Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: CWAL Succession Game  (Read 18036 times)

diefortheswarm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
CWAL Succession Game
« on: March 02, 2009, 04:41:50 am »

I decided to go with just some very minor modding.

Elves have a trade liaison.

Humans bring steal, stone, and gems.

deblocker and economic stone reactions. This will make all stones show up in the economic stone menu though they will not all be economic stones.

Goblins feel no fear and have black blood.

I did NOT mod any additional soil types into sand despite was I said earlier.  I did not notice there is red sand at the bottom of the site.

In the init file make the following settings.

[TEMPERATURE:YES]
[WEATHER:YES]
[ECONOMY:YES]
[INVADERS:YES]
[CAVEINS:YES]
[ARTIFACTS:YES]
[ZERO_RENT:NO]

The succession order is as follows.  Each person plays for 1 year ending on the first day of the new year.  Additional people (as long as they are a cwaler) can be added to the rotation at any time.  They will be placed at the end of the rotation.

diefortheswarm
Legacy
The V Man

I will email the map files back and forth between players.  Email me or post your email so I can do this.  My email is strike_it_rich@hotmail.com.

When you start your turn you will replace the name of the mayor with your alias. You will then play the game for 1 year. At the end of your turn you will name another random dwarf your alias and pass on the game to the next player. If the dwarf you gave your alias to does not survive until your next turn, be creative when writing your alias back into the story. You may also give some of the dwarves the names of other CWALers who do NOT play DF. Just be creative in the way you use them in the story, and please do not add every CWALer to the fortress in 1 turn.

Rules for gameplay are as follows.

No atom smashers!
No cooking booze!
No completely sealing off the fortress from the outside world.
No modifying smelter reactions! You will use what you have and be happy to do so.
Dwarf Manager is expected to be used by all players at all times.
The only other 3rd party program allowed is Dwarf Companion. It may be used to heal and bring back to life trade liaisons. You may not use it for anything else!!!

diefortheswarm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: CWAL Succession Game
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2009, 04:42:25 am »

1st of Granite 201

We have arrived at the site of the future Dwarf outpost Mirroredtorches.  I can't believe I have been forced to start a new settlement in such a dangerous area with nothing but 2 shields and some leather armor to defend ourselves.  What's more, the Dwarf wielding the shield is a lowly recruit.  I have to train him myself.  Well no use winning like an elf.  Time to strike Earth.

Since this fortress can expect indefinite expansion threw immigration, I chose a factory fortress type layout.  It will take several years to complete, but we can get started immediately.  The workshops will store raw materials and finished goods directly above and below them.  This will drastically reduce hauling time.  The levels are as follows.

Level 1 - Recreational facilities, statue gardens, dining halls, Zoos, and the Trade Depot.  This level is made up of  14 by 14 rooms in which the ceiling can be removed to let in sunlight.

Level 2 - Storage rooms.

Level 3 - Storage rooms

Level 4 - Workshops

Level 5 - Storage rooms

Level 6 - Storage rooms

There is a large flat plain on the upper righthand corner of the map.  If we dig out the first level inside it, we can remove the ceiling and have sun-roofs.  We can then use Dwarven engineering to cover up the openings with rock floors while still allowing the light to pass threw.  Too bad I was not allowed to take an axe.  Those trees are not going to chop down themselves.

Work is progressing rather fast.  The entrance requires tunneling threw solid obsidian.  I ordered the mechanic to make a mason's workshop and use it to build an armor stand.  You should have heard the little pansy ass Elf bitch.  I asked him if he was sure he was not just a midget human drunk in disguise.

Well the Armor stand is set up right next to the wagon.  Now I can start training this pussy ass Elf wannabe recruit.  I ordered the mechanic to make some stone blocks and use them to build the Trade Depot.  He wined like an Elf in a lumber yard about how he was trained as ONLY a mechanic and he expected to get ONLY mechanic related jobs.

The Trade Depot is complete and it is wagon accessible.  I told the mechanic to start building mechanisms and since he was such a winey little Elf to haul the mechanisms himself.

The miners are hard at work clearing out the soil layer.  They just attempted to drain a surface pool into their tunnels.  There was plenty of room for the water, but they could not wait for it to drain before rushing in to mine around the pool.  They run into the water to mine, go in over their heads, swim back out, and immediately run back in again.  If one of you idiots drown you are NOT getting a funeral.

Training the new recruit in wrestling has gone much better then expected.  He and myself are now legendary wrestles.  We even got to kill a Kobold who tried to steal from the wagon just a few tiles away from us.

The first Goblin ambush just struck.  They decided to ambush the outdoor barracks while we were training there.  On the plus side, we have some additional shields non.

A second ambush came shortly after the first,  This time they went for the fort entrance.  We made short work of them again and no Dwarf was hurt.

The Dwarf trade caravan just arrived.  I had every stop whatever they were doing and bring all the obsidian mechanisms to the Trade Depot.  Meanwhile I met with the trade liaison.  I ordered picks, axes, shields, leather, cave spider silk, all the iron they could bring even if it was unsmelted ore, anvils, alcohol, wood, charcoal, and fish.  I then headed to the Trade Depot only to find out legendary military dwarfs cannot trade do to union rules.  I did not even know we had a union.  Well one of the miners had to trade and he did not even know how much the stuff was worth.  We do not even know how much of a profit they left with.

Well it is the end of the first year.  I finished the top level and even removed the roof from one of the rooms to serve as a meeting area.  The workshop level and an adjacent 100 room apartment block are also done.  The miners are still finishing the first storage level.  Too bad there was no time to make beds.  Oh well the next guy will handle it.

The V Man

• Bay Watcher
  • I AM MINTY FRESH, ARE YOU MY SEVEN?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2009, 08:42:28 am »

Sweet! We're running 40d9 right?

