Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Under the Sea - no, not snorks! polders.  (Read 880 times)

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
Under the Sea - no, not snorks! polders.
« on: March 06, 2009, 02:17:13 am »

Opening a topic for a challenge fortress:
Artificially creating a situation in which bailing out rainwater (and maybe some river water) by mechanical means.
Windmill industry.

etc. will elaborate later. (some details in gen.dis>colliseum thread)
I'll also have to investigate how community fortresses work...

My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

SkunkNL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Under the Sea - no, not snorks! polders.
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2009, 12:38:43 pm »

i will keep my eye on this topic it sounds intresting

FOR THE LOWLANDERS!

magic dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2009, 08:21:27 pm »

Can't wait to start this succession game, should be quite entertaining

Aldaris

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIBERAL] [WANNABE_DORF] [CAVE_ADAPTED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2009, 11:23:52 pm »

VOOR BIER!!!

Okay, all dutch people, unite and practice our stereotypical skill of turning wet mud into dry mud!
but Baron Aqizzar had the firm advantage, battering Cthulhu with his Mighty Chin.
^Totally not out of context, promise.
The Liberal Crime Squad Community game, now with a Liberal Overdose of Liberally aplied Liberalism. -Liberally. (UBER-Hiatus, next update somewhere between now and 2012.)

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2009, 11:29:11 pm »

You'll need to fill me in on the rules/methods for a succession/community fortress,
I've checked the wiki and forums, but they are lacking in clearcut info.

-I retried with a nice location next to a stream, with dense woodlands and a 4layer deep aquifier...
Initial drawback was an unexpected unflat landscape.

-Unfortunately the map is populated with skelletal aligators.
So far my lumberjack/axeman has cracked his skull, lost his left hand.
The required mobbing led to many injuries and food is really low.
And the last aligator to chase my worksdwarves killed the recently married architect and another miner. (good thing actually as they both had lost various limbs!)
Most of my people have permanent spinal and brain damages by now and I fear a tantrum spiral is near.

I'll need to set to clog-coffin making next time I start up.
Or just look for another site to prepare.

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2009, 04:38:27 pm »

Actually deserted the aligator infested evil location and continued with the first seaside area.

The Fortress of Nuts.

I have set the fortress cap to 10 or so, so I have had only several small immirant influxes.
This is because I'd like to have a natural population growth.
All houses are basically dug from soillayers, except for some higher structures such as the mill and some defensive structures. I chose to have an open sky planning, but most rooms are clustered around a centrall courtyard or hallway as is the case in our communal halls.
A quarter of the land has been dug out, but it seems the ponds are not sufficient to overflow. :(

Food was scarce for a few months, as I forgot to produce enough barrels.
Right now the cattle are multiplying like cats and the farms are over productive.
Recently we acquired some seeds from home and started our industrial wheatmill to the north, beyond the channel. No wheat as yet, but we have started some offseason rocknut and pigtail. very usefull for those bags we'll be needin and also good for the chef, we were getting a bit bored by cow meat and plumphelmets.
The workers's hovels that were dug-out nearby are still unused: our small community cherishes the cosy communal hall cubicles.

So far several children have been born, the two first siblings almost drowned in a canal as I was recklessly
pumping it dry! Only one babe drowned, the second got away winded and traumatized.
Of late goblin snatchers have been raiding us with increased frequency too, so much so that all members now have mandatory training sessions with the lumberjack.

Recently two goblin simultaneous goblin ambushes got two killed, a major cull with these pop-settings!
One wrestler faced a whole goblin group isolated in the north, while retrieving wood, the four goblins killed gained him some notoriety. We will collect his bodyparts and inter him in a glass coffin.
The second ambush appeared in the middle of our towne! just north of the millworks, a child noticed them skulking. They were slaughtered by the mustering dwarves, but her father did not survive: in his martial trance he dispatched tree goblins singlehandedly, but eventually found his match in a goblin master axeman in iron mail and was exploded into his contituent parts. a second glass coffin is standing ready. His wife was happy in causing mayhem lately, but does not care about anything anymore... poor choildren.

A weakness has shown itself: our defenses are useless. The gobbos managed to cross the dry channel to the northern marches through the pumping mills we installed in an attempt to 'drain' them.
Some external walls are called for. as well as some traps and sentries.
our population is too small to afford a standing army, but maybe some judicious placement of cows tied to rope will suffice. Their lowing will alert us to approaching danger and allow time for grabbing some armour and weapons.

-get plans from the mountainhomes for cattle airlocks.
-build up defences.
-trade with the humans for metal.
-survive.

errata: actualy the surviving wife made the killings, her husband only died horribly. In total we lost 3 wrestlers including both our broker and manager and one child. In the chaos of the ambushes, the invaders made off with one of our babies as well.
Dire news. Our lands are infested with the greenskinned vermin!
Just after being notified of the kidnap, another snatcher was discovered and dispatched. 
« Last Edit: March 12, 2009, 05:44:17 pm by Areyar »