doesn't seem to concentrate on any one subject over another.
For they would be your masters.

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 14, 2009, 07:59:21 am »

The distinction between a megaproject and other fortresses is very...
blurry.

The forum could use a forum division between group and private fortresses.
Group fortresses are passed around, like passing the buck.
Private fortress make mega projects far more often, and aren't shared amoung lots of people.
And of course, each would have their own forum.

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 29, 2009, 11:40:36 am »

The modding board seems to be split between questions about modding, and mod-projects, themselves.
This would seem to be one of the better ideas.

Another thought would be splitting off graphic sets, but that might be too much.
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
Tilesets

Tenebrais

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 02, 2009, 09:27:58 am »

The modding board seems to be split between questions about modding, and mod-projects, themselves.

Another thought would be splitting off graphic sets, but that might be too much.

I would say either split it between mods and questions or split it between aesthetic and functional mods.

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 02, 2009, 09:33:32 am »

Forum seems like a crap way to track good mods.  Perhaps we should leverage the eternal suggestion list and put a copy over there.  Everybody can put up their mods (along with a link to the forum post about it, inc link to download), and people can vote on their five favorite mods (I'd prefer 1-5 stars for each and give the avg, but we've got the voting page already).  That would auto-sort the mods by what was high quality.  New mods would be active in the forums, so they'd get advertised that way.  No worries that they were relegated to the bottom of the voting list.

My opinion, at any rate

P.S. Maybe separate into 'mods' and 'graphics packs'

Drakis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 07, 2009, 06:53:50 pm »

I haven't been following the DF discussion board as closely as I'd have liked, but I see it's active enough to at least consider making a subforum.  Are megaprojects the main thing that's filling up the front page?  What is the reason for this particular split?

For that matter, the modding forum seems to have filled up as well, meaning that it has as many active topics as DF discussion and that they go off my (possible extended) first page.

sorry about the delay in posting, forgot i made this suggestion.

what im talking about is an 'advanced fortress' discussion board, where things like casting an ice castle or such are discussed, and people can talk about their ideas for projects and such.    ive done a few projects in my time, but i always seem to get bogged down on them at some point and need help, and necroing old threads and trying to search for details on one specific way of doing things doesnt work ethier, and having to make a NEW post every time i need some help sucks too.

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware those who would keep knowledge from you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 09, 2009, 07:49:18 pm »

Who's currently managing the Wiki? Anyone?
For they would be your masters.

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 09, 2009, 09:10:26 pm »

I would say either split it between mods and questions or split it between aesthetic and functional mods.
I think splitting into modding questions (any), graphics mods, and content mods would be fine.
Forum seems like a crap way to track good mods.  Perhaps we should leverage the eternal suggestion list and put a copy over there. [snip]
This also seems like a good idea.

sirhoneybadger: I forget. They posted that they'd like someone to take it off their hands, though.
Tilesets

mizipzor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Blog
« Reply #41 on: October 16, 2009, 10:19:20 am »

If you dont like rants, you can stop reading now. ;)

Sadly, I hate forums. They truly are a thing of the past. Like basic html, it can do everything... everything in a really crude way. Choose whatever specialized system you want and it will probably do a better job. "The right tool for the right job", remember?

The PHP based voting system is the best thing IMO thats happened to this forum. If not the wiki. Im looking at the vote code right now for ways to improve it.

If I would have my way (god forbid), I would use something like GetSatisfaction for ideas, bug reports and praise (since thats what the systems intended for). Some open source variant of StackOverflow for questions-and-answers, something that system is intended for. The Wiki for documentation, because, again, its a system designed specifically for that task and IMO does it way better than any forum will ever hope for.

So what is a forum for then? Maybe the social aspect (something we must not forget). For newcomers that thinks forums is the only way to communicate over the internet. To point out the various special systems in case some content belonging somewhere else ends up here. The information hub of sorts maybe.

The forum has gotten so active that were all suffering from information overload. Its the very reason for this thread and its discussion. No one is allowed to suggest anything, because everything has been said at least once, and no one can find any statement about anything because a brutal majority of the content found through searches ends with the simple conclusion that "its been suggested before".

Yes, I do challenge you all. I dont believe this problem can ever be solved with traditional forums, being the stone age technology that they really are, alone. However, being a great enthusiast of communication (both by design and the psychological aspect) this is a very interesting discussion and I would like to be proven wrong.

Now get to it.

Silverionmox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 17, 2009, 03:18:18 pm »

A forum is for an exchange of ideas. Bug reports etc. would indeed be served better with a more formal way of submitting and automated checking whether they already exist.

It's not bad per se that some things are mentioned again from time to time. The program changes. The vision of the developer changes. The player base changes. Fashion changes. What was cool three years ago can be trivial, tasteless, surpassed or long since implemented now. All the discussion about gunpowder for example have made clear that there are two important schools of thought on dwarves and gunpowder, one of which can get its steampunk fix elsewhere, while the other is attracted to DF precisely because of its greater attention to internal consistency. In other words, the discussion between players is very valuable and makes design choices visible that wouldn't show from their collected suggestions. The sum of all suggestion will not necessarily please everyone that made the suggestions.
Dwarf Fortress cured my savescumming.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 23, 2009, 12:32:52 pm »

No one is allowed to suggest anything, because everything has been said at least once

I can find plenty of things to suggest. Heck I am going to continue my Artifact suggestion thread once I feel the inspiration.

My Three suggestions in the works are:
1) Transformation/Regeneration mechanics: which will focus on a frame by frame on the many cues and changes that go with them
2) Randomised Features: basically features that Sphere-type randomised creatures can develop.
3) NPC Interaction During a Quest: Focuses on the aid NPCs will give you before, and a bit of after, you complete and important quest.

I could post 2 of 3 of them as they are but I want to pad them out.

This is of course excluding the suggestions I've made but never followed through due to the tons of work it involved in explaining. There are two I remember
1) Spherical Land mechanics
2) Sanity, Psychosis, Neurosis, and eventual Insanity Mechanics

Craftling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 23, 2009, 08:24:49 pm »

Hey Neonivek can I post in that thread now please?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8