Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: help with making a forum game  (Read 2946 times)

father_alexander

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
help with making a forum game
« on: March 02, 2009, 07:05:47 pm »

well the thing is the following, i am part of a clan, in this clan i take care of many of the non game related fun stuff, for example comics and stuff

anyways i am planing to make a forum game there, the problem is im aiming really high with this, i want to make a complex system with a good story , etc, no i would like to know if anyone knows of any good tool to make something like this, like a roleplaying game maker or something like that, in wich the diferent characters can interact or something like that

any ideas/suggestions?

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: help with making a forum game
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2009, 07:44:40 pm »

Shift key.  :D
I don't mean to be mean, but you've got to remember that forum games are meant to be read, so ease of reading is very important. Other than that, some more information would be nice.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

father_alexander

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2009, 08:34:03 pm »

Shift key.  :D
I don't mean to be mean, but you've got to remember that forum games are meant to be read, so ease of reading is very important. Other than that, some more information would be nice.

hehe i always forget about things like that wen it comes to the computer and not handwriting

Anyways the basic idea is a deep rpg, i pretend to do a realist system, for nearly all, fighting, damage, inventory, status, etc.

Now while the organization and planning of all the non player sections is easy for me to do on a forum, the forum lacks speed, its really hard to make a game really deep in a forum, mainly because i plan to add for example, spies, and i want everyone to see what their characters see and not much more than that, so the organization and time this would require to make in a forum is really massive, and the speed the game would take would be REALLY slow.

What im looking for is for some sort of tool (if possible an online one like a site) that can help me handle this, im not really expecting results but its worth the try at least :P

Squeegy

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't really have any answers for you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2009, 09:01:13 pm »

Hehe, I always forget about things like that when it comes to the computer, and not handwriting.

Anyways, the basic idea is a deep RPG(although it was technically correct), I plan to do a realistic system, for nearly all things, for example; fighting, damage, inventory, status, etc.

Now, while the organization and planning of all the non player sections, it is easy for me to do on a forum, because the forum lacks speed, and it's really hard to make a game really deep in a forum. I plan to add for example, spies, and i want everyone to see what their characters see and not much more than that, so the organization and time this would require to make in a forum is really massive, and the speed of the game would be REALLY slow.

What I'm looking for is for some sort of tool (if possible an, online one like a site), that can help me handle this. I'm not really expecting results, but it's worth a try at least. :P
There we go. That's what top-notch grammar looks like. If you're going to run a game, you'll need to make it like that. I understand how much easier it is to do it simpler, and that's acceptable, but ease of communications is everything for a GM.
I think I'm an alright guy. I just wanna live until I gotta die. I know I'm not perfect, but God knows I try.
Kobold Name Generator
⚔Dueling Blades⚔
Fertile Lands
The Emerald Isles

father_alexander

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2009, 09:23:23 pm »

Hehe, I always forget about things like that when it comes to the computer, and not handwriting.

Anyways, the basic idea is a deep RPG(although it was technically correct), I plan to do a realistic system, for nearly all things, for example; fighting, damage, inventory, status, etc.

Now, while the organization and planning of all the non player sections, it is easy for me to do on a forum, because the forum lacks speed, and it's really hard to make a game really deep in a forum. I plan to add for example, spies, and i want everyone to see what their characters see and not much more than that, so the organization and time this would require to make in a forum is really massive, and the speed of the game would be REALLY slow.

What I'm looking for is for some sort of tool (if possible an, online one like a site), that can help me handle this. I'm not really expecting results, but it's worth a try at least. :P
There we go. That's what top-notch grammar looks like. If you're going to run a game, you'll need to make it like that. I understand how much easier it is to do it simpler, and that's acceptable, but ease of communications is everything for a GM.

i understand most of the corrections but i refuse to use shift for every time i say "i" , not to mention that the there is no need for mayus after the "," ... or at least thats how it is on my language...

