Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: LancerHyme-Be Someone!  (Read 2287 times)

Smitehappy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
LancerHyme-Be Someone!
« on: December 27, 2009, 02:34:17 am »

I've been thinking getting others involved in my fort lately so I've create a little game.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

While I do appreciate the immediate interest I made this thread so I could get some help with the basic structure of the rules first. Please refrain from posting characters untill it's all worked out else I'm gonna get overwhelmed XD.

Well here's what I got so far for basic economy structure.

-Miners,Guards, Engravers, Growers, Haulers, Brewers and any other non-goods creating profession(including food and drink as I can't control consumption of that) will be considered "residents" of the fort, meaning that their rent is payed for automatically. They will also earn a slight income but it won't be much. They are relativly safe to play but they can't exactly buy extravagent.  Bonuses may be handed out if they accomplish something like fending of a fireimp with their bare hands or something equally awesome/usefull to the fort.

-Masons, smiths, mechanics, bowyers, and other goods producing proffession will earn their keep simply on trades with the fort (IE: Me) or other players. I will provide raw materials in exhange for gold. After the materials are bought players are free to do what they want with them. I'm working on a spreadsheet right now to get prices down so it remains slightly balanced quality and material wise. Hopefully I'll get some help with that. Strange Moods will be paid for by the fort.

-Mercenaries will start with basic iron armor and weapons as a mercenary without equipment would be rather odd. Like the crafters they will also pay for rent for their room and are free to spend their remaining income on new equipment or furniture. They will be paid seasonally by the fort (IE: Me) based on their contract. If their income seems like it's not enough I might include bonuses for notable kills/cool kills.

Here's a list of proffessions I'm currently leaving unplayable for complexity sake.
Hunters
Gem Crafters and Cutters
Fisherdwarves
Clothemaking
Siege Engineer and operator(Until needed)
And any other crafting proffesion that can't make usable goods.

« Last Edit: December 27, 2009, 09:57:21 pm by Smitehappy »
Interestingly, Armok's name actually originates from arm_ok, a variable in one of Toady's earlier games that kept track of how many of your arms weren't missing.

Omegastick

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy musician man
    • View Profile
Re: LancerHyme-Be Someone!
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2009, 05:40:23 am »

In, I'll be Omega a crossbowdwarf. In terms of the economy, maybe keep a text file or write a program (when I get VB working I could write one for you) where every player has these variables:
Name:(What their name is)
Money:(How much gold they have)
Proffesion:(What they do)
Goods:(What they can sell)
Room Contents:(What they own in their room)
Rent:(How much they oay for their room)
Income:(How much they get per season (for soldiers))

Every object they can buy woulf have tax payed on it:
Baracks +1g
3x3 room +10g
Bed +1g
Cabinet +3g
Chest +3g
5x5 room +20g
10x10 room +40g

The tax of each object would increase by an amount with each quality increase.
It may be a bit complicated but having a program would make it simple.
I make music under the name Flag Red, check me out:
Soundcloud
Youtube
Facebook

Haika

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2009, 11:15:38 am »

I wouldn't mind trying something like this, but it seems a little crafter central. Not sure how a source material person would work, like a miner or planter, or woodcutter. Nor how say an animal caretaker would make his living. Suppose I'd need to know all that before I sign up.

So consider this a holding spot for now.
The research assistant couldn't experiment with plants because he hadn't botany
Don't expect a bonsai tree to grow the miniature planting it.
Trust your calculator. It's something to count on.
Pencils could be made with erasers at both ends, but what would be the point?

TheHunger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2009, 02:35:51 pm »

This is a very ambitious project and I applaud you for attempting it.  Due to the complexity of the economy you are attempting to create, I'd recommend a much lower population cap to keep things more manageable.  One of the key issues in the system is to balance the wages of mercenaries, where a patrol could be worth a certain amount of DB, successfully eliminating dangerous wildlife would be worth a certain amount, and participating in the defense of the fortress against gobbos would pay a balanced amount of DB.

As for my character:
Name: Ups
Profession: Axedwarf
A brief background: Ups was bored with his life, and so decided that the best way to make a name for himself is to seek fame and fortune at one of the border fortresses. 

