Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: No wood, no water... no hope?  (Read 1398 times)

TCHJ3K

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
No wood, no water... no hope?
« on: March 01, 2009, 11:00:57 am »

So I started (yet another) new fortress earlier. The embark screen said there were trees on one of the biomes (I picked a spot which sat across three different ones) and a brook. However, since I picked an area near the top of a mountain in hopes of finding some magma, I've evidently managed to get a spot which is too high for trees... I've mined down several levels and dug exploratory shafts all over the place, and so far I've found absolutely no water, no indication of magma, and about three pieces of bituminous coal...

Since it's looking like I don't have any water at all, and I'm not having any luck finding anything to use as fuel for smelting, is there anything I can do to salvage this location, or should I abandon it and try to find somewhere less annoying?

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
Re: No wood, no water... no hope?
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2009, 11:02:48 am »

If you find magma, feed it to your dwarves. If not, catch the rain in murky pools and then close a drawbridge over them to retain the water.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Hagadorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO-GIFTS] [NAUGHTY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2009, 11:20:40 am »

Injured dorfs who get bed ridden, are gonna die.

No ifs or buts. Pray for rain (and dig a pond) and trade for charcoal, lignite, coal and wood.

OR! if its got HFS, dig down to it, breach it, abandon and come back in adevnture.
You see, booze is a parasite. It lives off dwarves and compels them to dig into the ground so as to create massive defences to protect it's self. It really shouldn't be called dwarf fortress, Booze fortress would make much more sense.

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2009, 12:00:19 pm »

You do have soil though? If not it may need to be abandoned.
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

Tallefred

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2009, 12:38:21 pm »

Just build a million rock trinkets and trade them away for whatever you need. Your first year will be tough but one craftsdwarf working nonstop will provide more trinkets than you can ever hope to need.

The water thing might be a problem. Make sure you build lots of coffins.
This is to make me recognizable.

Angellus

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2009, 01:34:03 pm »

Just build a million rock trinkets and trade them away for whatever you need. Your first year will be tough but one craftsdwarf working nonstop will provide more trinkets than you can ever hope to need.

The water thing might be a problem. Make sure you build lots of coffins.
XD or just designate a dumping place

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2009, 01:38:19 pm »

We have no water or any fluid at all, what are your orders?

Make trinkets.

Ironic isnt it?

Hagadorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO-GIFTS] [NAUGHTY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2009, 01:39:25 pm »

Bah, Every fortress needs a huge overly ornate burial chamber for the multitude of dorfs who will die in your deathtr... err, fortress.
You see, booze is a parasite. It lives off dwarves and compels them to dig into the ground so as to create massive defences to protect it's self. It really shouldn't be called dwarf fortress, Booze fortress would make much more sense.

Angellus

« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2009, 03:01:28 pm »

Bah, Every fortress needs a huge overly ornate burial chamber for the multitude of dorfs who will die in your deathtr... err, fortress.
I have a huge refuse pile just for that cause  ;D