Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Sanitation Abstraction  (Read 4757 times)

Ezuku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Sanitation Abstraction
« Reply #30 on: March 16, 2009, 09:21:58 pm »

... then we can make the game into theme hospital :D

Bloating beard disease, pop with obsidian sword, then fill back up with magma and water for obsidian replacement.

But seriously, if you implemented bathrooms, for the most part people would just want to build pit drops turrets over a massive pit, and there's simply no way it would ever fill up. Plus, you'd probably need to implement a vertical stench thing and...

I'd rather have more complex machinery rather than play pipe dreams.

jockmo42

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 16, 2009, 09:36:45 pm »

I'd be pretty satisfied with this game when I can make a literal pit of feces to drop people in.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 16, 2009, 11:17:32 pm »

I'd be pretty satisfied with this game when I can make a literal pit of feces to drop people in.

I like the bucket/restroom idea, but you should also be able to build a chair over a hole to create a toilet. Then you can dump it onto whatever you like (magma, water, goblins).

This could ALSO make rotten food more interesting. Desperate dwarves might decide to eat rotten food, but this makes them have to use the restroom for a long...long time!

With silly-as-hell quotes  like this going on (and many others in this thread), it's pretty clear why Toady ISN'T implementing this stuff, I think.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

jockmo42

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 16, 2009, 11:35:10 pm »

I like the bucket/restroom idea, but you should also be able to build a chair over a hole to create a toilet. Then you can dump it onto whatever you like (magma, water, goblins).

This could ALSO make rotten food more interesting. Desperate dwarves might decide to eat rotten food, but this makes them have to use the restroom for a long...long time!

With silly-as-hell quotes  like this going on (and many others in this thread), it's pretty clear why Toady ISN'T implementing this stuff, I think.

If Toady ignored requests that spawned silly comments, Dwarf Fortress would be nearly devoid of features. Your logic is hard for me to follow, to say the least.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 17, 2009, 12:19:08 am »

I know. It just seems like, by the nature of this thread, that adding this sort of thing to DF would just result in way too much utterly-tasteless junk that's better left out.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 17, 2009, 07:31:49 am »

I know. It just seems like, by the nature of this thread, that adding this sort of thing to DF would just result in way too much utterly-tasteless junk that's better left out.

Goodness I can see it now... Megaprojects of building the game's largest Toilet... Over 100 stories tall.

Urist McDetective

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 17, 2009, 07:54:53 am »

Right ... we'd better stick with kitten drowning and baby butchering. ::)
WELCOME TO FUCKING BAY12!
 - not only do they have the weapons, they also have the Fortresses -
I have noticed a rather mixed reaction with microcline, but what do people think of olivine?
Oh I love olivine.  I think dark green furniture makes the fortress tasteful.
Wait, what?

Mikademus

• Bay Watcher
  • Pirate ninja dwarves for great justice
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 17, 2009, 08:35:51 am »

Killing kittens and babies is something natural and beautiful, while excreting is unwholesome and wicked.
You are a pirate!

Quote from: Silverionmox
Quote from: bjlong
If I wanted to recreate the world of one of my favorite stories, I should be able to specify that there is a civilization called Groan, ruled by Earls from a castle called Gormanghast.
You won't have trouble supplying the Countess with cats, or producing the annual idols to be offerred to the castle. Every fortress is a pale reflection of Ghormenghast..

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 17, 2009, 01:43:02 pm »

I don't recall people intentionally butchering babies much in DF.

They butcher kittens, yeah, but that's to get around the whole catsplosion issue, which IS a problem. Butchering kittens, once proper solutions to that problem are in place, won't be an issue.

jockmo42

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 17, 2009, 06:18:57 pm »

I don't recall people intentionally butchering babies much in DF.

They butcher kittens, yeah, but that's to get around the whole catsplosion issue, which IS a problem. Butchering kittens, once proper solutions to that problem are in place, won't be an issue.

It will if I have anything to say about it. I've never had a cat problem, just infinite potential for entertainment.

And on-topic, I can see your point about how pits of feces are a bit unfocused as a feature, but really... Pits of feces. You can't deny the lure.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 17, 2009, 06:45:09 pm »

And on-topic, I can see your point about how pits of feces are a bit unfocused as a feature, but really... Pits of feces. You can't deny the lure.

It's more like a power goal in that regard.  Hmm, and there is at least one poop-alluding powergoal already:

# PowerGoal153, THE CRACKS OF DOOM, (Future): You flee into the sewer with the baron's ring, but sliding in the muck, you drop it. Try as you might, you cannot locate the precious object in the town's filth.

Don't try and tell me it's just mud in that sewer.

jockmo42

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 17, 2009, 07:03:54 pm »

It's more like a power goal in that regard.  Hmm, and there is at least one poop-alluding powergoal already:

# PowerGoal153, THE CRACKS OF DOOM, (Future): You flee into the sewer with the baron's ring, but sliding in the muck, you drop it. Try as you might, you cannot locate the precious object in the town's filth.

Don't try and tell me it's just mud in that sewer.

Agreed, and if that title isn't a play on words I don't know what is.
Pages: 1 2 [3]