Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6

Author Topic: Your most uber "Duh" moments  (Read 21071 times)

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
Re: Your most uber "Duh" moments
« Reply #60 on: March 22, 2009, 10:25:02 am »

1) When channeling a moat you are planning on filling with liquid, double check to make sure you didn't dig any part of the fortress directly underneath the planned moat location before flooding.

2) When expecting multiple ambushes do not send the entire military to engage the enemy out one gate expecting to be able to pull them back while fighting if an ambush shows up at the other gate.

3) [FIREIMMUNE] things will path through magma if it is the fastest route.  Combine with not-so-flame-retardant clothing and heat immunity, your fortress will crumble to it's end as your new living fireball sets fire to the barracks, food, booze, pets, grassland, and traders for a few years while lighting everyone else on fire so they can join in.

4) Do not assign war animals to seige operators.  There is a good chance that they will stupidly stand infront of your king sized crossbows when they go off.  Ever see a dog forced through a fortification before?  I have. (at least it's parts were)
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

LegacyCWAL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 22, 2009, 01:25:08 pm »

"Doot doot doo, ambushers coming my way, time to test out my ridiculously well-trapped Corridor O' Doom.  Yup, going to have lots of dead...why are they turning?"

Flashback: "Well, I've got enough underground area carved out to start moving everything off the surface.  I'll just dig a temporary stairwell to make it easier to move stuff to my future meeting hall."

"...fuck."

(Later, same fort)

"Ooh, a siege!  It's a good thing I sealed off that stairway, huh?  Now they're going to walk right into...why are the crossbow goblins stopping?"

Flashback: "Hey, this cliff-surrounded spot would make a great place for a new, outdoor meeting hall!  It even overlooks the area outside my entrance!"

"...fuck."

===

(Different fort)

"What the, why the hell are my mining tunnels flooding?"

Flashback:  "Yup, gonna refill my fishin' hole.  I'll just dig a tunnel from the river.  I need some stairs for the miners to do it, so I might as well just use up/down ones."

"...fuck."
HIDE THE WOMEN AND DROWN THE CHILDREN, THE BARON HAS ARRIVED.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 22, 2009, 04:04:42 pm »

YOU MUST DESTROY THE PAST!!!!!!!!!

IT"S THE ONLY WAY!!!!

RoboCicero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 22, 2009, 10:52:12 pm »

My own, personal Tradanbattlan moment:

I lost three legendary miners that way. Well, two accidentally channeled out the land they were standing on, while the last one died because I was testing it out.

Musluk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 22, 2009, 10:56:05 pm »

I was going to make that.

But, it took my new rig over 10 minutes to process 1 tile of cave-in, so I diverted my attention elsewhere.
Fe3g12 - the fourth iron ore.
The man who can smile when things go wrong has thought of someone he can blame it on.

Vincent

• Bay Watcher
  • Would you really butcher this kitty?
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 23, 2009, 01:39:30 am »

Oh, let's see how that moat's going- oh, wait. It hit my farm. Whoops, oh well. A dry moat's just as good.

-Later-

Oh, a goblin ambush. Well, I didn't need that cat anyway. Raise the bridge.

Wait a sec, why are they still advancing?

Urist McMudslogger, Planter, has been shot and killed.

Damnit.

-Different fort-

Oh, the well system's going swimmingly. Let's turn it on... Ok, the Tank's getting full. Pull the lever again.

Er, why is nobody pulling the lever?

-Lever has been submerged-

God-frikkin'-damnit.
[CREATURE:VINCENT]
   [INTELLIGENT]
   [liKES_CATGIRLS]
   [NOCTURNAL]

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 23, 2009, 01:39:56 pm »

I always get caught in those loopy logics.

Loopy Logic!

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 23, 2009, 02:09:19 pm »

I got a new one. Just happened recently.

Oh! A dragon!  I don't see those too often.  Military is in bad shape after that last seige, but lets see how they handle it.
-Later-
Wait...where did the dragon go?
Dragon has destroyed a limestone door.
AH! where the heck is it?
All the doors near the entrance are fine that just leaves....the arena victory exit!
(cut to arena sector with smoke everywhere and flaming people running in terror)

Lesson: A single unguarded locked door leading to the heart of your fortress is not the most secure way to give goblin POWs incentive to engage your champions in an arena.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Tradanbattlan

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_DECENCY]
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Channel
« Reply #68 on: July 08, 2009, 09:44:59 am »

I let my only dwarf with considerable weapon skills do this

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: July 08, 2009, 09:32:34 pm »

Got a message that one of my war dogs had been struck down. Found it's corpse next to a badly mangled harpy, so I activated my woodcutter/axedwarf to go kill it. At the time, I had checked my units list and there were no other harpies on the map. I figure my axedwarf will get there fast enough to execute the stunned harpy, problem solved.

