Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 14

Author Topic: DF MUD Development Thread  (Read 31765 times)

Tahin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
DF MUD Development Thread
« on: March 06, 2009, 02:42:54 am »

I'm currently working on a Dwarf Fortress-themed MUD using the Dead Souls LPMUD codebase. It's coming along nicely, though there have been a few hiccups here and there. The game is currently very much under development-- there are a few sample areas to run around and kill things in, but none of that is my creation nor is it anything like my vision of the final game. Most of the changes from stock Dead Souls are currently available only to creators. Feel free to ask me or any of the staff to show you around the "diggable" area.

Current staff includes:
*Tahin
*Zyll/Bluerobin427
*Eerr
*Archbaron

If you want to connect to check things out, either go to http://divineright.org:1049/cgi/connect.html and use the Java client, or download a decent MUD client and connect with the following info:

ADDRESS: divineright.org
PORT: 1050

The following MUD clients are recommended:
*MUSHclient
*KildClient
(If you have any you'd like to add, feel free to suggest them)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now, this game is to be, more or less, a multiplayer Dwarf Fortress Dwarf-mode. You will play a dwarf in a fortress. There will be no NPCs outside of various wildlife that can be hunted, and such, so the game will be entirely reliant on player-to-player interactions. Roleplaying will be enforced within in-character areas, but roleplaying a dwarf can be as simple or as complicated as you want it to be, so don't worry about not having amazing roleplaying skills.

The world will be completely modifiable within the limits of your character's abilities. If you want a bedroom, dig a hole in the wall, carve a door out of the leftover rock, and call it your own.

This is not a hack-and-slash MUD. There will be no quests outside of errands given to you by other players. There will be no fearsome monsters to slay except in very specific circumstances. The emphasis is to be on roleplaying your character.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The old thread is located HERE.
The Development Wiki is located at http://dfmud.wikidot.com.
Creweb and Java client are located at http://divineright.org:1049/
« Last Edit: May 20, 2009, 01:56:59 pm by Tahin »

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF MUD Development Thread
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2009, 03:35:14 am »

Please refrain from posting untill zyll creates a stub.
Edit:
For anyone who might try the game as-is, I reccomend the Mush client in Tahin's first post.

« Last Edit: March 07, 2009, 10:31:30 pm by eerr »

Mohreb el Yasim

• Bay Watcher
  • ♫♪♫♫♪♫♪♪♫♪
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2009, 04:45:19 am »

hi i would really like to watch on your MUD, but i don't have many ports opened on my network (a university network) do you know any online telnet client to use to connect or something like a proxy server?
i want to see how you done this MUD and maybe even help to develop it, if needed (and if i like it ...)
Mohreb el Yasim

GENERATION 24:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experime

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2009, 07:11:47 am »

I gotta say, MUD's aren't something I'm usually into, but this has piqued my interest.

The Java client doesn't seem to be working, but that might just be on my part.

woose1

• Bay Watcher
  • Yay for bandwagons!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2009, 11:46:22 am »

The Java client doesn't seem to be working, but that might just be on my part.
Error 404?

Ya, I got that too.

jplur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.parker-portfolio.com
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2009, 03:38:03 pm »

Hey, I love the concept of the fortress as more of a social game.  I imagine when you start a character you have no skills and try to get by on hauling tasks bringing materials to players who are skilled crafters.

Also I wanted to mention that a couple of years ago there was an LPmud based on Angband.  (website used to be www.pitsofangband.org) Somehow they managed to convert the room structure into an accurate ascii town/random dungeon system.  I'm assuming the rooms were in an array and when you 'looked' you were fed a representation of the local grid.  Just a thought, but I bet it would work with the z-level.
I ended up finding out you can speed up pregnancies by changing the mother to a cat to knock them up and changing back before labor

Tahin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2009, 03:55:34 pm »

I'd rather stick with a conventional MUD system. I've never played a roguelike MUD before, but it sounds overly complicated, at least on the code end. Maybe if rooms become too limiting I'll go ahead and try it, but right now I just want to get the barebones systems done so I can get a paid host and start the alpha.

Also, it would be nice if Zyll could post on the first page just so we have some place to post update, but I'm more in favor of having a wiki. Hell, I'll start one.

EDIT: Well, I've got a Wiki up at http://dfmud.wikidot.com. Same site as last time, as I rather liked that one. I have a short "tutorial" up on basic player commands, and a section for creators to post about projects they're working on, as well as some staff pages. We'll see how this works out.

Zyll and Eerr: I didn't notice it wouldn't let me include URLs in the invitation email, so once you've logged in, go to http://dfmud.wikidot.com/staff:your_name_here and create a simple staff page. It is important that you create them, as then you will be flagged as the page creator and thus able to edit them. You can use mine, http://dfmud.wikidot.com/staff:tahin as an example. You can also add pages to the creatordocs section from creatordocs:start. Use this to keep notes on projects you're working on. Hopefully this system works out for everyone.

