Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: CWAL Succession Game  (Read 17815 times)

diefortheswarm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: CWAL Succession Game
« Reply #30 on: March 13, 2009, 01:43:26 pm »

They must have them because they never get cavities....

The V Man

• Bay Watcher
  • I AM MINTY FRESH, ARE YOU MY SEVEN?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 13, 2009, 01:47:00 pm »

Technically in DF they don't even have teeth!

I guess that explains the lack of cavities.

Now if they still had toothbrushes....

-V

LegacyCWAL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 13, 2009, 03:29:43 pm »

I think halfway drowning themselves in alcohol twice as often as they eat would do a good job of getting rid of plaque.
HIDE THE WOMEN AND DROWN THE CHILDREN, THE BARON HAS ARRIVED.

diefortheswarm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 25, 2009, 06:33:02 pm »

14th of Granite

Do to a bureaucratic error on the part of ilurker, I am just now taking over control of the fort.  This is a rather larger caravan as far as elves go.  7 traders on camelback.  They better not be bringing 7 camel loads of rope reed cloth.

19th of Granite.

Just concluded trading with the elves.  They brought lots of useful stuff as well as some animals including this thing.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Now time to get to work.  I had one look at the job settings the dwarves had been given and went into a rage!  It is obvious nobody was using Dwarf Manager the last 3 years.  But even with it you could do a better job then this.  Hauling jobs are distributed at random and many Dwarfs have been left idle.

Now lets look at activity zones.  WTF!!!  There are at least 20 or 30 single tile dumping zones.  Endless labor has been wasted stacking stone at these zones.

Now lets look at what facilities have been provided.  OK who is the jackass that build an underground meeting area instead of using the one with a sunroof I built.  I hope I found out about this before any Dwarves came down with cave adaptation.

6th of Slate

I finished my first project.  A walled off roadway to the edge of the map.  Don't worry I did not wall off the fort from the outside.  I  just mad sure the caravans use this route.

Now I am fixing up the fortress layout the way I originally intended.

10th of slate

We got some immigrants.  We now have a population of 64.  The new people will be put right to work!

14th of Hematite

The humans have arrived.  Now I get to try out the new protected roadway.

There was a slaughter at the gates, but the caravan made it to the Trade Depot.  Half our military was not so lucky though.  I hope we have enough coffins.

18th of Hematite

Just finished trading.  Purchased everything useful and gave them 100% profit and a big offering.  Now I am going to meet with the liaison.

18th of Malachite

My miners and masons finally finished the original fort layout.  Now I am going to get some permanent magma workshops going.

17th of Limestone

The Dwarf Caravan arrived.  All is quiet so far...

Looks like I spoke too soon...

We lost 2 wrestles and some civilians but we repelled the invasion.

1st of Timber

We lost a mason to the local wildlife.

I sent in the military.

An elite marksdwarf fell in the chasm.

10th of Timber

My other elite marksdwarf has just been stricken with melancholy.

1st of Moonstone

I just finished pumping magma under our new Magma buildings.

As you can see the melancholy marksdwarf and his injured horse decided to get a closer look.  This gave me the chance to solve multiple problems at once.

The pumps were really starting to drain the top of the magma pipe.

2nd of Opal

The Goblins are back and some Dwarves are outside!

Luckily I got most of them back inside but there were casualties.

Then I decided to send out what is left of the military.

They all fought valiantly before being killed.  The military now consists of 2 injured Dwarves getting bed rest.

The traps then took care of the remaining Goblins.

Make that 1 injured military Dwarf.

The Rhesus Macaques are already after the Goblin crap.

27th of Opal

We got an artifact anvil.  Do bad it was from a possession so we don't have a legendary blacksmith.

18th of Obsidian

I just finished a block of 50 7/7 rooms for nobles.  Future leaders are going to need to furnish and decorate them though.

Ok that concludes my turn.  I have some notes for the next guy.

1.  I completed rooms using constructed walls.  You can make them mesh with the natural walls by smoothing the natural wall.  You can do this with far less labor if you smooth only the walls and not the floors.  That will require a lot of designating though.

2.  I started a grand dining hall.  It is up to you to finish it.  It will need a HELL of a lot of work.  My blacksmiths are making sliver furniture for it right now.  I do not want to waste the really valuable stuff till we have a legendary blacksmith.

3.  There are now staircases to the surface.  They are all protected with obsidian hatches.  When the Goblins finally siege I do not think Trolls will be able to break them.  They are all set to open right now.  You will have to close them during ambushes.  You may even want to hook them all up to a lever.

4.  All caravans will now spawn at the beginning of the protected roadway since it is the only wagon accessible route.  You will want to station soldiers at the edge of the map there to make sure they get to the Trade Depot unharmed.