-V

diefortheswarm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2009, 09:29:21 am »

I don't think it matters.  You can run any 40.d version without a problem so it is up to you.

LegacyCWAL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2009, 12:02:26 pm »

Sounds pretty good!  Not very Fun yet, but that will come.  Oh will it come.  We're CWAL, and mixing CWAL with Dwarves, magma, HFS, and asshole cannibals can only end in !!☼<<☼Fun☼>>☼!! 8)

Also, the forum needs a sadistic smilie.

Some requests:

1) More screenies!  Succession games just aren't quite the same without depictions of our future sacrifices to Armok Dwarves hard at work ;)

2) More importantly, screens of the area.  At least of the embark map.  Sure, stuff like the brook won't be difficult to find, but it'll help when determining where to look for stuff like the underground river and the HFS.

3) Permission to use Dtil to try and turn a couple of the sandy clay tiles into sand.  They already count as sand due to your mods, so there wouldn't be any actual in-game effect, and I do not intend to make any other changes with it (and I mean that sincerely and literally).  It's just that for me, that mod doesn't sit quite right with me for some reason :-\

Some comments:

The workshops will store raw materials and finished goods directly above and below them.  This will drastically reduce hauling time.  The levels are as follows.

Sounds a lot like my typical layout.  I usually put all my workshops together, with raw materials above and below, just like you describe ;)

Too bad I was not allowed to take an axe.

Why not?  Voluntarily not taking an axe is fine with me, but if it doesn't even let you choose, that sounds like a potentially really nasty bug.
HIDE THE WOMEN AND DROWN THE CHILDREN, THE BARON HAS ARRIVED.

diefortheswarm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2009, 12:52:36 pm »

I chose not to take an axe so I could have 2 shields instead.  The Dwarf Traders usually bring one in the fall, but this time they didn't.  GG me, oh well.

Also there is red sand at the bottom part of the map that I did not notice before, so there was no soil modding.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2009, 02:00:56 pm by diefortheswarm »

LegacyCWAL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2009, 02:50:20 pm »

...holy hell.

You do realize that meeting the liason is going to require having fully half our military stop protecting the fort, right?

*continues working on the turn and the post*

LegacyCWAL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2009, 07:06:22 pm »

Well, I've finished two months, and it's been a rather eventful two months.  Chronicling it has burned me out for today, so I'll post what I have and run some more tomorrow.

== 1st Granite, 202 ==

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

== 17th Granite, 202 ==

== 21st Granite, 202 ==

== 2nd Slate, 202 ==

That's it for now.  I'm toast after recording everything that way.  I'll post more later.

diefortheswarm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2009, 07:12:07 am »

Be careful.  It is possible the Goblins may siege before the fort has 80 Dwarves.

LegacyCWAL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2009, 04:56:12 pm »

Good to know.  I'll have to get the wall up around our skylight ASAP then.

diefortheswarm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2009, 09:51:00 am »

I am sorry there was no Elf Liaison in this game.  I added the appropriate tokens, but having one show up is still a crap shoot in this version.  I will make sure the next game has one.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2009, 09:53:04 am by diefortheswarm »

LegacyCWAL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2009, 08:53:43 pm »

Aaaand the rest of the turn!

== 1st Felsite, 202 ==

== 5th Felsite, 202 ==

== 1st Hematite, 202 ==

OK, I can't take it anymore.  I'm turning off the job cancellation messages.  You can turn them back on if you want, but seriously:

== 17th Hematite ==

== 11th Malachite ==

== 13th Limestone, 202 ==

== 1st Sandstone, 202 ==

== 12th Sandstone, 202 ==

== 1st Opal, 202 ==

== 8th Obsidian, 202 ==

== 1st Granite, 203 ==

I don't like sending files by email, and don't want to fuck with upload sites, so I'm going to put the save file up on my RR.  I'll give you guys the link on the RR.

diefortheswarm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2009, 07:25:32 am »

Great Story!

I am a little embarrassed on how badly I chronicled my first turn.  The next one will be better.

Comments on gameplay.

Why didn't you put the beds in the rooms I carved out?!?!?!  I carved out a 100 room apartment block.  Each Dwarf could have his own room.  I am also pissed you did not buy all the leather I ordered.  I wanted to start a leather industry!

The V Man

• Bay Watcher
  • I AM MINTY FRESH, ARE YOU MY SEVEN?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2009, 08:12:43 am »

Heh nicely done.
I've got the files now and will start my turn tonight.

-V

LegacyCWAL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2009, 12:39:26 pm »

Great Story!

I am a little embarrassed on how badly I chronicled my first turn.  The next one will be better.

Comments on gameplay.

Why didn't you put the beds in the rooms I carved out?!?!?!  I carved out a 100 room apartment block.  Each Dwarf could have his own room.  I am also pissed you did not buy all the leather I ordered.  I wanted to start a leather industry!
...there was an apartment block?  Honestly, I thought it was just more workshop spaces, only kinda funny-looking.  Besides, I prefer to use z-levels to keep walking distance to a minimum: putting the rooms where they are now means they don't have to walk halfway across the fort to get somewhere relevant.  Also, the dinky little 3x1s I carved out are easier to manage the rent on when the economy kicks in:  I can give everybody their own room, with a coffer and cabinet, for as little as 44☼ in rent, and can easily jack that up through the roof with smoothing and good furniture.

As for the leather, with our forges finally up and running, about all that leather was needed for at the moment was bags.  So I thought that a full-blown leather industry could wait until we had better taken care of more pressing matters like the trap line and making more bins.  I did take the GCS chitin because it's awesome for moods (which I reserve for just such a purpose), and the cheap stuff would be enough to get things started when we finally got the leather business going.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4