Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How to make a Tabletop RPG Game  (Read 10130 times)

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
How to make a Tabletop RPG Game
« on: April 18, 2009, 07:57:37 pm »

Looking at rpg.net and that latest Tabletop RPG game thread got me thinking about tabletop rpgs, and how to make one. Lulu.com allow for self-publishing, allowing for any new tabletop RPG writer to get into the market to write junk, so I wonder if...hm...anyway, let see here what I got already...

1) Mechanics. I hope I don't get in trouble, but RTD is pretty simple...so...I would like to use Sean's expaned rules for RTD, modified...

The action results are defined by a six-sided die roll:
[1]: Epic Fail. Whatever you tried to achieve, you didn't, and you made it worse. You gain a negative Status effect.
[2]: Fail. You didn't, or couldn't do what you tried to.
[3]: Meager success: You didn't fail, but you didn't succeed either. Like trying to sit on two chairs but ending up on one.
[4]: Success: You succeeded in your plight. All consequences are now your problem.
[5]: Epic Success: You succeed in the most positive way possible. The universe will bend to your will.
[6]: Overshot: Not only did you succeed in the most positive way possible...but you learnt from it, so you could do it again! You gain a positive Status effect that will apply to future dice roll!

In addition, if at any time something threatens you, you get a free roll to dodge it. If you end up in a very bad situation as a result of the first dodge roll, you may or may not get another free roll to narrowly escape death.

*Swarm rules: Each successive dodge roll during a turn, unless it is a dodge against the same object or character, will get a -1 bonus.

Status changes:
Quote from: Example Status Changes
*Dizzy: You cannot perform physical movement accurately, -1 physical actions. May cause vomiting.
*Dazed: You cannot focus on your surroundings, -1 physical actions and dodge, -1 mental actions.
*Stunned: You cannot make your body obey your orders, -2 physical actions and dodge.
*Confused: You cannot get your thoughts into order, -1 mental actions.
*Unconscious: You cannot move your body or react to surroundings, -2 to physical actions, no dodge, failguard.
*Asleep: You cannot move your body and cannot discern reality from dreams. -2 to physical and mental actions, no dodge, failguard.
*Trance: You are in an altered consciousness state and have trouble reacting to surroundings, -1 physical actions and dodge, no failguard. Deep trance gives -2 penalty.

Some status effects may grant "failguard". For the duration of these effects, the final total of any action roll will never be below 2.
If you are Stunned, Dazed, Dizzy, Confused, or otherwise receive a temporary penalty to overall or individual rolls, this penalty lasts until your next action is resolved, and not through the whole turn.
Sleep, Trance, and Unconsciousness are inflicted at a default severity that degrades with each attempt to overcome it.
If you receive a long-term effect that has the potential to alter itself, you get an Effect Resistance roll immediately after your action is resolved to determine the spread and consequences of the effect.

If you receive a mortal wound but are not killed outright, you need to pass a roll to avoid death at the end of every turn.

Combo rules:
You can spend your turn to help another player achieve his goal. If your roll is higher, it is taken as the success roll for the action.
You can also spend your turn to botch another player's action. If your roll is higher, its opposite is taken as the success roll for the action.
In both cases, individual player rolls determine what happens to the players in the course of the action.

Action rules:
Some actions may be considered "free", depending on the circumstance, and not require a roll.
As such, these actions can be paired with normal actions without penalty.

NPC rules:
When interacting with NPC's, a player can affect the action choice of the NPC via persuasion or hypnosis. In any case except direct physical control, the action of the NPC will be carried out in the NPC phase.
In extreme cases, regular players can be treated as NPC's. In these cases, the action will be carried out by the player in his own turn, and the effect that changes his action will be considered a positive Combo.

Quote from: AI
Any character that is not controlled by a player, be it because he is on AI, or insane, or mind-controlled by an NPC, or just about any other reason, will have a roll determine the general aim of his action for the turn. NPCs usually have an aim in mind, but insane NPCs follow this mechanic as well. The roll effects are relative to the players, specifically:
[1]: The character will do something VERY detrimental to the players. From going on a muderous rampage to destroying something the players need.
[2]: The character will do something detrimental to the players, and beneficial to him. Attempting to steal someone's item, killing a friendly NPC, pulling a lever that opens the exit and closes the treasure room with all the players, they all go here.
[3]: The character will do something for himself, without specifically aiming to do anything to anyone. Excercising, gaining skills, picking up equipment, just killing a horde of elves because they happen to be there, all fit here.
[4]: The character will do something that benefits him and the players both, usually helping in an action or just doing something the rest of the team is doing.
[5]: The character will do something beneficial to the players most. Finding a hidden button to stop some deathtrap, endangering himself to heal someone, etc.
[6]: The character will do something good for the team, but will be very excessive in his approach to the problem. Shooting a closed door with a rocket launcher to open it or summoning a nuke to destroy a nearby band of brigands will go here.

Enemies in this state will be less inclined to help the players even on high rolls.

However, RTD is usually used for less serious works, and, well, this game could be a tad serious.