5.  Rebuild the military.  There is a lot of steel Dwarf armor lieing around the fort.

6.  Do NOT melt the Dwarf armor along with the Goblin stuff.  So be careful if you mass designate melting.

7.  The rooms right by the sand with magma underneath them are for the magma glass furnaces.

8.  USE DWARF MANAGER OR I WILL KILL YOU!!!!!!!!!!

The Save

LegacyCWAL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 31, 2009, 01:52:38 pm »

== 1st Granite, 206 ==

== 2nd Granite, 206 ==

== 8th Granite, 206 ==

At this point, I've temporarily stopped using Dwarf Manager because I have to micromanage jobs too closely at the moment for it to do any good.  Don't worry, I'll start using it again once things get sorted out a bit.

== 12th Granite, 206 ==

== 26th Granite, 206 ==

== 6th Slate, 206 ==

== 9th Slate, 206 ==

== 25th Slate, 206 ==

== 7th Felsite, 206 ==

== 15th Hematite, 206 ==

== 10th Limestone ==

== 9th Moonstone, 206 ==

== 16th Moonstone, 206 ==

== 26th Opal, 206 ==

== 1st Granite, 207 ==

I'll upload the save and post the link on the RR

The V Man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 31, 2009, 02:16:31 pm »

Awesome on a stick.
Nuts to a lack of time, I wanna have a hack at this again.

Well done.
-V

P.S. Err, actually that would be the third V Man - the death of the second was quickly and quietly covered up, and his corpse dumped from the coffin. Had I been thinking I would have just started a body collection in there. Oh well ;)

diefortheswarm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 31, 2009, 04:39:05 pm »

Great Turn!  This Succession game is really helping me to deal with your shortcomings.

One question though:  We have an ungodly amount of stone.  Why don't you let the fort have a large number of stonecrafters.  They can go from untrained to legendary in a few years.

About my deblocking reactions:  I put them in to make it possible to import a greater quantity of a given ore.  When Toady improves trading in the next release, this will no longer be necessary.

LegacyCWAL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 31, 2009, 06:17:05 pm »

I took dwarves off stonecrafting because we needed them for other important stuff.  You know, things like not getting killed by goblins.

There's also things other than stonecrafting that you can do with stone.  I queued up a few stone block work orders to make blocks for building things, for instance.  You can also make furniture, mechanisms, constructions, etc. out of stone.

On top of that, we have twenty fucking thousand stone.  A dozen legendary stonecrafters would take years to put a dent in that.

As for deblocking reactions, I know why you put them in.  I just don't like them, is all.

The V Man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 06, 2009, 11:38:22 am »

Still working my way through my turn. The fort has been stuck by great tragedy though - I don't know if the dwarves can soldier on through the sadness they must feel in their drunken, hairy little hearts.

-V

The V Man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 17, 2009, 08:53:25 am »

Wow, what a crazy few weeks. Sorry for the delay. Here's the update:

12th Granite
- After orienting myself with the changes to the fort that have occurred over the last few years, I get started on the first of many of my Horrible Grand Projects: A jail.

17th Granite
- Elves have arrived again.

18th Granite
- A snatcher jumped out, at the Elves as they arrived. His intelligence is unrivaled amongst goblin-kind. After briefly breaking the Elves pathing, they marched into the fort.

22nd Granite
- A snatcher, followed quickly by an ambush!

23rd Granite
- After the ambush mostly dealt with itself on our traps, another followed almost immediately.
- A pitched battle at the gates!
- Two war dogs die in traps, and brave Iteb, Soldier, bleeds to death after a goblin - Zas now leads 'The Helmed Pines'. Right after the battle Dumed (Doomed?) slips into a martial trace. The remaining goblins decide it would be fun to give him a try.
- ....and just as he traces, he de-trances. USEFUL.
- The aftermath:

2nd Slate
- Pissed the Elves off trading. Oh well, just useless junk anyway.

9th Slate
- A metal smith has gone all moody.
- ...and claimed a magma forge. Exciting business. I'd better not end up with a hatch or something stupid.

14th Slate
- Tragedy has struck the fort. A tamed Stray Marmot has died of old age. In his honor I'll call him Bill. Funeral services for Bill will be held in the statue garden followed by a procession to the crypts. He will live forever in our hearts.

- In other news: MIGRANTS. Looks like 20 of the mooching buggers.

1st Felsite
- Our sole spear using dwarf has survived long enough to become a Spearmaster. Many goblin spleens will be poked from henceforth.

15th Felsite
- In an attempt to NOT get any more dead, I've installed a screw pump in the coffin storage room. It's location will serve as inspiration for dwarves to be TOUGH or GET IN THE BOX.

18th Felsite
- The mandate barring the sale or Sterling Silver items has been lifted. Since we had none to begin with, I suppose it only makes sense.

