Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Temperature simplification  (Read 1025 times)

AncientEnemy

• Bay Watcher
  • The Answer is always POUR MAGMA ON IT
    • View Profile
Temperature simplification
« on: March 17, 2009, 06:26:52 pm »

Right now it seems like temperature is a big drain on performance, for really not that much reward. I personally get 20-30 more FPS turning off temp and that's just on a 2x2 map, i'd think the increase would be even greater over a larger area.

Temperature doesn't really do alot. It -is- really cool that creatures actually have body temperature and all that, and does add another aspect of 'goddamn this game simulates everything!', but for regular gameplay it doesn't make much of a difference.

What I'd hope for is a option for simplified temperature. Basically the TEMPERATURE:NO setting with a few changes to effectively simulate the few ways that temperature actually affects gameplay.

magma sets things on fire/melts by touch
water freezes/unfreezes/evaporates during certain months in a given biome
fire spreads to adjacent burnable squares
not much else comes to mind

it seems like adding a couple new functions could by and large replace the currently intensive temperature system without much difference being apparent to the player (although the comprehensive system could be left in place)
« Last Edit: March 17, 2009, 06:28:47 pm by AncientEnemy »

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
Re: Temperature simplification
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2009, 06:31:21 pm »

magma sets things on fire/melts by touch
If the object does not have the appropriate temp values (for magma specifically - it could do a quick check on contact).
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2009, 06:43:56 pm »

I think oversimplifying such things is opposite of the striking realism Toady's going for.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2009, 06:55:59 pm »

I think oversimplifying such things is opposite of the striking realism Toady's going for.
Well, he is suggesting it as an option that can be used to improve FPS in a place where real temperature is not necessary.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2009, 07:02:59 pm »

There really should be a simplified weather option that just makes it randomly rain/snow with a chance based on your biome.

The weather calculations can make a lot of neat effects like fog and such that you can see in adventure mode... unfortunately the only thing it does for dwarf mode afaik is rain/snow and it's a huge processor hit just for that, considering as far as the player can tell it is random.

Temperature is a little different, in that it's something that can change a lot and has a huge effect on your game. Weather, not so much.
An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2009, 07:19:48 pm »

This would be a nice option.  I'd like to get the benefit of turning off temperature flows while still burning shit with magma.

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware those who would keep knowledge from you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2009, 07:26:05 pm »

I suspect weather is one of those things that will slowly but steadily become more and more important, as the game draws closer to it's envisioned state.
For they would be your masters.

profit

• Bay Watcher
  • Finely Crafted Engravings... Or it didn't happen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2009, 09:05:44 pm »

I hope this does become a reality... It pisses me off when dwarves suffocate in magma because I cant spare 50% of my FPS to leave the temperature tracking on.
Mods and the best utilities for dwarf fortress
Community Mods and utilities thread.

AncientEnemy

• Bay Watcher
  • The Answer is always POUR MAGMA ON IT
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2009, 09:31:20 pm »

i just think there's no gain to be had by something being simulated with extreme precision behind the scenes when the same thing could be simulated with just as much realism by a much simpler system.

i mean the grand majority of the time the only interaction the player has with temperature at all is ice or magma, and yet for those to work temperature must be constantly processed, when really the only part that matters (what the player can interact with) is that magma burns something when it touches it and that ice freezes and unfreezes at the appropriate times. an event-based temperature system could be just as accurate but virtually processing-free.

and like i said, the original temperature system would still be available, possibly for future use when it becomes more relevant or processing power becomes less so.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2009, 10:05:49 pm »

You're assuming temperature will always be simplistic and won't affect much. This isn't true: Even in the next version, temperatures of body parts, extracts, etc. will matter a lot more, and in the further future, especially when the "fire and lighting" arc stuff gets started, it'll continue to matter in more ways.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2009, 10:07:52 pm »

Oh come on, he just said this:

and like i said, the original temperature system would still be available, possibly for future use when it becomes more relevant or processing power becomes less so.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2009, 10:09:39 pm »

Okay, I admit I must have skimmed that part. :P

However, temperature probably matters more than you'd think in the current version. I'm not sure exactly how all of it is calculated, but I've seen different parts of a river freeze depending on what's around it, and below/above ground temperatures obviously vary too (water not freezing below-ground and such).
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2009, 08:20:29 am »

That said, it does seem reasonable to have magma and fire burn creatures independantly of the temperature tracking.

Silverionmox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2009, 09:40:30 am »

That said, it does seem reasonable to have magma and fire burn creatures independantly of the temperature tracking.
Much like dragon's fire burns creatures, even when temperature is off.
Dwarf Fortress cured my savescumming.