Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Alpha Release of my Hobbit Package.  (Read 4879 times)

Monkeyvich

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Alpha Release of my Hobbit Package.
« on: February 28, 2009, 01:27:54 am »

Greetings!

I have composed a very basic mod (first in a series of modular add-ons that I have planned), which adds Hobbits as a playable race in both Fortress and Adventurer mode.

As if I have to describe them, Hobbits are less stout and sturdy than dwarves, but roughly the same size.  They have no need for steel manufacturing, but are masters of farming and brewing.  They do not use large swords, halberds, pikes, bows, or crossbows, but use slings better than any other race.  They are notorious for their cultivation of hempen-weed for both clothing, food and ... well, pipe use.

Give them a spin and see what you think.  Let me know of any problems.  I am aware that their language file is not complete (using Human for now, and some of the hobbity symbols aren't in there, that is planned to be fixed as soon as I have a spare day to hobbit language formation).  Other than that, they should work great.  Please give me feedback on both Fortress mode (either playing them or just trading with them) and Adventurer mode if you can.

Instructions bundled in the .rar file.

Thanks!
Monkeyvich

Download it at DFFD!
http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=858

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
Re: Alpha Release of my Hobbit Package.
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2009, 05:19:55 am »

hmm seems i have competition. :p

TheNewerMartianEmperor

• Bay Watcher
  • ♥She'd cut you up!♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2009, 12:19:20 pm »

I've noticed something: The default embark crops/booze for the hobbits appears to be rat weed/sewer brew. I thought the hobbits were supposed to have good taste! Maybe you could mod in high quality crops for them to grow. About restricting their power in worldgen: maybe you could make it so they only like good areas.
Once tried to conquer Earth, and succeeded! Too bad it got really, really boring, really, really fast.

One day, we shall all look back on this, and laugh. Sorry about the face, by the way, and the legs, and the eyes, and the arms. In fact, sorry 'bout the whole body.

Monkeyvich

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2009, 01:36:24 pm »

I've noticed something: The default embark crops/booze for the hobbits appears to be rat weed/sewer brew. I thought the hobbits were supposed to have good taste! Maybe you could mod in high quality crops for them to grow. About restricting their power in worldgen: maybe you could make it so they only like good areas.

You can add whatever aboveground drinks that are available to your civ.  Not sure why it defaults to a random drink (i've had it default to prickle berry wine, wild strawberry wine, seems fairly random).

As far as the crops go, I plan to add more.  I just had to have the hobbits' favorite smokable in the mix from the get go...  XD

I am still tinkering with their biome settings.  Not sure why they seem to be so successful and aggressive in worldgen... O_O

Monkeyvich

deepwatch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2009, 03:25:29 pm »

Hi

Just a technical note: The term "Hobbit" is a trademark.

You can check it here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hobbit

Even you are doing a private mod, this is the forum of a "official" game.

I know, its somewhat stupid, but i just want point it out.

Perhaps its a good idea to rename it to "halfling" mod.

Monkeyvich

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2009, 04:51:56 pm »

If I get a letter, I'll bloody change it.   Things not for profit, or considered satire, are protected speech and in no way am I representing my FREE MODULE as in any way Lord of the Rings related.  If someone wants to send me a cease and desist, fine.  But be sure I'll publicize such an action.  :P

Just like Jon did when Goats got sued by Reese's.

Monkeyvich
valiant crusader monkey go!

The opinions expressed in this post are the opinions of the user of "that (underscore) keith (at) hotmail (dot) com" and are in no way representative of Bay 12 games, the Forum Administrators, or anyone else besides "That" Keith / Monkeyvich and anyone else with a gram of common sense and without a retardedly itchy and public-relations-nightmare-inducing suing trigger finger.  Amen.

Have a nice day?  :D

Drunken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2009, 04:57:02 pm »

I dont respect the sale or ownership of intellectual property over fiction. JRRT is dead, it's his word, we can't allow some corporation to tax our childhood memories. Everyone use the word hobbit at every possible moment, and don't forget to thank the author (posthumously) with a credit.
A stopped clock is right for exactly two infinitessimal moments every day.
A working clock on the other hand is almost never ever exactly right.

deepwatch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2009, 06:38:29 pm »

You don't get the point, Sir.

As i said, YOU are a private person.

This forum is it not, its part of Dwarf Fortress, i assume Toady is
paying taxes for the donation...

There are lawyers out there which make their living by find that kind
of patterns. Its unlikely happens in this case, but possible.

jester

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarvern Survialist Nutter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2009, 10:40:02 pm »

Lawyers like money and there is bugger all to be had in this case.  The international nature of the forum and its membership also make it a bit of a bastard to nail down in a legal sense.  If toady is distributing df for free then all that can really be done is having this topic removed from the forum.  Toady has built the game engine but any mods created by third parties are not under his control in any way (apart from them being listed on the forum).
  And if trouble does come around im sure that someone from a country whose goverment takes a slightly dim veiw on this sort of rampant copywriting would be willing to take the thing over for kicks and giggles.

What sort of unmitigated little turdlet copywrites the word hobbit anyway? 
 (yeah its more of a rant than anything helpful but this sort of thing really shits me)
If life gives you lemons, burn them.

Tigershark13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2009, 02:42:13 am »

Answer= a 10Z level drop starvation pit filled with weapon traps :D

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2009, 09:24:02 am »

umm never mind ......
« Last Edit: March 02, 2009, 09:26:04 am by bloodsheder »

Monkeyvich

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2009, 01:19:28 pm »

Has anyone tried my hobbit mod ?

Feedback on it would be great.  XD

dead dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2009, 01:05:20 pm »

just tried it for the first time and generated a small world.

all the goblins were gone!

will try again and see if it happens again.  perhaps the "good races" (if you can call dwarves and elves good) wiped them out.

dead dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2009, 01:19:39 pm »

the goblins made it the second time.  going to add the orc mod as well to see how everyone gets along!

Karadan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2009, 01:26:02 pm »

just tried it for the first time and generated a small world.

all the goblins were gone!

will try again and see if it happens again.  perhaps the "good races" (if you can call dwarves and elves good) wiped them out.

The world is not divided into "evil races" and "good races"  Rather it runs the whole gamut from "Evil races" to "Annoying Races"... and then there is us.
and have no idea ... if building buildings out of water is a bad idea.

GENERATION 27:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Pages: [1] 2