Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 12

Author Topic: Paranormal mafia game - Beware of Doppelgangers (Day 3 - game over!)  (Read 28956 times)

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile

So, I've decided to run my own mafia game. This one is going to be fairly simple, but will hopefully be interesting.

The basic premise is that a small town has been infested with Doppelgangers. They have eaten several prominent citizens and taken their bodies and memories for their own. Once they were firmly entrenched, they started killing and eating people at night. Many people have fled in terror, others went on a rampage. In the chaos, one of the Doppelgangers was killed, and reverted to it's real form. The remaining townsfolk now know that something bad is happening, and that any of them could be a monster. A search of the area has revealed a number of pods from whence the doppelgangers came. The town knows how many are left. The only task now is to identify them and kill them, before they eat the rest of the town alive.

Here are the possible roles (I'll choose randomly from a few different configurations to keep the suspense high)
  • Townie - Normal citizen. No powers, just your wits and a desire to live
  • Doppelganger - Body-snatching, man-eating monster. You want to feast on human flesh and avoid being caught
  • Doppelganger leader - More powerful and adept then the others, the leader is immune to detection short of death
  • Agent - An FBI agent investigating the situation. Can investigate one person per night to determine if they are human
  • Doctor - Can prevent one person from being killed by anything other then a lynch. Only protects against one attack a night
  • War Vet - Is trigger happy and will kill anyone targeting them at night, although they still die if the night target was deadly. Can choose to turn off this ability for a night (leaving themselves vulnerable)
  • Alien - The alien is also investigating the town. However, it has it's own goals and it's own win/lose situation
    The alien will have 1 of the following goals.
    • Contact the FBI - The Alien chooses one person a night. If that person is the Agent, the Alien wins. The Alien vanishes after it has won (goes to negotiate with the government). If that person is not the agent, however, the Alien kills them to keep their identity from being revealed. The Alien loses if the Agent is killed or if the town loses.
    • Grab a Doppelganger for Study - Once during the game, the Alien chooses a person at night and takes them onboard their space ship for study. Both Vanish. If the person was a Doppelganger, the Alien wins. If not, the Alien loses.
    • Survive - The Alien is there for some other purpose, and is simply hiding as a human. Their only goal is to survive until the end of the game. They win as long as they are alive, regardless of which side wins.
    • Exterminator - The doppelganger infestation is a danger to the Alien's people, and it and all traces of it must be wiped from the Earth. The Alien kills one person a night. The Alien wins when they are the only one left alive.

Not all roles are guaranteed. There can also be more then 1 alien, although each will have different goals. There will only be, at most, 1 Agent, 1 Doctor, and 1 Doppelganger Leader. Not all games will have all three of those roles.

Rule on PMs: Private Messages are allowed. However, I must be copied on all PMs. Failure to do so will result in very bad things happening to you. In addition you may NOT quote any PM from me, either your initial Role-PM or any role-related PMs. (Night role results, etc).  I'll make an exception for specifically rules-related questions. This is to keep the suspense and uncertainty in the game high. You're not supposed to know if the other person is lying or not, and quoting me gives too much weight to whatever it is you're saying.

Players list:
  • inaluct
  • Squeegy
  • Zaithemaster
  • webadict
  • Servant Corps
  • Pandarsenic
  • chaoticjosh
  • A_Fey_Dwarf
  • Cheeetar
  • FoboslC
  • NUKE9.13
  • Kashyyk
« Last Edit: March 12, 2009, 04:58:11 pm by Mephansteras »
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

inaluct

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Paranormal mafia game - Beware of Doppelgangers (sign up list)
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2009, 08:50:40 pm »

I'll sign up. Having a very large group of people would be ideal for this.

Squeegy

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't really have any answers for you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2009, 08:58:11 pm »

Me.
I think I'm an alright guy. I just wanna live until I gotta die. I know I'm not perfect, but God knows I try.
Kobold Name Generator
⚔Dueling Blades⚔
Fertile Lands
The Emerald Isles

Zai

• Bay Watcher
  • Elmo? Is that a SIMPLE UTENSIL?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2009, 09:01:07 pm »

I'll join.

Will the War Vet attack the Doctor and/or Agent?
DEATH has been waiting for you. He has poured you some TEA.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2009, 09:02:35 pm »

Yes he will. He's sort of a dangerous guy to have around.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2009, 09:02:43 pm »

I'm in.

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2009, 09:21:57 pm »

Actually, I like the idea of having the game be Aliens versus Townies. Not only do the Townies have to lynch the Aliens, but they have to figure out the goal of the Aliens before the Aliens win. Regardless of what the goal actually is.

Alien: We come in peace.
People: KILL THE XENOS!
* Servant Corps signs up.
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

Pandarsenic

• Bay Watcher
  • FABULOUS Gunslinger
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2009, 09:24:27 pm »

IIIIIIN.
KARATE CHOP TO THE SOUL
Your bone is the best Pandar honey. The best.
YOUR BONE IS THE BEST PANDAR
[Cheeetar] Pandar doesn't have issues, he has style.
Fuck off, you fucking fucker-fuck :I

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2009, 09:25:56 pm »

IN IN IN! ME ME ME!

inaluct

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2009, 09:27:55 pm »

I was just eating this bag of chips that was almost empty, so I tipped it into my mouth to get the crumbs. It was one of those things with miscellaneous chips and pretzels in it. I got a mouthful of salt and tiny pieces of chip.

It was horrible.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2009, 09:40:53 pm »

Actually, I like the idea of having the game be Aliens versus Townies. Not only do the Townies have to lynch the Aliens, but they have to figure out the goal of the Aliens before the Aliens win. Regardless of what the goal actually is.

Alien: We come in peace.
People: KILL THE XENOS!
* Servant Corps signs up.

Well, if I have lots of fun running this one maybe I'll try that. Going Paranormal gives all sorts of interesting possibilities, so I may do a string of these with different rule sets each time.

We'll start with Doppelgangers, though, since they're easy enough to work into the normal Mafia rules.
Come play Mafia with us!

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2009, 09:44:44 pm »

Was this game perhaps influenced by Snatcher?

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2009, 09:46:34 pm »

No, but that sounds like a cool game.
Come play Mafia with us!

A_Fey_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2009, 09:58:40 pm »

I'll play.

Cheeetar

• Bay Watcher
  • Spaceghost Perpetrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2009, 11:56:11 pm »

I'll play.
I've played some mafia.

Most of the time when someone is described as politically correct they are simply correct.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 12