Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Beer, beer, beer. BEER!  (Read 9573 times)

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware those who would keep knowledge from you.
    • View Profile
Beer, beer, beer. BEER!
« on: February 27, 2009, 07:04:48 pm »

So this X-mas, my wife-er Santa-got me a beer making kit, because she's the best Santa, ever!

And I made the first batch, which turned out fine, but I starting wondering-this being a community of Dwarf Fortress players-if anyone else out there has been brewing their own?

So this is a thread for discussing that; for advice, for recipes, for anything related to the brewing of beer, and beer-related products: lager, ale, other varieties of beer, as well as mead, rootbeer, and cider, and other such drinks, on a small scale, but no wine (of the grape) or hard liquor, please, as they can kindly go in another thread.

(A disclaimer-this thread is intended for informative purposes only, and not for the use, perusal, or corruption, of children, the immature, the righteous, or for any criminal activity or wrongdoing, whatsoever. I deny that I exist, or have ever existed, for any legal purposes, particularly lawsuit.)
« Last Edit: February 27, 2009, 07:30:23 pm by SirHoneyBadger »
For they would be your masters.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
Re: Beer, beer, beer. BEER!
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2009, 07:09:53 pm »

Heh, I remember getting my dad a beer-making kit ages ago...  Quite fun.

However, since he was the one doing all the brewing, I don't really know diddly about beermaking.  All I can suggest is that you keep your stuff in a basement (underground environments provide just the right temp for beer.  Hmmm...) and make sure to get a nice dark roast so that you get the kind of beer flavor I like.  Because my opinion is law.

inaluct

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2009, 07:12:59 pm »

My dad is planning on brewing some San Pedro tea. Not really the same as beer, but still. Brewing.

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2009, 07:26:19 pm »

I'm not sure where to get that kind of cactus around here, but I'm in Utah, so it can't be impossible, but I really don't know much about it, other than that it's mescaline, and it's legal to cultivate, although not for consumption purposes.
(Which reminds me, I'll have to add a legal disclaimer to the OP.)

How does your dad make it?

Yeah, I definitely like darker beers/roasts better (my favorite popular brand is Guinness).

Infact, I've been doing some research, and I'm thinking of actually adding chocolate and molasses to a beer, for flavor.

Possibly even espresso beans.

Most people think of beer as just being hops, malt, water, and sugar, but there's actually quite a lot of different ingredients you can incorporate into a beer, and I like to experiment.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2009, 07:50:05 pm by SirHoneyBadger »

inaluct

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2009, 07:35:33 pm »

I don't live with my father, so I'm not exactly sure what he plans to do. I think it involves cutting up about a foot long piece of the cactus, boiling it, straining it, boiling it again, and probably straining it a few more times. And then drinking it.

He lives in New Mexico, so I assume you could do it in Utah, too.

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2009, 07:59:46 pm »

I looked it up, and I've actually had these kinds of cacti before, so it's definitely not an impossibility.

They're pretty amazing plants-I didn't know the name at the time, but I had one that survived in a box for 3 months, without sunlight (it got lost in a move), and was fine, afterwards.

Since our dwarfs are getting souls in DF, Toady might be interested in this, since San Pedro is traditionally used to promote spiritual healing. So maybe along with physical medicines, we might get spiritual ones, as well?

Wow, it didn't take long for this thread to derail.  ::)
« Last Edit: February 27, 2009, 08:40:08 pm by SirHoneyBadger »

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2009, 09:31:31 pm »

Once upon a time we did some serious distilling out behind the house...  Was never strong, or good, or cost effective, but it was booze...

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2009, 09:42:35 pm »

Since our dwarfs are getting souls in DF, Toady might be interested in this, since San Pedro is traditionally used to promote spiritual healing. So maybe along with physical medicines, we might get spiritual ones, as well?

heh.  What is this soul thing, and can i get one by eating someone else's?

I dont know if its brewable, but the Agave is definitly distillable.  and spiritual, to boot.  Our Lady of Guadalupe (and i am taking liberties with the word "our" here, as I'm a bit pale to be talking about the virgin that way) is usually depectied as emerging from or standing in an Agave cactus.

must be something to it, if its crossed multiple cultures and cactuses.

Old-Man-Gator

• Bay Watcher
  • Pickled Prawn
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2009, 03:46:08 am »

I know a couple of guys who run micro-breweries, perhaps they might know something you can play with.

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2009, 05:46:45 am »

One thing I'd really like to know more about is making the malt itself, and roasting the various grains.

Also, blending in other flavors, and experimenting, is something I'm really interested in.

I'm brewing on an extremely small scale here (I'm not a big beer drinker, and neither is my wife, and we're already through my first batch, which consisted of less than 8 litres and lasted over a month), so making in enormous quantities isn't a big consideration for me.

Zasit Alebath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://jedvagenij.blog.hr
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2009, 02:08:48 pm »

(A disclaimer-this thread is intended for informative purposes only, and not for the use, perusal, or corruption, of children, the immature, the righteous, or for any criminal activity or wrongdoing, whatsoever. I deny that I exist, or have ever existed, for any legal purposes, particularly lawsuit.)

sig'd
I deny that I exist, or have ever existed, for any legal purposes, particularly lawsuit.)
'b' is different than 'x' and a Bed doesn't hold back magma as well as a Floodgate no matter how fast you type.

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2009, 05:43:03 pm »

8)

Foa

• Bay Watcher
  • And I thought foxfire was stylish in winter.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2009, 09:28:23 pm »

I make hard syrup, intended for drinking, not really intended for pancakes.

codezero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2009, 10:55:10 pm »

To make malt, according to the CWA of 1978;
"Wash some wheat, put it into a thin muslin bag, and put to soak in water for 24 hours. Winter is best for this, as it is liable to turn sour in summer. When soaked, lay on a damp bag on the ground, with another wheat bag on top. Keep the bags damp, and as soon as the wheat begins to shoot(the young shoots will show thru the muslin bag) take out and dry, and bake a pale brown in the oven. Mill."
Not an exact quote but very close.

Sir_Geo

• Bay Watcher
  • !
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2009, 02:26:53 am »

I make hard syrup, intended for drinking, not really intended for pancakes.

how... how do you make it and how awesome is it? 0_0 I must know!
The logistical problems dealing with a private space colony are at least as bad as dealing with the zombies.

http://mkv25.net/dfma/map-5403-fortressdipped
Fortressdipped, my ice castle.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4