2) Setting: This setting is based on a previous alignment system I made for a fanasty story...This is just a short summary, of course.
---A great mighty Alien race, the Creators, wanted some a new labor source, geared towards providing "services".
---The Creators decided to outsource this job out to a low-level newbie Creator. The Creator's goal is to create a prototype that can later be demonstrated at the next Creators' Expo.
---Low-level newbie Creator found Earth and seeded it with the Human Race, Adam and Eve. Creator places himself on the throne to observe the Human Race, placing himself as a God figure and demanding "sacrifices" (purely to test their suitablity as a labor source).
---Cain and Abel, the two sons of Adam, provided two sacrifices to the Creator. The Creator has declared the sacrifices of Abel better than the sacrifices of Cain.
---Abel boasts that since the Creator has accepted his sacrifice, Abel is therefore "holy", and thus better than Cain. Cain and Abel gets in a fight. Cain, in order to defend his honor, killed Abel and fled the scene. No one has ever seen Cain again.
---Supporters and friends of Abel was upset at this great murder of Abel. They swear revenge at this terrible crime. These supporters assembled into the "Abel's Legion", and sought vengence against Cain and his supporters. The Abelian Reign of Terror begins.
----Abel's Legion claimed that Abel, because he provided a sacrifice the Creator liked, and thus pleased a being who is far superior to humanity, in fact is "holy", and thus above criticism. Pointing out this fact is not at all 'arrogance', and Cain deserved punishment for attacking Abel.
---Supporters and friends of Cain became upset at the formation of the Abel's Legion. They believe that Cain was right to have defended his honor, and that Abel was too arrogant and thus deserving of his fate. These supporters assembled into "Cain's Alliance", which seeks to protect the supporters of Cain against the Abel's Legion's Reign of Terror, and eventually destroy Abel's Legion once and for all.
----Cain's Alliance argued that Cain's "honor" was hurt when Abel boasted about his achievments. By insulting Cain, Abel implied that it would be impossible for Cain to one day be able to beat Abel. This insult is damaging to a person's psyche, and it is right for Cain to resist this insult by killing Abel and proving that Cain may be superior to Abel.
---Both Abel's Legion and Cain's Alliance do swear loyalty to the Creator, at least nominally. But, both sides desire the intervention of the Creator, and sought to court him. The Creator remained netrual, refusing to condemn either Abel and Cain for fear of fanning the flames of violence and destroying his creation.
---Low-level newbie Creator attempted to stop the violence between Abel's Legion and Cain's Alliance, by forming a treaty between the two sides. Being a newbie, the Creator failed miserably. The low-level newbie Creator began consulting his superiors.
---His superiors isolated the gene in the humanity template that caused aggression, and removed it, creating more docile slaves. A new prototype of humans is in development, while the low-level newbie Creator was transferred into a seperate department. Man has lost their God.
---The war between Abel's Legion and Cain's Alliance interrupted the Creator's main goal of forming civilization. Instead, society is organized in a fedualistic tribal stage, which each tribe being part of one of the two factions.
---Tribes: Real power is in the hands of the Tribal Leaders, which use the feud between Abel and Cain for their own purposes, usually sponsoring one Faction in return for receiving military support from that Faction. The Tribal Leaders delegate power to the Elders, who each run a small portion of the Tribe, and seek to expand the Tribe's power and influence. Meanwhile, the Factions themselves recruit amongst the Tribes, filling their bloated bureacracy with loyal supporters who would be able to monitor the Tribes and continue the war against the hated Other Side.
---Diplomats: Each Faction assigns one "Diplomat" to each of the Tribes of Mankind, who watches over the affairs of the Tribe in order to ensure that they are serving the main Faction correctly, and do not waste time fighting with other Tribes belonging to the same Faction. The Diplomat delegate power to his Staff, who act as the eyes and ears of the diplomat. Often times, the Diplomats and the Tribal Leaders get into conflicts, leading to the possiblity of the Faction's Military fighting off against the Tribes.
---The Creators has decided it is best to "cover up" this mess, as well as possibly reuse this planet for other experiments, and sent in a squad of genetically-enginered Warriors to massacre both Abel's Legion and Cain's Alliance. The Warriors are indiscrimnate in their slaughters, but the forces of Cain and Abel refuse to work with each other, seeing the other side as responsible for bringing the wrath of the Creators upon them, and for causing the violence. Both factions hope that Cain/Abel will one day come to save mankind, and destroy the other side.

3) Goal: Um...er...that I haven't thought of yet.

4) Magic System will basically be like this.

4) Sample Missions: I haven't thought of that either.

What do you think? What else do I need? If anything?
« Last Edit: April 18, 2009, 08:21:28 pm by Servant Corps »
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

inaluct

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How to make a Tabletop RPG Game
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2009, 08:31:09 pm »

1) It's 'fantasy,' not 'fanasty.'
2) Your alignment system is meaningless. It degrades good and evil down to basic labels that are different in name only.
3) Your setting is contrived and unimaginative. Aliens create humanity? Why all this Biblical crap?

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2009, 08:48:56 pm »

Yeah, it is contrived and unimaginative. Meh. Guess I'll need to rethink.

