Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: How to trade with dwarves.  (Read 4674 times)

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
How to trade with dwarves.
« on: March 01, 2009, 10:00:34 am »

Are you playing with a mod that allows you to play as an entity other than dwarves?  Are you irritated that you cannot trade with dwarves while playing as them?  Look no further!  The answer to your problems lies within one simple file!

http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=863

How does it work?  It adds in a non-playable version of the dwarven entity.  Since this is seen as a different entity from the playable version of dwarves, it will visit your non-dwarven playable civ forts!  Modders who have added in playable civs and offered them to the community can also use this trick to make their new races trade with other playable civs!

The only catch is that it effectively doubles the number of dwarven civs, so don't be surprised if the non-playable civ doesn't always show up.

Edit:
The Dwarf entity default has no Progress Trigger tokens.

You need to add:

[PROGRESS_TRIGGER_POPULATION:1]
[PROGRESS_TRIGGER_PRODUCTION:1]
[PROGRESS_TRIGGER_TRADE:1]

To the Dwarven entity. Doing make it so they will only come when you meet requirements. Normally, they don't have these settings so they never show up.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2009, 08:39:20 pm by LegoLord »
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

woose1

• Bay Watcher
  • Yay for bandwagons!
    • View Profile
Re: How to trade with dwarves.
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2009, 11:41:31 am »

You need a posterboard to advertise this better.

Besides that; ty omg rofl!!@$!~#!

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2009, 12:26:36 pm »

I don't know what that last means.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

woose1

• Bay Watcher
  • Yay for bandwagons!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2009, 12:32:28 pm »

It is Internet Malarky.
I picked it up on 4chan.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2009, 03:51:09 pm »

Erm . . . and you use it why?
Just so I remember

Blakmane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2009, 03:15:19 am »

I assume this is only relevant if you have more than one civ set to playable at the same time? I've never had any trouble trading with other/new civs, as long as I set only one to be playable at a time.

Or is there some innate bug with dwarves specifically that I have just overlooked?

WorkerDrone

• Bay Watcher
  • Hey, if you can dream it, you can do it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2009, 09:48:41 am »

Erm . . . and you use it why?

You HAVE seen 4Chan, yes?

Take a look, and you'll see why the corruption set in so fast.

Tigershark13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2009, 01:39:58 pm »

nice avatar worker :P

(though Imp guard are more fun)

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2009, 07:29:18 pm »

I assume this is only relevant if you have more than one civ set to playable at the same time? I've never had any trouble trading with other/new civs, as long as I set only one to be playable at a time.

Or is there some innate bug with dwarves specifically that I have just overlooked?
Yes, it is supposed to be a universal fix for dwarves when you have more than one playable civ.
Just so I remember

profit

• Bay Watcher
  • Finely Crafted Engravings... Or it didn't happen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2009, 08:20:01 pm »

What luck, I happen to have a posterboard.
Mods and the best utilities for dwarf fortress
Community Mods and utilities thread.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2009, 08:38:30 pm »

What luck, I happen to have a posterboard.

Cool, thanks (thumbs up)
Just so I remember

Adamantine Fist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2009, 09:59:53 pm »

I currently have the Dwarves, Humans, and two new races I've modded in myself set to playable, and it seems I am able to regularly trade with the elves, humans, and usually at least one or two other civs at the same time, though never the dwarves. Does making a civ playable remove the ability to trade with it? If so, I wonder exactly how I'm managing to trade with all these civs...
and D) involve Clippy, the helpful paperclip, to tell you what to do.
It looks like you are trying to commit elven genocide! What would you like to do?

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2009, 10:48:36 pm »

Hm.  Interesting.  Perhaps it has something to do with humans being in vanilla that allows you to trade with them while playing another race that is also labeled playable?  I've only encountered the problem of no interaction with new playable civs when the civs are entirely new, rather than modified versions of vanilla civs, as I've never tried Human Town before.
Just so I remember

Kruniac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2009, 12:28:12 am »

On that topic - I play as Humans constantly.

I always get TWO trade liasons when the humans come. One from the "Mountainhomes", and another from the "Merchant's Guild". In other words, I'm getting the "Dwarf Default" trader and the "Human default trader". In fact, the latter even calls my people "Stout Dwarves".

I have NEVER encountered a dwarven caravan or trader. I always embark with all civs accessible to the site, and have yet to encounter a single Dwarf for trading or war.

CIV_PLAYABLE is only set for the humans, no one else. Can't figure out what the problem is.

Mokuren

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2009, 04:30:38 am »

I always get TWO trade liasons when the humans come. One from the "Mountainhomes", and another from the "Merchant's Guild". In other words, I'm getting the "Dwarf Default" trader and the "Human default trader". In fact, the latter even calls my people "Stout Dwarves".

The "Dwarf Default" trader is hardcoded. That is: if it comes from your own civilization, it will come from the "Mountainhomes", regardless of anything else.

Also, any trader that is not from your civ will call your people "Stout Dwarves" even if they get everything else right.

The fact you get two kinds of traders may have something to do with the fact that default civilizations have a little bit of hardcoded stuff or anyhow seem to be a bit wonky. Try changing the humans' entity name from PLAINS to something else (PLAINS_BLAH), you'll have to delete your data/object folder and then generate a new world thought, but that should fix it.

Should, mind you.
Pages: [1] 2