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2009, 07:19:23 pm »

Name: Haspen
Profession: Engraver!
Background: A self-thaught Engraver. He is a bit nuts when it comes to engraving history, and he have a special interest in carving images about various gory events, be it elephant impaling dwarf on tusk or group of vicious carp shredding other in a river. His life ambition is to make an artifact engraving, certainly about famous dwarven hero, Tholtig Cryptbrain the Waning Diamonds - the only entity in the world he worships.

And now let's read the rules...
« Last Edit: December 27, 2009, 07:26:24 pm by Haspen »
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

Smitehappy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2009, 09:55:28 pm »

While I do appreciate the immediate interest I made this thread so I could get some help with the basic structure of the rules first. Please refrain from posting characters untill it's all worked out else I'm gonna get overwhelmed XD.

Well here's what I got so far for basic economy structure.

-Miners,Guards, Engravers, Growers, Haulers, Brewers and any other non-goods creating profession(including food and drink as I can't control consumption of that) will be considered "residents" of the fort, meaning that their rent is payed for automatically. They will also earn a slight income but it won't be much. They are relativly safe to play but they can't exactly buy extravagent.  Bonuses may be handed out if they accomplish something like fending of a fireimp with their bare hands or something equally awesome/usefull to the fort.

-Masons, smiths, mechanics, bowyers, and other goods producing proffession will earn their keep simply on trades with the fort (IE: Me) or other players. I will provide raw materials in exhange for gold. After the materials are bought players are free to do what they want with them. I'm working on a spreadsheet right now to get prices down so it remains slightly balanced quality and material wise. Hopefully I'll get some help with that. Strange Moods will be paid for by the fort.

-Mercenaries will start with basic iron armor and weapons as a mercenary without equipment would be rather odd. Like the crafters they will also pay for rent for their room and are free to spend their remaining income on new equipment or furniture. They will be paid seasonally by the fort (IE: Me) based on their contract. If their income seems like it's not enough I might include bonuses for notable kills/cool kills.

Here's a list of proffessions I'm currently leaving unplayable for complexity sake.
Hunters
Gem Crafters and Cutters
Fisherdwarves
Clothemaking
Siege Engineer and operator(Until needed)
And any other crafting proffesion that can't make usable goods.

Please, Please, please, please point out any problems you see with this system. The more help I get the more fun this will be in the end.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2009, 10:00:13 pm by Smitehappy »
Interestingly, Armok's name actually originates from arm_ok, a variable in one of Toady's earlier games that kept track of how many of your arms weren't missing.

Haika

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2009, 01:29:37 am »

Looks good so far, though I'm a little curious as to why clothiers are on the unplayable list, as even if your not going to make much clothing they can make silk and plant fiber crafts to sell.

Also curious if bonecrafters, glassmakers, and cooks will be viable player classes? The materials for those three may be more difficult to obtain, possibly even impossible with the glassmaker depending on your location.
The research assistant couldn't experiment with plants because he hadn't botany
Don't expect a bonsai tree to grow the miniature planting it.
Trust your calculator. It's something to count on.
Pencils could be made with erasers at both ends, but what would be the point?

Smitehappy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2009, 03:05:48 am »

Looks good so far, though I'm a little curious as to why clothiers are on the unplayable list, as even if your not going to make much clothing they can make silk and plant fiber crafts to sell.

Also curious if bonecrafters, glassmakers, and cooks will be viable player classes? The materials for those three may be more difficult to obtain, possibly even impossible with the glassmaker depending on your location.

Well it's more of the lack of ability to assign clothes, jewelry, food, etc. I can't control ownership on those objects so it doesn't matter if your dwarf bought really fancy dyed clothings since I can't make him wear those instead of his current rags.

TheHunger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2009, 10:19:20 am »

When a mercenary kills a goblin, does that goblin's equipment belong to the fortress or the mercenary?  You could have an interesting take on this scenario by giving mercenaries low wages but allowing them to sell the goblinite and clothing to other players. Of course, this would only make the economy more complicated, so it's understandable if you don't want to go in that direction.

Also, how will furnace operators work? Are they residents, where the fortress will seize all bars they create, or do they buy ore from the fort and sell bars to the smiths?

And my final question/comment (for now), if strange moods will be financed by the fortress, the artifacts they create will be seized by the fortress, correct?