Dwarf Fortress > DF Dwarf Mode Discussion

New to DF

<< < (2/4) > >>

DI7789:
I read Boatmurdered, instantly hooked.

ToonyMan:
I guess it depends on the type of person.

Jim Groovester:
The ascii graphics are big obstacle to many players, as well as the steep learning curve. A graphics pack can help with the first, and the DF wiki can help with the second.

Though, really, refer him to some of the more ridiculous DF stories that are out there. If the prospect of flooding the world with magma doesn't excite him, then there's no hope.

AncientEnemy:
I would recommend the following:

make him a new install with a graphics pack installed, and go through the init and streamline everything.

set him up a basic embark package focusing mainly on the basic 'get everything going' skills, and give the dwarves Novice levels in skills you wouldn't otherwise give them, just so they'll start with that labor enabled and he won't have to spend time figuring out how to enable architecture labor on a dwarf just so he can build such-and-such. I actually still do this just for the convienience.

perhaps even start a save with the bare basics already set up, build him a functioning farm, food stockpile, some beds, a small dining area. In my experience one of the major hurdles to my newb self was just figuring out those things. Name the dwarves so they're easier for him to keep track of.

turn him loose on that and show him the wiki.

when i get around to it I think I may write a 'your first fortress' article of my own, but much more simplistic. the current article is definately very helpful, but i find that (As often the case with people trying to teach someone) it still has a tendency to overload you with information, and it's difficult for the beginner to understand what exactly they should be doing when presented with so many things they could do.

Tallefred:
I heard about it on the Darkfall forums. Tried it out but gave up in disgust after around 20 minutes. A few months later there was another discussion about it, and someone directed me to the wiki. I followed the "my first fortress" article until I had mastered the basics, then started messing arounf until I got wiped by a goblin ambush.

The real problem with starting out is that it's extremely disorienting. The wiki article gave me a direction and held my hand through the "oh shit dehydrated is that bad???" stage of the game. Stick around and give advice if your friend gets stuck.

I tried getting a few people into the game, with no success. Everyone took one look at it and got turned off by the graphics. Maybe get him to read some of the stories first (boatmurdered captures the chaos pretty well- avoid the ones with any actual story as they don't give a feel for the game). Don't be surprised if he refuses to even look at it though.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version