As my axedwarf reaches the stunned harpy, his three buddies come in from the edge of the map. The axedwarf was good, but outnumbered and unarmored. He didn't last long. Might have stood a chance if I had drafted my miners to go with him.

Next map I'm better prepared. While my craftsdwarf waits for some workspace to be mined out I have some leather armor put together, and just in time. A pack of beak dogs swarms in, slaughtering my livestock and threatening my fortress. I quickly order my crafters indoors while activating my miners and woodcutter, decking them out in leather. They quickly put down the beak dogs, but not before they kill two of my dwarves who didn't go inside. I forgot that, due to a terrible AI bug on Toady's part, dwarves who are outside when the order to stay inside goes out won't actually go inside unless there's an indoors meeting area.

Waiting to find my next evil/forest map with a magma pipe. Wondering what my next "oh sh*t" moment will be after I set up a temporary break area from a cage indoors. I'm gonna go with something related to undead carp.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

Dorf3000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: July 09, 2009, 02:36:17 am »

Embarked on a goblin fortress - 3 nice obsidian towers ready made to move in and fill with dorfs.  Oh, how nice, the residents are all friendly too.  This will be cake...

4 or so years later, thriving fortress filled with dorfs, surrounded by traps, megaproject well underway etc etc etc.

A vile force of darkness has arrived!

seconds later after preparing my military to go out and cut them down..

Urist McIndoorsDwarf has been struck down
Urist McNotInDanger has been struck down
Urist McSafeInside has bled to death
etc.

I only figured out what was going on when I scrolled down the (u) screen.  Ooops.
I had a tigerman get elected mayor and he promptly mandated 3 bowls of cereal.

yaklin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: July 09, 2009, 04:06:31 pm »

what do you mean there's a wiki
inflammable means flammable? what a country

Blackburn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: July 09, 2009, 04:15:42 pm »

"OK, gonna dig into the side of this river to make some mud to make a farm. I'll just put this lever connected to the floodgate dangerously close to it."

*water starts flowing in*

"OK, that's enough. Dwarf, go pull the lever."

*water covers lever*

"...Yo? You can swim to it! Pull it!"

*water floods fortress*

"DAMN IT!!"

milaga

• Bay Watcher
  • No Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: July 10, 2009, 02:54:38 pm »

In my most recent game I embarked on the opposite side of a chasm from all of the wood, water and soil. I built the fort in the mountains and had a drawbridge leading out across the chasm to the forest side of the chasm. All in all it looked like a good forest design.

I dug out a cave and start planting. I think thought I'd shear off the top of the hill above the farm to give the towers in front of the drawbridge a better line of sight. Unfortunately the land was kinda wonky and there were a bunch of z levels and ramps everywhere. I didn't notice that the hill actually had a fourth layer on top. So as soon as I turned the 3rd level into ramps the fourth level crashed through it and the whole hill pancaked. My farmer and his recent batch of crops were crushed. The miner was blown off into the chasm, as were the two guards I had stationed on the bridge. Along with their newly forged iron chainmail armor.

Also, in a previous game, I had built floors over a chasm and I wanted to replace them with walls. So I foolishly put a whole bunch of dangerous remove construction orders together. Two peasants rush over and they just seem to be standing there. As I'm trying to figure out what they are doing they both dissappear and I get the message that they've fallen into the chasm. Turns out they both were removing the floor under each other's feet.
Thanks for that...  now I have the image of Urist McBooger walking up to me with a creepy smile and asking me if I want a "dwarven shower".

shadowform

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: July 11, 2009, 07:30:51 am »

1) When channeling a moat you are planning on filling with liquid, double check to make sure you didn't dig any part of the fortress directly underneath the planned moat location before flooding.

This is the first thing I learned playing DF.  Now, any time I plan on making a moat, I always build my 'transit nexus' (the big crossroads where the mines, farms, lodging, etc all connect, usually right next to the trade depot) at least two floors down from the surface...  and then burrow upwards to get to whatever soil I need for farms.

I had fun with a magma pipe on a island fort once.  Islands are a double-edged sword in that only your parent civ will send you caravans, but you will never be sieged or ambushed.  Turning all of your dwarves into masons instead of military allows for incredible megaprojects.  But anyway.

Well, there's the volcano over there, and since I have so many masons I may as well build a tunnel instead of bothering with channels.  No problems there.  Wait, I just missed a caravan because it couldn't path around my magma tube.  No worries, I'll just build some ramps for next year.  The setup was kind of like this.
      ______
___//Magma\\____

Did you know that slate floors get hot enough to set wagons on fire when you build them directly over magma?
Q: What do you get when you take 100 clear glass windows, 1000 silver bars, 6700 gold bars, and 18,000 marble blocks?

A: A very large wall.

"Alright, here's Helltooth... Harborfence... Urist, come get GenericBlade... and you. Welcome to the Danger Room. First timers get good ol' Ballswallowed. Have fun and try not to take off your own toe."
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6