Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Above ground fortresses  (Read 574 times)

exoleet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Above ground fortresses
« on: March 02, 2009, 03:38:04 am »

Does anyone have any advice on how to get one going?

I can start one, yeah, but designating for construction is akward, and the infrastructure is always messed up. I'm used to underground fortresses.

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Above ground fortresses
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2009, 04:03:25 am »

Defense is one of the hardest things. Unlike digging in, choke points tend to not exist until you make them. Consider a dry moat to start with a drawbridge. If you have sand/soil, novice miners can dig it out in nothing flat. You need to look at your terrain differently - look for features that you can incorporate into your defenses, where predators may come from, and so on.

My above ground buildings are actually dug out of low hills. Makes it much easier. I decided to set a uniform ground level for my settlement and level the hills down to that level by carving out the building shapes. It's pretty fast and you can use the stone generated to build your other buildings.

Once you get the hang of designating construction, it goes pretty fast. The hardest thing is remembering that you can't build corners from the inside, so on 2nd floors and higher you need to build two parallel walls, wait for the corners to go in, then build the other walls. Sometimes it's faster to designate walls and then cancel construction to add in a doorway or a fortification. You'll get a process after some trial and error.

Here's an older map of my current fort.

Ivefan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2009, 04:53:02 am »

Don't have anything to add to martin so i'll just give you another example
http://mkv25.net/dfma/map-4344-woundtonetemplecity

Goblin Macelord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2009, 05:29:43 am »

Well yee, the next level of selfassking is starting dwarf wooden jungle fort. 
Goblins! They don’t drink booze, eating bones, killing dwarfs, shaving beards and simply looks cool! Yes, Goblins are awesome!