Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Stone to ... Food?  (Read 1931 times)

Bob Boberton

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Stone to ... Food?
« on: March 03, 2009, 10:09:36 am »

So I'm fairly happy working with a FREE_WOOD reaction in reactions_standard.txt, one that takes any generic stone. It eats up the spare stone everywhere and gives me the ability to start up a fort where there's no trees whatsoever. Now, taking a step further, I've been trying to add in a "FREE_FOOD" reaction. Here's what I've got:

Code: [Select]
[REACTION:FREE_FOOD]
[NAME:free plump helmet from stone]
[SMELTER]
[REAGENT:1:STONE:NO_SUBTYPE:STONE:NO_MATGLOSS]
[PRODUCT:100:1:PLANT:NO_SUBTYPE:FOOD:MUSHROOM_HELMET_PLUMP]

I've tried replacing "FOOD" in the last line with "PLANT" but it only generates "plant(s)", not plump helmets. Anyone know the syntax for doing this properly? As an added bonus, is there a way to get this reaction into the Kitchen workshop and not the Smelter? [KITCHEN] doesn't work... and food coming from a Smelter is ... questionable.

I mean, because Dwarves can eat rocks. Right?

Vucar Fikodastesh

• Bay Watcher
  • Grand Master Explorer
    • View Profile
Re: Stone to ... Food?
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2009, 10:32:05 am »

That should be:[PRODUCT:100:1:PLANT:NONE:MUSHROOM_HELMET_PLUMP:NONE]
I think it's a vastly amusing thought that elephants are so afraid of heights that when Dwarves invented the Z-axis, they couldn't bear to face dwarves in combat anymore.

Bob Boberton

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2009, 10:37:34 am »

That should be:[PRODUCT:100:1:PLANT:NONE:MUSHROOM_HELMET_PLUMP:NONE]
Works like a charm. Much appreciated.

Arvidsem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2009, 11:25:24 am »

If you are going to make food out of stone, then you have to mod in Dwarf Bread.
http://wiki.lspace.org/wiki/Dwarf_Bread

Moron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2009, 01:54:34 pm »

On a related point: Would it be possible to add a similar reaction to make glass from stone?

Nidokoenig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2009, 02:29:54 pm »

Looking at the Dwarf Bread link gave me an idea. Instead of producing an immediately edible plump helmet, the process could produce a new item, say "flour shot", "stone raisins", that sort of thing, and these are inedible, but are ingredients for cooking and are produced in large stacks, since one stone is enough to make a wall out of. They could be made at a Mason's Workshop from a stone and a bag, or maybe a bin.
 These could have little if any value, or even lower the value of meals prepared using them if that's possible, so they'd basically be used as filler, not that this would stop pure flour shot roasts coming out as often as all-flour, four tallow and bucket of booze roasts do, but they'd be near enough worthless. Good for the poor dwarves under the tyranny of Dwarven economy, though.
 Even better would be different values of flour based on the stone used, like iron ores having more value because of the nutritional value, or obsidian, adamantine, precious metals and gems yielding high value flour, much like gold leaf is occasionally used in ludicrously decadent dishes in real life.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2009, 02:41:23 pm by Nidokoenig »

Wolfius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2009, 05:49:14 pm »

"stone raisins"

You don't want to use that one - it sounds like petrified rodent droppings.  ;D

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2009, 07:19:34 pm »

"stone raisins"

With all the layers of mud, vomit, and blood, I don't think they'd notice. Besides, vermin makes for an excellent and endless source of food.

knightedskull

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2009, 03:49:39 pm »

"stone raisins"

With all the layers of mud, vomit, and blood, I don't think they'd notice. Besides, vermin makes for an excellent and endless source of food.

That means you'll have to kill the cats to farm the rats

Nidokoenig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2009, 08:16:34 pm »

From what I gather, there are two methods to go about this.