The Aliens creating humanity and all the Biblical stuff is just there as inspiration, and to provide a reason why Good and Evil are fighting. The Aliens creating humanity is in fact inspired from another fantasy world in the past that I read...

As for the alignment system being meaningless, I actually see that as a benieft though.
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

inaluct

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2009, 09:03:54 pm »

As for the alignment system being meaningless, I actually see that as a benieft though.

Yeah, but why call the sides good and evil, then? Why not something with at least a shred of meaning or originality?

How about a game taking place on a two-mooned world inhabited by primitive humans who fight over which moon has the right to be the Eternal King of the Sky?

viskaslietuvai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2009, 09:47:06 pm »

Wow inaluct has some harsh words.

For my critique, amateur as it is, cons go before pros.

Cons:
I've never been too big a fan of the simple d6 mechanic, but then again, I like complex systems, 'cause I'm one of those weird people who like probability and statistics. So I'm sure it's something you prefer which is fine.

Character Creation?

In your quoted combo rolls, to botch someone, it should take your roll if it is lower otherwise there's no reason to ever attempt a botch. As it stands, if your roll is higher it uses the original roll. If your roll is lower it uses the original roll.

I'm not sure I understand where the "crazy guy reaction" table fits into your game design. Is it just an example mechanic?

I gotta say you're alignment system is different, which is laudable, but it also renders itself a moot point. Alignment is an issue because it complicates things, it presents a challenge. Your system makes it flow with the river of the game rather than being rocks which create an interesting cascade. Sorry for the hippie metaphor.
This is a bit pompous but you could check out this thread I started a few days ago. Armok gave a wicked good reply. http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=34124.0 The different powers are sort of designed to be unbalancing. If one gets strong there's something else to cause a problem.

In your storyline, I'm unsure of whether Adam and Eve are supposed to be the seeds for the human race, or if they are in addition to a whole bunch of other people. If the former, then where did the followers of the sons come from? If the latter, then why would everybody pick a side? Wouldn't some people say, "Screw that noise, I'm gonna eat a pineapple." Also, wouldn't some simply be unaware of Cain or Abel's existence? Folks on other continents for example.
I can't remember the author at present, but there was an article about world design in RPGs and how vast empires just aren't realistic for non-modern societies. They generally didn't have the means of maintaining both communication and control. If you look at medieval or ancient societies generally they didn't have great influence and many of the large empires, Persia and Rome leap to mind were fairly loosely affiliated. Much of the real power was concentrated in the hands of governors and as long as the taxes flowed the emperors didn't bring down the hammer. Usually all they did was collect money and draft soldiers. Remember, the Persians allowed all religions and the Romans only outlawed two, Christianity and Druids. And Druids practiced human sacrifice so...

Pros:
The setting, despite it's mild simplicity, is a bit different in a good way. I get an almost prehistoric vibe from it. Maybe more like Sumeria. The factions if given too much influence, could become the setting for a tabletop "capture the flag" game. You don't want the game to become a "We have to get them bad guys!" kind of situation for each outing. It's in these autonomous tribes with loose allegiance that there's real hope for an interesting premise. Killing and adventuring for no good reason is fun but gets old. It's when that drama is because your home village has changed allegiances or a famine is causing a major rift in one of the factions when things get interesting.

It sounds like you feel this game system has a specific end in mind. I think that if that gets fleshed out a bit, if only in your own mind and not in the players, that could go a long way towards making this project more cohesive and detailed.

The magic system is very different and will force players to think about magic differently. I think it has a lot of promise and works for a tabletop better than a CRPG. On the other hand, chief magic using characters won't like how they've suddenly lost out on the action, so you'll have to figure out a way to either make magic something that isn't class-specific or give magic using characters some way of inflicting immediate damage that is satisfying.
The open way's too dangerous / Listen close they're watching us
One more time you're losing us / Hold still they're shooting us
First wave down / I wonder when they're coming back
First wave intact
-Secret Machines- First Wave Intact
Gobbo Invasion Song!

inaluct

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2009, 10:24:03 pm »

Maybe I came off as more harsh than I intended to be. Probably. :P

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2009, 10:38:59 pm »

My question:

Why are you trying to build a serious, complex rules system out of something so ridiculously simplistic that there isn't even a concept of character skill involved in action resolution?
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2009, 11:52:42 am »

Because I play games not for the rules but for the narrative. And I had bad experience with games that focus purely on letting players say whatever they want, so I want to instead have it be rules-lite.

viskaslietuvai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2009, 12:31:41 pm »

I few rules system is totally okay, but you still should have some kind of system to create characters, otherwise it could very likely become a "do whatever you want" kind of an affair.
"I start flying"
"You don't know how to fly"
"Where's it say I don't know how to fly?"
Unlikely situation, but I think it shows what I mean.
The open way's too dangerous / Listen close they're watching us
One more time you're losing us / Hold still they're shooting us
First wave down / I wonder when they're coming back
First wave intact
-Secret Machines- First Wave Intact
Gobbo Invasion Song!