24th Felsite
- Minkot, a metalsmith finally went insane. He attacked his pet dog...and was promptly torn to pieces after smacking it on the nose.

25th Felsite
- A grand day - Urdim has become a swordmaster. Many limbs will be hacked off this day. Preferably not Dwarves limbs, but who am I to order a swordmaster around.

26th Felsite
- It seems I have an incredibly short attention span and refuse to man the pump for more than a few minutes in a week. I'll have to reprimand myself.

1st Hematite
- Oh good. The mayor has mandated the construction of two Sterling Silver items. I'm certian this will end well.

3rd Hematite
- Success! We've met the Mayor's mandate (easily, which surprised me). His meddling is, however, become an annoyance. I may have to do something about it.

16ht Hematite
Oh shazbot. I've put all sqauds on standing alert - hopefully it'll be enough to repel the invasion

17th Hematite
- During the early part of the siege, 'Lurker is elected mayor. Congrats! I guess the Dwarves aren't worries about the siege at all.

19th Hematite
- A brave wardog was killed standing his post in the entry way.
- And looks like our traps have proven effective again. The lone remaining goblin flees for his life.

26th Hematite
- In preparation for future sieges, I've ordered two siege workshops built.
- Consturuction of my latest secret project is complete - N.E.D or the Noble Execution Device. MANDATE THIS. Bwahahahaaa AAAAahahahahahahahah!

10th Malachite
- Another pair of swordmasters - huzzah.
- A Bone Carver has gone all secretive on us. Let's hope for something that isn't completely worthless.

13th Malachite
- No migrants this season. Guess the siege was too much for them. I can see how losing one dwarf and a dog would be scary though.

22nd Malachite
- After pissing around for 12 days, the Carver finally got his ass in gear. Shells and a Forest eh?

25th Malachite
- I've built a ballista at the end of the entry way hall. Caution will be the mandate for the Ballista though - we'll need to ensure the friendly squads stay well out of the line of fire. I'll also build some training catapults nearby - which will also help with our excess stone problem. We may want to consider replacing the ballista with a catapult for safety sake.
- The carver finished his Turtle shell mask. He's legendary now. Oh joy.

6th Galena

16th Galena
- One of our squads was wiped out in a training accident when a wrestler had his throat collapsed. IT's unclear if this was a self-inflicted wound as he was the only remaining member of his squad and appeared to be alone in the barracks.

18th Galena
- Not much exciting news today so I switched my dwarf onto Siege Operating/Engineering to make him somewhat useful. Still considering swapping the entry hall ballista for a catapult to help reduce friendly 'accidents'. Both training catapults are up and running.

20th Galena
- Our first legendary champion (if I recall correctly). Good news for the fort.

24th Galena
- After finally getting his mayoral holdings, 'Lurker felt it wise to stop the export of all Millstones. If we had any, I'd agree with him.

4th Limestone
- I removed the forbidden status on all objects outside (and a few inside, curiously) and was forced to wait while my machine tried not to have a heart attack as all 25 idle dwarves took off in a race for the best junk. This should be entertaining.

9th Limestone
- The tunnel leading to the N.E.D has been smoothed and is being lined with statues. The last tunnel a dwarf should see aught to be a nice one after all.

12th Limestone
- The caravan arrived for trading. I got most of what Legacy asked for I think.

20th Limestone
- Another legendary champion.

24th Limestone
- It seems reasonable offers for goods managed to piss off the caravan on the second round of trading. How dare I offer to let them have a substantial profit!

3rd Sandstone
- Despite the rocky start, we've gotten the import and export agreements hammered out.

19th Sandstone
- Looks like some migrants decided to show up after all. Only 7 of them though.

23rd Timber
- Slow days in late Autumn, but another legendary champion has arisen.

13th Moonstone
- Well, it had to happen sooner or later - one of the champions has given birth. Lets hope she never tantrums.

20th Moonstone
- An ambush showed up on our doorstep. Besmar the Woodcutter fought valiantly, but was cut down. The guard dog was also killed before the last goblin was put down.

23rd Moonstone
- It seems I spoke too soon - a cook was killed when he stepped out by a Goblin wrestler - it seems not all the goblins decided to come in our front door.

25th Moonstone
- I've located the Goblins responsible and have dispatched the military to deal with them.
- one of the children was killed in the fight - I do hope there aren't any tantrums from this.

24th opal
- A metalsmith has been stricken fey

1st Obsidian
- ....and later created an earring. Oh wonderful.

1st Granite
- Well, that wraps my year. It's been eventful enough for the fort. Only a few structural additions as I think we've already gotten too much hollowed out for what we need. Best of luck to the next ruler - the fort is really starting to chug on the framerate.

And the save.