EDIT: Sorry, just realized I put the wrong link to the Java client. I really suggest you don't use it, though, because it's pretty terrible. Better than Windows Telnet, though. Anyway, first post updated.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2009, 09:35:23 pm by Tahin »

qwertyuiopas

• Bay Watcher
  • Photoshop is for elves who cannot use MSPaint.
    • View Profile
    • uristqwerty.ca, my current (barren) site.
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2009, 03:14:08 pm »

Except thet there is something hardcore about pure ancient nearly useless telnet...

So telnet is actually BETTER(in terms of coolness) than the java client, but still worse off than any real client.
Eh?
Eh!

Katsuun

• Bay Watcher
  • [Loli_Weaboo]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2009, 03:15:11 pm »

Hm... this projects still going strong then?

Sorry I disappeared earlier, I had a gaming burn-out and gave up on DF, and as an extension, the MU.

I'm back now, so if possible, I would like to rejoin the project.
how would a Fortress based curse work?

Rocks fall, everyone dies.

Sans context.

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2009, 09:55:31 pm »

I'm currently working on a newbie helm , as well as developing new ideas.

is ac of 1 really high or really low?

Tahin ,please answer these questiongs for future refrence (to avoid digging up old code in the future)

about weight,
what can a dwarf carry max (does it increase?)
should weight determine most immobile items?

It appears we will not have any money.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2009, 04:14:27 am by eerr »

Tahin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2009, 10:22:20 pm »

I have no idea how AC works in this. I haven't really paid much attention to balance yet.

Weight:
Same thing. I believe carrying capacity is based on strength, but I have yet to dig into any of that code.
No item will be truly immobile because, well, it would be a little difficult to handle immobile items when everything is player crafted, though I guess a large, felled tree could possibly count until you cut it into smaller logs.

Value:
I'll probably avoid having actual money due to the fact that the system doesn't handle it particularly well and I also like the idea of having a pure barter system. I think that answers all of these questions.

In other news, Katsuun is interested in helping, and I've worked with him before. Two assistant creators is a bit much and three is really pushing it... Hm...
Eerr, Katsuun: Fight!

Though seriously, I think I might be able to make this work.

woose1

• Bay Watcher
  • Yay for bandwagons!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2009, 10:59:29 pm »

This is really confusing.
I have no idea how to get this to work....  :(

Tahin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2009, 11:54:25 pm »

Hm... Are you trying to use the java client? It's terrible. Do a Google search for MUD clients for your operating system, download one, and put in the address and port mentioned in the first post.

Poltifar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2009, 02:20:28 am »

Value:
I'll probably avoid having actual money due to the fact that the system doesn't handle it particularly well and I also like the idea of having a pure barter system. I think that answers all of these questions.

I agree with the pure barter system, but how about the ability to craft coins, that would be counted as items with weight and carried in the inventory, not a seperate group of stuff accessed with the 'money' command. That way, players can make their own economy eventually. Like, "Hmm, its annoying to keep trading four stones for a sword, so how about we say each stone is worth one of these copper coins i made with a picture of me on it, and so i give you 4 of them each time for a sword from now on?" or something like that.

Ofcourse, items would not have predetermined values. Neither would the coins. The players decide all that by themselves, maybe having one player the 'broker' that decides the prices and writes them somewhere, etc...

EDIT: ofcourse, maybe the currency in a certain fortress is some kind of gems instead of coins, or shiny copper sticks, or whatever... but whatever it is, there should be some way to make small and light items that have a high value because of their material's rarity or something like that (coins are only one possibility), that would be used to facilitate economic transactions if the players wish to use them for that.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2009, 02:23:42 am by Poltifar »
<@Poltifar> yeah i've played life for almost 23 years
<@Poltifar> i specced myself into a corner, i should just reroll
<@Akroma> eh
<@Akroma> just play the minigames until your subscription runs out

Hungry

• Bay Watcher
  • Former controller of Zombie Fenrir
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2009, 03:51:16 am »

Ah, Coinage.  Want some advice?

Economy based wealth value of coinage is a complex matter.  It levels out to using a base item as a means of standard where as the weight of said item is drasticly larger than that of your coinage hense the original purpose of coinage.  So make an item, say a stone pillow, that weighs, say 5 weight units, and your base coinage, only <1 weight unit, and have both items values be ~ (or equivelent).

Or you can induce a free will value system and probably have highly unfavorable market conditions or free items. Either way this is all just probable answers to coinage.

Bye, Bye!
Breccia isnt in DF, like garden slugs.
Cheese for the Cheese boat!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 14