Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Blush; be an egg stealing octopus today!  (Read 2404 times)

Rilder

• Bay Watcher
  • Rye Elder
    • View Profile
Re: Blush; be an egg stealing octopus today!
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2009, 11:14:33 am »

I noticed DF players are becoming more and more elitist and close-minded to anything that isn't DF or like DF.  It's kinda sad. :(  Not being able to enjoy a story someone else wrote is also a bit sad.  A lot of games have wonderful stories with a lot of atmosphere and emotion in them, something DF can't generate for you.  Unless you spend a lot of time writing it all out in detail, which basically makes you the writer of a linear story for others to read.

Look I have nothing against a linear storyline, I enjoy books and tv/movies as much as the next guy.  Its just when I have to go through the tedius effort of playing through it in a medium like a game where alot of the details and emotions get kinda glazed over because of the game constraints, and when cinematics and stuff come right after a sequence of action and killing, your own addrenalin rush kinda makes you skip over stuff. Not to mention that alot of awesome game ideas are ruined by the dev team just saying screw it and making it a linear game, (imagine if the RTW dev team said screw it and removed the campaign mode in favor of 20 tactical battles with cutscenes in between.) 

Also non-linear games like Dwarf fortress, RTW and so on promote the writing of AAR's community and succession games, which really extend the replayability of a game, (read a community game now and tell me you don't immediatly start getting urges to start up DF and play)
Steam Profile
Youtube(Let's Plays), Occasional Streaming
It felt a bit like a movie in which two stoners try to steal a military helicopter

woose1

• Bay Watcher
  • Yay for bandwagons!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2009, 11:36:52 am »

Hey gaiz lets not fight.... lets focus on the squid.... that steals eggs....

Abyss

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2009, 12:26:48 pm »

This game looks awesome... but since I am on a computer at my college, one of the few computers with no plugins installed in fact, I shall be unable to try this until I get home.

Then I can steal eggs!

Creamcorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANCIFUL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2009, 06:39:16 pm »

It's very fun, except the timed limit makes it very well unfun. The enviroment is extremely fascinating along with enemies, there's much to look at in a very small enviroment.
"OH NO! That carp is gulping at me menacingly, even though it cannot really threaten me from here on land!  I KNOW! I'll dodge into the water, where I'll be safe!"

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2009, 08:05:12 pm »

I don't mind linear games. I just beat FFT for the first time today! I'm proud, although the ending made me feel <omitted>.

I'll give this octopi game a shot though.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2009, 08:12:02 pm »

DF has the best storyline ever. BECAUSE YOU MAKE IT!

How come? You already know all the plot twists, all the schemes, who's going to live and who's going to die, etc. I prefer playing a story somebody else has made because, well, I will be surprised.
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2009, 08:17:21 pm »

I don't know what's going to happen in DF. When my last mayor Zulban died, I was completely suprised. Same with Duchess dieing seconds later (She got trapped when removing a floor, and I didn't notice).
Even the avatars expire eventually.

smeej

• Bay Watcher
  • The last thing you remember...
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 09, 2009, 12:57:39 am »

No plot can ever be as action packed as the random things that well befall a dwarf fortress.

The best thing is leaving a fortress to run while you go to the kitchen for a minute and coming back to discover a river completely stained with blood and searching desperately to find out what the hell just happened.

Anyways, Blush is awesome. Raptor Safari, however, is so much better.
IT'S A SAD THING THAT YOUR ADVENTURES HAVE ENDED HERE!!

Yanlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary comedian.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 09, 2009, 05:32:48 am »

How come? You already know all the plot twists, all the schemes, who's going to live and who's going to die, etc. I prefer playing a story somebody else has made because, well, I will be surprised.

But you get to MAKE those plot twists, schemes, life and death decisions and etc!
WE NEED A SLOGAN!

Splendiferous

• Bay Watcher
  • Psychotic. Primate.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 09, 2009, 06:51:06 pm »

But you get to MAKE those plot twists, schemes, life and death decisions and etc!

you guys are both right. congratulations.
"He returns once every thousand years! Or if the stars align! Or whenever he's bored."

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 09, 2009, 08:21:27 pm »

You know the topic title says Octopus, but the OP says squid.

All in all, it was a fun game, at least for the first 4 minutes.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.
Pages: 1 [2]