Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Programming issues  (Read 1411 times)

narakal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Programming issues
« on: March 02, 2009, 09:01:30 pm »

um... I have a question regarding programming. I am using visual studio 2008, and right now when I test my programs on other computers, there are errors when I try to run it. However, no such problems with Dec-C++. I think it has something to do with the .net framework, but I am not sure. Does anybody know why?

moetzger

• Bay Watcher
  • df noob
    • View Profile
Re: Programming issues
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2009, 06:20:21 am »

hi there. what are the exact errors?

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2009, 10:08:13 am »

VS2008 has a selection drop-down both when you create the project and afterwards in the top toolbar, that lets you select the .NET platform that you aim for. It aims for the highest installed by default (since you did install VS2k8, you have at least 3.5), but you can lower it to 1.1 for maximum compatibility.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2009, 12:57:22 pm »

The IDE may also have a 'create installation package' thingy near the build menu.  While it's a horrible tool, the contents of the package it creates might help you learn what DLLs it thinks it needs to include...or at least, running the installer on a target machine might give you more info (did it work?  did it say they need to install something?)

But be warned, it really IS a horrible tool.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

narakal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2009, 03:20:26 pm »

Thank you so much, I finally got a program that I compiled on a computer to work on another. I had not set the compile framework properly to .net 2.0..... so thank you again!