No map for now as for some odd reason the DF map compressor is crashing on the files. I'll have to tinker with it and see what I can come up with.

Jayj

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 17, 2009, 12:34:01 pm »

25 idlers?! Cripes. I get annoyed when there are 1-2 lazy stunties.

Hey, where's my turn in the progression? There are some things I can see to improve.

diefortheswarm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 17, 2009, 03:14:36 pm »

The new progression is as follows.

diefortheswarm
Legacy
The V Man
ilurker
Jayj
Grorx

ilurker

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 18, 2009, 07:36:57 pm »

As always, click the pictures for full resolution.

Not the MOST eventful turn, pretty steady stream of straggler goblins running at us to no effect, making me think there's a pretty large ambush party lurking about somewhere, but mostly it was constructy:

First thing's first: Annoying diefortheswarm.

After that, the plans for a new, awesome dining room came into swing:

This is the first level. Dwarves will dine on most of the floor, with a large section in the middle and smaller ones to the side cut out for viewing the level below. To the north and the south will be pits creatures may be dropped into, as well as a staircase down for dwarven gladiators/execution squads.

The gladiator level. This has changed somewhat, but the basic gist is the same. Dwarves and monsters will meet one another below the diners and fight amidst a hellish lava pit.

MOAR MAGMA MOAR MAGMA MOAR MAGMA

Getting onto more practical concerns while construction gets underway, I noticed we had a huge number of animals wandering around with no particular function. They are no longer wandering.

Additionally, even with a ton of hauling jobs to be done and a full screen of work orders, full 1/3rd of the population was idle, with rarely used dwarves like carpenters and stoneworkers milling about without function. I assigned jobs across the board, and things soon took a much faster clip.

Millstones? Really?

Soon I was greeted by the customary microcaravan.

It did, thankfully, alert me to the fact that our entrances were totally unattended and practically screaming for an ambush to saunter in. Perhaps the previous mayors were hoping the goblins would come cuddle them. In the kidneys. With an axe.

Typically, the elves had nothing but some wood and a few berries. Bloody hippies. Why aren't we at war with them yet?

Apparently confusing moldy timber for something of marginal value, a friendly kobold wandered over to take a look. He wandered out fairly quickly. Then he wandered into an axedwarf. Then he wandered into a ☼Kobold Bone Mug☼.

Annoyed yet again by the job cancellations which constantly howl in my ear, I check the stocks to find the previous mayor was evidently a local PETA representative.

Note to self: Possible elf. Check if leather bags are forbidden.

Accounting for my hatred of the current layout, I elected to build a grand, if functional, living quarters for the baroness off the dining room.

The hammerer was given a much smaller, if much more interesting, complex in apology for forbidding his hammer before he starts hitting people with it.

The first rumblings of The Silver Crisis, in which every noble in history demands silver and I find out the closest thing to a bar we have laying around is a bunch of tables.

Definitely an elf.

Well... they probably planned on putting silver in it or something.

Can you tell what the hell is going on in this? No. There's stone everywhere. This is why we can't have nice things.

I hate you so much.

On the bright side, the dining room complex is beginning to near completion, and you can see some of the revisions I've made.

The gladiator level again. Notice the island in the middle with retractable bridges, allowing for executions by marksdwarf where the goblins are free to dodge bolts or toss themselves into a fire rather than be eaten by whatever megafauna we care to put in there with them, all for the amusement of the diners upstairs.

Back to practical matters, in order to assist with the framerate issues, I've designated traffic corridors in order to reduce the number of dwarves pathing through rooms and bottlenecking in the doorways.

One of our metalsmiths was possessed and produced this. I haven't put it anywhere yet, so be sure to.

The dorf caravan carried little of use. I bought up all the metal and gems, as well as a few stacks of steel bolts. Didn't even manage to run through the crafts which were there when I showed up.

Yay! Another useless, suckling mouth to feed! To the pumps with you when you're 12 and not a day later!

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

It's about time I got one of these. Hadn't completed by the time my turn ended, though.

Filling in the reservour under the dining room emptied and magma tube enough to have access a few levels down, so I channeled through and made a passage for magma to fill into the magma system itself without the need for pumping when we expand it, which should greatly cut down on the chances we all die when magma floods the bedrooms.

And that's it for my turn! The dining room is structurally completed, with all the bridges linked and levers noted. All the next guy will need to do is smooth, engrave, and furnish, and we'll have an awesome dining room.

I'm already thinking up ways to include a waterfall in here.

ilurker

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 18, 2009, 07:56:36 pm »

And the save.

diefortheswarm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 18, 2009, 10:29:43 pm »

Nice turn.  Now all we need is a magma weapon to use on invaders.  We also have HFS which nobody has uncovered yet...

ps.  You realize your irrational hatred of excess stone is very unDwarven.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4