Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Sanitation Abstraction  (Read 4903 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Sanitation Abstraction
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2009, 04:42:35 pm »

"Pretty sure with the new material system you could make dwarves poop magma"

I don't care what anyone calls it... but if a Dwarf is pooping Magma... it isn't pooping... it is excreeting.

¿

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2009, 05:49:02 pm »

Screw magma. My dwarves will shit masterwork adamantine statues of turds.

Ezuku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2009, 07:59:58 pm »

If you make a pit drop leading to the outside with even a small number of Z levels, it'd be almost impossible for the waste to build up.

But seriously, do we *really* need another excuse for our soldiers to run off in the middle of battle?

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2009, 08:25:01 pm »

run off after the battle to change pants is more likely.
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

Silverionmox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2009, 05:56:55 am »

Excrements would be useful for their role as fertilizer alone.
Dwarf Fortress cured my savescumming.

profit

• Bay Watcher
  • Finely Crafted Engravings... Or it didn't happen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2009, 07:56:36 pm »

Considering dwarfs eat roughly 3 times a year.. When they let a log out... can you imagine how rotten and foul smelling it would be..

But Seriously....  More pathfinding?  More lag? More Time off duty?

Hell as it is.. I have to keep three squads stationed at my entrance if I want a reasonable chance to have it covered and not have the leader off beating his plump helmet.
Mods and the best utilities for dwarf fortress
Community Mods and utilities thread.

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2009, 08:32:56 pm »

Wouldn't be unmanageable if they pooped just before going to bed. You could place the sanitation facilities close to the beds and there'd be very little extra pathing

Even less so if you opt for the 'bucket in every room' solution

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 07, 2009, 08:56:08 pm »

The bucket is actually a pretty good approach -- at the least, a nice alternative for players who aren't inclined to go all out with a sewer system.  Maybe used buckets could generate "empty bucket" jobs just like rotting meat, etc. generate dump jobs.  Although they probably shouldn't start emitting miasma immediately.

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 07, 2009, 10:05:12 pm »

Takes a bit more finesse than that, otherwise dwarves will poop and go to sleep and the ones who aren't sleeping yet will barge in to steal their poop

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 07, 2009, 10:18:44 pm »

He was awoken by an indiscreet housekeeper while sleeping recently.  He was pleased to stay regular recently.

Yeah, apparently historically the emptying of the chamberpots was a morning chore.  Since there are no mornings, the job could just get generated as long as there's no dwarf currently using the associated bedroom.

Also, real chamberpots had lids to keep the "miasma" from spreading.  Perhaps buckets, which are more universally useful in a young fortress, could spread miasma immediately, while proper chamberpots (made of stone, wood or ideally ceramic) could suppress the odor, at least until it's stewed for a good long while.

Faces of Mu

• Bay Watcher
  • I once saw a baby ghost...but it was just a tissue
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 08, 2009, 11:34:10 am »

I just saw that bath tubs are in the dev notes - bloats. I've always felt three rooms for residences was always odd (mind the pun) for this square game, ie, bedroom, office, dining. A bathroom would even things out a bit and make apartments more like a bedsit.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 08, 2009, 12:59:36 pm »

But post status stupidity aside, many of these things people don't want could be added if the dwarves react accordingly to them. It's the unintended bugs that make features like this unwanted.

This a million times.

I would be in favor of stuff like dwarven bodily waste if it were actually handled properly/tastefully by the game. Unfortunately, DF is, I think, not quite capable of that at the moment. Consider how the game currently handles vomit, except on a more routine basis and substantially more disgusting.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

tsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 08, 2009, 03:38:40 pm »

Actually, as an interim solution I think a more complex but non-penalizing process would be ideal.

Step 1: Designate a restroom from a bucket + stone container. Capacity 10+, 15 perhaps. So there are not 15 hauling jobs, just one when "waste" reaches the capacity of the bathroom.

Step 2: Fill a "Compost Heap" with waste, withered plants and chunks and over time it turns into "Fertilizer".

Compost Heap takes say, 6 stone containers of some sort to make and is 4x4. Unless it is tended to, it creates miasma every so often. Tending job is unskilled and takes very little time.

Dwarves will naturally use the bathroom a certain amount of time after they eat, but will not randomly soil themselves if there isn't one, just get an unhappy thought akin to "Not enough chairs."
...Unless your message is "drvn 2 hsptl 4 snak bite" or something, you seriously DO have the time to spell it out.

Belteshazzar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 08, 2009, 07:08:15 pm »

I suppose with material defs it will be possible to make a character literally shit bricks?
I think that like many things the best implementation of such a system would be if objects could be stacked into real piles allowing us to fill in holes holes with all manner of garbage then let it decompose.
In the year 570, Kjerdregus occurred.

praguepride

• Bay Watcher
  • DF is serious business!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 09, 2009, 11:29:41 am »

I dunno, I like the idea of stinky dwarves generating maisma, but then they need a way to clean themselves.

I like the bucket/restroom idea, but you should also be able to build a chair over a hole to create a toilet. Then you can dump it onto whatever you like (magma, water, goblins).

This could ALSO make rotten food more interesting. Desperate dwarves might decide to eat rotten food, but this makes them have to use the restroom for a long...long time!
Man, dwarves are such a**holes!

Even automatic genocide would be a better approach
Pages: 1 [2] 3