Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: A bit stuck here.... Any help?  (Read 4376 times)

Frelock

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Philosopher
    • View Profile
Re: A bit stuck here.... Any help?
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2009, 05:21:28 pm »

Yea, but as it stands, tanks seems to not do much.  I had a safehouse with the works installed, specifically tank traps.  I never saw a tank, and successfully fought off 5 separate raids before I decided to move (I had about 20 enlightened agents, each one with a M4 carbine, SWAT armor or better, and trained by the guy who came in with 9 rifle skill).  In each of those 4 raids, I never once saw a tank, or helicopter for that manner (even though it said the air force was coming, and we could hear helicopters outside).  Do tank traps completely stop tanks from getting in?
All generalizations are false....including this one.

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jonathansfox.com/
« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2009, 07:02:32 pm »

Yes, tank traps keep tanks out completely. Right now, some of the elements of the siege are things like bombers taking out your generator and killing or injuring your people, snipers shooting people through windows, engineers removing tank traps, and journalists sneaking in to interview the radicals under siege. These things only happen if you wait out the siege. There's really no good reason to wait it out right now though, besides the interview, which isn't enough of an incentive.

Little

• Bay Watcher
  • IN SOVIET RUSSIA, LITTLE IS YOU!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2009, 10:12:25 pm »

Yeah, we need more positive stuff.
Blizzard is managed by dark sorcerers, and probably have enough money to bail-out the federal government.

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2009, 10:31:00 pm »

How about indepedent peace activists protesting the siege, by acting as human shields? Unlike the journalist, the peace activists just increase the popularity of the LCS, and the longer the siege, the more likely the peace activists would arrive.
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

Oksbad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2009, 09:59:36 am »

Yes, tank traps keep tanks out completely. Right now, some of the elements of the siege are things like bombers taking out your generator and killing or injuring your people, snipers shooting people through windows, engineers removing tank traps, and journalists sneaking in to interview the radicals under siege. These things only happen if you wait out the siege. There's really no good reason to wait it out right now though, besides the interview, which isn't enough of an incentive.

Tanks?!?!? How on earth would you take out tanks?!?!?   ;D

And bombers taking out generators? I was under the impression it was a washing machine sized machine, not another building

Anyway my police sleeper conservatives do a good job of tipping me off before raids. Do manager sleepers (such as CEO's) tip you off before a merc raid? My experience says no...
I always just found it peculiar that the police are always able to pin the crime on you 100 percent of the time. The fact that organized crime rings exist at all without being bombed to hell by the national guard is evidence enough that this is not strictly the case in reality.

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2009, 05:23:14 pm »

If you plan approriately for tanks, you can easily render them useless. For instance, surrounding your safehouse with a 20ft wide ditch 10-15 ft deep covered with plywood reinforced by 2X4s would allow foot traffic but prevent any tank from entering. Likewise, minefields, dragon teeth, even the massive decorative planters outside many a corporate building, can all impede tanks.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2009, 06:01:13 pm »

Yeah, there's good reasons tanks dont go indoors too often.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Rezan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 09, 2009, 02:01:13 am »

Urrrrh, I don't know about planters stopping a tank. I mean, there are tanks that can go 80 km/h, which effectively makes them rolling destruction. And tanks have, you know, some pretty awesome firepower. I don't see how it'd be possible to stop them without a whole ton of mines.

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 09, 2009, 02:45:11 am »

Tanks suck. Theres a reason the modern American army is based on the Air/Infantry synergy. Yes, we still have mechanized infantry. However, one squad of marines backed up by the Air Force can do more damage then a battalion of tanks. All a tank is is an artillery piece that can move quickly.

Listen, dragon's teeth are a series of concrete pyramids about 2-4 feet high. Decorative concrete planters are chunks of concrete 2-4 feet high. My car can do 80 km/h. Its not getting through concrete planters. Yes, a tank is bigger then a car. It still slows them down. Truthfully, if the national guard was sieging a building, they would use tanks firing gas and smoke rounds to bombard the building from the outside, while soldiers with NBC suits charged the building and pacified the defenders.

Listen, tanks have stupid firepower. Yes they have a big gun. Yes, that big gun is worthless against personnel. Tanks are easily disabled in an urban close quarters environment. Naval ships have lots of big guns that can be fired from miles away. Plus the whole cruise missile deal which can drop a building from tens of miles away.

Also, once the sieges hit the helicopter stage, C4 and incendiary bombs should be dropped on top of the safehouse, forcing a flee or die scenario that always ends in positive press and folk songs about the brave men who died in the massive fire. Not always of course, just enough to make it potentially worthwhile.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

Oksbad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 09, 2009, 10:06:11 am »

I know that tanks are not very effective in an urban environment, I am just wondering how to you take out (not stop) a tank in game? I mean I doubt the weapons we currently have in the game could take out a WWII era Sherman tank, let alone a modern one.
I always just found it peculiar that the police are always able to pin the crime on you 100 percent of the time. The fact that organized crime rings exist at all without being bombed to hell by the national guard is evidence enough that this is not strictly the case in reality.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 09, 2009, 10:11:03 am »

Time was, you could stop them with guitars and the Power of Love.

You can't really do that anymore.  Which is sad.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 09, 2009, 10:54:08 am »

I am so tempted to tell you to use spraypaint then sit back and watch the lulz...

but that would be conservative.  You can't take out tanks right now.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Rezan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 09, 2009, 11:19:29 am »

Uhm. You can take out tanks. It just takes freaking forever. I think I once took out a tank with a sword. Note; I had level 18 tactics, and thus the tank could not hit me.

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jonathansfox.com/
« Reply #28 on: March 09, 2009, 11:23:09 am »

I have not tested this, but fire-based attacks should be effective against tanks -- molotovs, flamethrowers, and unarmed flaming rabbits.

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 09, 2009, 11:27:46 am »

Time was, you could stop [tanks] with guitars and the Power of Love.

You can't really do that anymore.  Which is sad.
Thank you for the quote.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4