First option is to add a new smelter reaction, since that's the only building that new processes can currently be added to, and add Rock Flour, Cooking Gravel and Stone Steaks with the [EDIBLE_WHENCOOKED] tag. I'd be using three different types of product to reduce the size of stacks, since obviously a rock large enough to be made into a wall is obviously going to be sufficient to raise enough rock flour for a thousand meals or so. I'm thinking of limiting it to a stack each of 25 rock flour, 15 cooking gravel and five stone steaks, or something around that. Hopefully it's possible to use non-integers as values for value, that would cause the value dropping effect for the prepared meals cooked with rock derived ingredients. Perhaps it would be an idea to make a bin and a bag required to hold the flour and gravel respectively.
 Only thing I'm not sure of is if I can just add a new reaction class to make this work for all or many stones at once, something like [REACTION_CLASS:ROCK_FLOUR]. If I just plug that into the Make Stone Cooking Ingredients reaction and add it to each stone individually, would that work, or is there more going on with the [REACTION_CLASS:FLUX] tag than I'm seeing?
 Is it possible to have modded items created in a bin, barrel or bag? It'd make sense for rock flour to be stored in a bin and cooking gravel to be stored in a bag, but if it's not possible, meh.

Second is to just add a millable tag and such to all rocks in matgloss_stone_mineral, like so:

[MATGLOSS_STONE:JET]
[NAME:jet][COLOR:0:7:1][TILE:176]
[ENVIRONMENT:SEDIMENTARY:CLUSTER:100]
[MILL:Jet flour:0:7:1]
[MILL_VALUE:0.5]
[COOKABLE_WHEN_MILLED]

The problem with this is that milling is done in a 1:1 ratio, so one stone becomes one serving of rock flour, which is quite frankly silly. If anyone knows how to make this yield larger stacks, that would be helpful.

Which idea do people prefer? A reaction at the smelter that produces a bunch of items, or a much neater milling operation that produces a larger stack of one ingredient, provided it can be made to work properly? I can't see a way to add it as a Mason's Workshop task, which would make the most sense. I suppose replacing toys or instruments might work, but that's a pretty drastic measure.

All this reminds me of a joke Alan Davies told on QI:

I was in Australia once, and there was . . . A very common bird in Australia is the Galah. And it's a pink, kind-of parrot-looking thing. And then we met this bloke that says, "You wanna know how to cook a Galah?" I said, "Go on, then." He said, "Start a fire . . . chuck a couple of rocks in it . . . chuck a Galah in . . . When the rocks go soft, you can eat the Galah!"

As for making glass from stone, yes, as long as you're happy about making it at a smelter it should work fine. Just look at the reactions in reaction_standard.txt in the DF>raw>objects folder and it should be easy enough to work out what you need to do to write a new reaction. Adding a reaction class tag to various rocks may or may not work and would be the easiest way of setting it up. Bear in mind this is all based on my very early impressions, so I'm not sure this will actually work.

Nidokoenig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2009, 12:12:17 pm »

Well, I've tried the milling option. These two changes to matgloss_stone_mineral don't work:

ore of mercury, powdered gives vermilion dye
[MATGLOSS_STONE:CINNABAR]
[NAME:cinnabar][COLOR:4:7:1][TILE:156]
[ENVIRONMENT:IGNEOUS_EXTRUSIVE:VEIN:100]
[ENVIRONMENT_SPEC:SHALE:VEIN:100]
[ENVIRONMENT_SPEC:QUARTZITE:VEIN:100]
[ITEM_SYMBOL:'*']
[MILL:cinnabar flour:4:7:1]
[MILL_VALUE:0.025]
[MILL_SIZE:30]
[COOKABLE_WHEN_MILLED]

