Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: trying to mod in all-in-one clothing  (Read 2702 times)

AncientEnemy

• Bay Watcher
  • The Answer is always POUR MAGMA ON IT
    • View Profile
trying to mod in all-in-one clothing
« on: March 03, 2009, 07:05:46 pm »

i'm tired of clothing related clutter, reading it in the inventory screen, throwing away individual shoes, etc. what i'm attempting to do is edit the raws to simply have 1 'clothing' item, that would provide coverage for the entire body (for example, a "set of pig tail clothing" would be 1 item that (abstractly) would include cap/shirt/pants/gloves/boots/etc.

first, how would I start?

1. delete the existing clothing entries in the item_X.txt files

2. create a new item, perhaps the following:

Code: [Select]
[ITEM_ARMOR:ITEM_ARMOR_CLOTHING]
[NAME:clothing:clothing]
[PREPLURAL:sets of]
[WEIGHT:140]
[VALUE:140]
[MAINBLOCK:20]
[SECONDBLOCK:20]
[UBSTEP:MAX]
[LBSTEP:MAX]
[LAYER:UNDER]
[COVERAGE:100]
[LAYER_SIZE:1]
[LAYER_PERMIT:1]
[MATERIAL_SIZE:15]
[HARD]
[LEATHER]
I'm not sure if this is right but conceivably it would provide coverage over the whole body, weigh about as much as a full set of clothing, use about as much material to make? I made it 'hard' because I don't want to deal with it wearing out. it wouldn't provide as much protection to the hands and feet as gloves/mittens do, but there's always real armor for that.

- gen a new world? world my new starting dwarves come with this type of clothing?

any help would be appreciated
« Last Edit: March 03, 2009, 07:08:34 pm by AncientEnemy »

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: trying to mod in all-in-one clothing
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2009, 07:17:09 pm »

Until owned items are dealt with, I just stick with removing all clothing from the game. All of it. No civilization can make it, and there isn't even a clothing entry in the various crafted items raws.

To balance this out, I up the [LAYERING] to about 200ish, so dwarves won't freeze to death in the snow.

I figure this just abstracts away clothing, much like how bathroom breaks are abstracted away.

The best solution would of course be to have owned objects become discarded and no longer owned after they're damaged and dropped, or if they're laying on the floor during season change, so the clutter won't be a problem.

AncientEnemy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2009, 07:31:19 pm »

actually, now that i think about it, that sounds alot better. but to do that i just delete all the clothing item entries in the item_X.txt files, and then up [layering] in creature_standard.txt? sorry, somewhat new at messing with the raws

oh, and should I up it for humans/elves/goblins? elves dont even seem to have a layering entry
« Last Edit: March 03, 2009, 07:32:58 pm by AncientEnemy »

Creamcorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANCIFUL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2009, 08:12:32 pm »

To balance this out, I up the [LAYERING] to about 200ish, so dwarves won't freeze to death in the snow.

Those must be some hairy dwarfs.
"OH NO! That carp is gulping at me menacingly, even though it cannot really threaten me from here on land!  I KNOW! I'll dodge into the water, where I'll be safe!"

AncientEnemy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2009, 08:31:25 pm »

anyone, steps to a clothing-free world?

1. delete clothing entries in the item_whatever.txts

2. increase dwarf [LAYERING] to 200

3. is that it? should i mess with layering on humans/elves/goblins?

sorry, just kinda anxious to get a new game goin

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2009, 08:33:23 pm »

Experiment.

That's what DF is all about.
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

Vessol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.armageddon.org
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2009, 08:37:45 pm »

Dwarven jumpsuits!

AncientEnemy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2009, 08:38:13 pm »

wouldn't I have to re-gen a new world for each change tho? I don't want to get to my first goblin seige and have them all insta-freeze to death and have to start a whole new fort >>

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2009, 08:38:42 pm »

Dwarven jumpsuits!
Filth does not count as clothing.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Sir_Geo

• Bay Watcher
  • !
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2009, 09:18:23 pm »

Should it? I mean wouldn't it conceivably keep you warm in the amounts that dwarfs are covered?
The logistical problems dealing with a private space colony are at least as bad as dealing with the zombies.

http://mkv25.net/dfma/map-5403-fortressdipped
Fortressdipped, my ice castle.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2009, 12:54:12 am »

Yes, delete all of the clothing entries in things like the armor file, so that the only armor there is plate, chain, or leather armor instead of robes, tunics, togas, etc. Similarly, the only boots that should exist are high/low boots, and not slippers, sandals, etc.

Then after that, delete all of the clothing in the civ entities file for every civilization.

I put dwarves to layering 200, since thats on par with large animals that can survive in the snow, like goats. The default will cause slow but steady damage to cold weather, eventually killing the dwarf if they're outside for too long.

You will need to regen the world however.

Blakmane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2009, 01:54:04 am »

afaik clothes do not provide layering anyway, so that is irrelevant.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2009, 01:49:27 am »

afaik clothes do not provide layering anyway, so that is irrelevant.
Actually, they do. The [COVERAGE:100] tag is on most clothing and is equivalent to a tiny amount of layering. This can allow dwarves wearing lots of clothing to survive fine on glaciers and tundra but dwarves without clothes cannot.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Sinergistic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2009, 03:04:32 am »

Cloths don't affect damblock at all, correct?

Murphy

• Bay Watcher
  • Lazy half-ass
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2009, 03:10:53 am »

They do. A little bit. And if they are made from adamantine, you can in fact armor your civilian dwarves with them, once you have a legendary clothier or whoever is needed to make these. That's why I'd rather not remove all clothing from the game.

But I've done an all-in-one clothing item and succesfully modded it in. However, I can't make it protect the feet, hands and head. Figured it out when my test adventurer started freezing and damage was only being done to these parts.

Still, I do play with it, just increased all races' layering to 50 and it's fine. And the wiki says that wearing gloves and caps is bugged so the dwarves won't put them on anyway (they'll still wear those they have upon embarking). And it's nice to see "Owned items: 1" in a dwarf's profile :)
Pages: [1] 2