Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]

Author Topic: Your most uber "Duh" moments  (Read 21133 times)

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Your most uber "Duh" moments
« Reply #75 on: July 11, 2009, 06:34:15 pm »

Did you know that slate floors get hot enough to set wagons on fire when you build them directly over magma?

Waiiiiiiiit... You can set the wagons on FIRE! HOLY CRAP, I gotta try that. Wonder if you can use that against the elves? Do their mules burn?
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

Dante

• Bay Watcher
  • Dante likes cats for their corrupt intentions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: July 11, 2009, 07:11:56 pm »

I recently started modding the game extensively to provide more of a challenge. I made a pantheon of megabeast demons. For added challenge, I chose an aquifer site and built my fort under it.
I'm still not sure what went wrong, but the most powerful of my modded demons turned up listed not as a 'guest' but as a 'ruler'. None of my dwarfs would attack it, but it had fun spitting webs at them and destroying all my traps and bridges. Finally it got into the lower layers and knocked out some of the doors keeping back the water where I'd accidentally burrowed into the aquifer.
The result was an irrepairably flooded fortress being besieged by goblins and now without any defences.

Firnagzen

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_INSANE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: July 11, 2009, 08:35:00 pm »

Well, there's the volcano over there, and since I have so many masons I may as well build a tunnel instead of bothering with channels.  No problems there.  Wait, I just missed a caravan because it couldn't path around my magma tube.  No worries, I'll just build some ramps for next year.  The setup was kind of like this.
      ______
___//Magma\\____

Did you know that slate floors get hot enough to set wagons on fire when you build them directly over magma?

Sadly, it's not actually the slate floor setting the wagon on fire; rather, because wagons are 3 tiles long, when they go up/down the ramp, one tile sticks THROUGH the ramp and into the lovely magma. Some guy on the forum discovered this, there's a topic somewhere. Only he used vicious aquatic animals and water and green glass.
Christ, are you dwarves or are you elves? If you think Hell has too many demons, then you kill them till the population reaches an acceptable number.

Yanlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary comedian.
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: July 12, 2009, 07:32:28 am »

what do you mean there's a wiki
inflammable means flammable? what a country

Who the hell are you?
WE NEED A SLOGAN!

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: July 12, 2009, 08:16:43 am »

he's you from an alternate dimension
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

Chalk

• Bay Watcher
  • oh dear
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: July 12, 2009, 09:47:16 pm »

"Oooh, a goblin ambush! Sweet, time to test out my new military! Hmm, better fiddle with the orders to make sure I don't lose all my fisherdwarves."

"Hey, why are my soldiers huddled up in my main dining hall?"

"Aaaaah! Dead!! ALL DEAD!"

"...wait, there's a 'soldiers can go outside' setting?"  :o

jokermatt999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: July 12, 2009, 10:56:30 pm »

"Oh, a dragon. I wonder if I can cage him. Oh damn, he's just going for my entrance. The weapon traps will probably just shred him.

Did I seriously forget to block off the diagonal so that he wouldn't just step around? Yes. Yes I did. And now he's ignited my booze stockpile. Arg!"
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]