That said i dont pretend to write most of the text, thats where a friend of mine comes in, he will do most of the writing as i suck at it

plus have no grammar, its only toady trying to make it easier to understand, i talk like a dwarf! :P
« Last Edit: March 02, 2009, 09:26:15 pm by father_alexander »

inaluct

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2009, 09:26:24 pm »

i understand most of the corrections but i refuse to use shift for every time i say "i" , not to mention that the there is no need for mayus after the "," ... or at least thats how it is on my language...

That said i dont pretend to write most of the text, thats where a friend of mine comes in, he will do most of the writing as i suck at it
I HAVE ENOUGH SHIFT KEY FOR BOTH OF US.

ANYWAY, I RECOMMEND THAT YOU TRY SOMETHING WITH VERY SIMPLE MECHANICS, LIKE A HIGHLY ELABORATED MAFIA GAME. THAT WAY, YOU CAN HAVE A HIGH LEVEL OF STRATEGY WITHOUT AN INSANE AMOUNT OF WORK.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2009, 11:05:35 pm »

This thread appears perfectly normal now, thanks to inaluct.

Also, best start with something simple. Very few people have started something complex that has continued for a long time. Hell, RTD's are as simple as you can get. Just start something with basic mechanics and try to add a story to it, as well as a goal that can be achieved in a reasonable timescale. Then once it has finished, use lessons learned to make a better forum game.

I would love to see somebody remake the evolution game in a simpler way.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2009, 12:05:50 am »

Tell us more about this game you want to make, is it gonna be dice based or something like that? Details help a whole lot.

Welcome to the forums by the way Father_Alexander, newcomers are very appreciated.

father_alexander

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2009, 04:42:22 am »

Tell us more about this game you want to make, is it gonna be dice based or something like that? Details help a whole lot.

Welcome to the forums by the way Father_Alexander, newcomers are very appreciated.

Im not that new, i have been around for a month right now....... :P

Uhhm well most of the actions would be taken in count with some sort of dice system, though always applied to logic, what i mean is that its not purely luck, because no matter the luck if a uber guy with a mega gun and super gun training fights someone who just got a gun for the first time of his life, it is more likely that the uber guy will win

The main part of the idea i had was exactly the story, what i wanted to make is some game in which people are in one side, but they would believe that their side is the good one and be totally convinced that the enemy is actually a "bad" guy.

Anyways the whole point is that i plan to take it far, i dont mind the work and preparation, plus im going to make some drawings for the game but... what i do mind is the interface, i mean i have played and still play RPs on forums, and its hard for it to work the right way, and i dont even get me started if the game is as complex as i pretend to do it.

Im not asking for a solution, i was simply asking if someone would know about some tool that i could use either for making the game, or as an interface.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2009, 04:59:35 am »

Okenido linked me some cool rules when I made a very similar topic concerning the forum game I was making.

Brikwar's ruleset? http://www.brikwars.com/

You could always tweak a bit with the rules.

If you wanna take a look at the one I'm running, which is still in it's infancy I think, you can take a look at it right here. The players are currently fighting a psychopath on a very small boat.

Yanlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary comedian.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2009, 02:24:18 pm »

I can't stress this enough. Good grammar is VITAL for a good forum game.
WE NEED A SLOGAN!

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2009, 02:43:52 pm »

Agreed.  Heck, when working on my LP, I tended to revise my posts a few times for clarity--if my LP was hard to read, who would bother to read it at all?
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2009, 02:01:40 am »

Forget specific mechanics.
Just make it up as you progress, and use perfect grammar.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2009, 12:22:00 pm »

And above all else, keep it simple and un-time-consuming enough for YOU that you can keep it going instead of burning out...The most awesome game ever that only lasts three rounds is no fun at all!
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

father_alexander

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2009, 07:46:53 pm »

Jesus people really love to complain about grammar :P

Anyways, i know how to make simpler games, its not that hard what im asking is wen you just NEED  to do a more complex game what do you use?, it actually surprises me though, i was expecting that in the gigantic internetz there would be at least one tool similar to for example... rpg maker or something like that, but being multiplayers...

Meh never mind, thanks a lot for the help anyways