[MATGLOSS_STONE:CALCITE]
[NAME:calcite][COLOR:7:7:1][TILE:'"']
[REACTION_CLASS:FLUX]
[ENVIRONMENT_SPEC:LIMESTONE:CLUSTER_SMALL:100]
[ENVIRONMENT_SPEC:MARBLE:CLUSTER_SMALL:100]
[VALUE:2]
[MILL:limestone flour:7:7:1]
[MILL_VALUE:0.025]
[MILL_SIZE:30]
[COOKABLE_WHEN_MILLED]

I tried cinnabar on an existing world, then generated a new one to try cinnabar and limestone. After that, I removed all the milling tags and entered [EDIBLE_WHENCOOKED] instead, still didn't work. I did remember to make limestone available for general use in the Stone inventory screen. Seems these tags can't applied to stone.

I'll try to get a smelter reaction to work now. First I'll try adding rocks individually or just as a general class, then I'll see if I can do silly things like add a reaction tag in the style of flux stone.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2009, 05:21:56 pm »

The [MILL:?] [COOKABLE_WHEN_MILLED] tags and the others that you have been describing only work on growable plants, they don't work on stone or creatures or trees. The current only way to change stone into food is with a reaction. My suggestion is to make it a two step process by adding the [METAL_ORE:?:100] tag to all of the stones that you want to be able to turn into food. This will allow you to turn all of those rocks into a single metal, call it crushed rock. You can then create a reaction that will turn curshed rock into rock flour.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Nidokoenig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2009, 01:14:02 am »

Thanks, that's probably what I'll do, though I'll probably take the time to differentiate the results a bit, as I said earlier about making iron ores and other special rocks into particularly valuable rock flours. If nothing else, if I just have every rock set to turn into rock flour, cooking gravel and stone steaks, it'll mean all the valuable ores will get ground up as well, unless the player micromanages their stockpiles specifically.

Zaranthan

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet Smelter
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2009, 08:39:30 am »

... all the valuable ores will get ground up as well, unless the player micromanages their stockpiles specifically.

Watch out for this. Few things are less fu- er, entertaining than trying to micromanage what materials dwarfs use. I've come to accept that my masonry will come out in all sorts of colors, because trying to make all my doors out of gabbro and pitching the mica is just too much player effort for such a small result. If I have to do that just so my dwarfs don't turn platinum into food (because Lord knows, it's hard to get FOOD in this game), I'd never even CONSIDER using your mod.
Quote from: Howard, Nerf This, by Scott D. Ferguson
Villains sleep with hookers, heroes sleep with destiny.

Nidokoenig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2009, 01:43:05 pm »

What I'll probably do is make it modular, as far as is possible. First I'll do a set for all the generic and non-toxic stones(though I'll almost definitely makes mistakes), then later I'll add the poisonous and valuable stuff later with separate reactions.

I'll do it like this:

1. All non-economic, non-poisonous stones into plain "rock flour", "cooking gravel" and "stone steak". This means no haematite, bauxite, native whatever and no cinnabar or pitchblende. We're already making a a huge assumption that the Dwarven digestive system can handle rock and what not, but this being the internet, I'm sure there's someone who thinks going from that to eating mercury and uranium breaks suspension of disbelief.

2. Metal ores into "tasty rock flour", "tasty cooking gravel" and "tasty stone steaks", native gold, platinum, silver, aluminium and copper into specific "x dust", "x leaf" and "x quenelles", obsidian and bauxite into "wholemeal rock flour", "wholemeal cooking gravel" and "full fat stone steaks". These will all increase the value of food made with them by various, mostly slight, amounts.

3. Cinnabar and other toxic rocks will make "tangy rock flour", etc.

Oh, slight problem with the metal ore tag, that would require fuel. Since the general idea here is the stuff being hacked, whacked and, er, milled into usable food, using fuel seems odd. Also, I'm short enough on fuel as it is.

Before anyone gets their hopes up that this will happen speedily, don't. I'm a lazy so-and-so so it'll be done when it's done.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2009, 01:59:47 pm by Nidokoenig »
Pages: [1] 2