Dwarf Fortress > DF Dwarf Mode Discussion

How do you break an aquifer?

(1/3) > >>

Lucifer:
Every time I have this great map , nice flat for building a huge castle(my goal) , enough mountains to carve out, a brook and underground river , huge forests and sand for glassmaking, I have an aquifer, now I know some (or maybe a huge amount) of you have broken trough an aquifer.. I just can't use the aid on the wiki so I tried here...

Thanks , Lucifer

Akhier the Dragon hearted:
try adding a magma pipe to the equation. the walls around the magma pipe will be aquifer free for a couple tiles and you can use that to get through the aquifer and also magma improves sand making.

Fossaman:
There are several methods to break through an aquifer.

The most common is probably the pumping method. Build a bunch of screw pumps pumping a small space clear. Dump the water back into the aquifer at another location. Wall off the dry areas under the pumps, and you can dig down further. This takes advance planning for multilayer aquifers, which can be problematic.

Freezing, magma, cave ins, and digging through ore pockets are also common methods.

Porpoisepower:
Cave in from above or below?

Foa:

--- Quote from: Porpoisepower on February 27, 2009, 06:22:57 pm ---Cave in from above or below?

--- End quote ---
Above.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version