Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 14

Author Topic: DF MUD Development Thread  (Read 31851 times)

Tahin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF MUD Development Thread
« Reply #30 on: March 12, 2009, 01:46:05 am »

Digging now works more or less. For some reason it's going straight from 0.00000 to 1.00000 in one heartbeat. Probably has something to do with my checks to prevent it from going over 1.0000... Hm. I'll probably figure it out in the next few minutes before I go to bed.

Zyll, Eerr? I'd like to get an idea of when you might be free to go over some stuff. It could, of course, be handled via the forum, but when it comes to having everyone meet each other and perhaps debating a few issues, I'd prefer to have it real time at the very least.

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 12, 2009, 01:59:13 pm »

If i experiment by digging, will you have any problem cleaning it up in the future?

also, its very hard to tell the diffrencebetween most rooms,
would some random descriptions of a hollow cave suffice?
« Last Edit: March 12, 2009, 02:05:58 pm by eerr »

Tahin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 12, 2009, 05:01:47 pm »

Go ahead and make as many rooms as you want in the diggable area. I can wipe it in a single command, any way.

And seriously, it's not supposed to be particularly navigable. Right now it's just for testing the basic digging system.

Based on talking to you, I take it you don't have any particular time this "meeting" would need to be at, so....

Zyll? You alive? I'll shoot you an email, or something.

Oh, and sorry, Eerr if you just got kicked off. My connection kind of crapped out.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2009, 05:04:34 pm by Tahin »

Bluerobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 12, 2009, 07:09:56 pm »

All right, I have no real preference for times.  Saturday or Sunday work better than Friday (if you were counting Friday as part of the weekend) but other than that, I don't have any plans that have times I need to work around.  If no one cares we can do either Saturday at 1pm or 8pm (just for the sake of picking times... I really don't care).  I WOULD prefer to talk in game, simply because it's what I have easy access to.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2009, 08:03:13 pm by Bluerobin427 »
The moment the lever was pulled, somebody's pet kitten stepped onto the bridge. I read somewhere that if a cat falls more than 11 stories, it instinctively flares its legs out to increase air resistance. This slows it down enough to stick the landing with relatively minor injuries. In Dwarf Fortress, apparently, cats don't do that.

Tahin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 12, 2009, 08:12:11 pm »

How's Saturday evening at 6 o'clock California time, then? Is that something we could all agree on?

Bluerobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 12, 2009, 11:45:03 pm »

I'm good with that.
The moment the lever was pulled, somebody's pet kitten stepped onto the bridge. I read somewhere that if a cat falls more than 11 stories, it instinctively flares its legs out to increase air resistance. This slows it down enough to stick the landing with relatively minor injuries. In Dwarf Fortress, apparently, cats don't do that.

Tahin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 12, 2009, 11:59:51 pm »

Well, in case anyone's interested, the weird bug I was running into with digging was caused by a stupid mistake. Here's what happened:

Originally I had a function that looked something like this:
Code: [Select]
if(exit_progress >= 1)
    OpenExit(exit);

which worked fine. Logically, however, it turned into:

if(exit_progress >= 1)
    DoStuff();
    OpenExit();

Which of course resulted in it only doing stuff if exit_progress is greater than or equal to 1, but always calling OpenExit() regardless of how far along the exit's progress actually was.
So as not to confuse those not familiar with C syntax, the proper code would look like:

if(exit_progress >= 1) {
    DoStuff();
    OpenExit();
}

Yes, the lack of brackets took me a full day to figure out. I am truly a terrible programmer.
So, anyway, digging is working now. It's a little weird, but I'll figure that out later. The next issue is figuring out how doors might work, given the dynamic nature of the world we're creating.

Also, does anyone have anything to say about ramp-style exits (as mentioned in an earlier post)? If no one complains and/or suggests a better alternative, they're going in. Honestly, the only issue I foresee is with the descriptions... I mean, would it be "A hole opens up in the northup wall" or "A hole opens up in the north wall" (which could be confusing) or "A hole leading up opens up in the north wall"? All of those seem a little clunky to me, though I guess I'll figure it out.

Katsuun

• Bay Watcher
  • [Loli_Weaboo]
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 13, 2009, 07:17:43 am »

Thats 9 eastern right? I should be able to make it then.
how would a Fortress based curse work?

Rocks fall, everyone dies.

Sans context.

qwertyuiopas

• Bay Watcher
  • Photoshop is for elves who cannot use MSPaint.
    • View Profile
    • uristqwerty.ca, my current (barren) site.
« Reply #38 on: March 13, 2009, 09:02:09 am »

Well, if the doors were on the north and west walls, and the south and east ones would check the state of the door on the matching wall in the matching room...
Eh?
Eh!

Bluerobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 13, 2009, 01:33:02 pm »

All right I've got a crafting system wiki page up.  If you're a creator and want to test it out you should be able to copy the craft command I put up into your cmds folder and use it.  (copy the script into craft.c, stick that in your cmds file, then type something like "craft iron sword") So far I've only implemented crafted swords, but the types of items will expand fairly soon.

Also, 6pm cali time = 9pm EST (you're right Katsuun).

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 13, 2009, 04:43:56 pm »

Hehe its always the most obvious things that get missed when programming, I was using some regular expressions recently and I really need to read up on them again :-\.

Also, does anyone have anything to say about ramp-style exits (as mentioned in an earlier post)? If no one complains and/or suggests a better alternative, they're going in. Honestly, the only issue I foresee is with the descriptions... I mean, would it be "A hole opens up in the northup wall" or "A hole opens up in the north wall" (which could be confusing) or "A hole leading up opens up in the north wall"? All of those seem a little clunky to me, though I guess I'll figure it out.

I have some ideas on this front.

A Downward ramp leads to the North.
A Upward ramp leads to the South-West.
Or
A Downward ramp lies to the North.
A Upward ramp lies to the South-West.

One problem when it comes to descriptions like this however is that natural outdoor ramps aren't called ramps, its slopes or hills etc, if you could have separate descriptions for natural ramps standing on a hill might look like this:

The land slopes Upward to the North.
The land slopes Downward to the South.
Or
The land slopes Upward above you to the North.
The land slopes Downward away from you to the South.

Adding descriptions for the type of ramp might work however.
A carved mica Downward ramp lies to the North.
A grassy Downward ramp lies to the North.
But that seems a little long winded, not much experience with MU* games though.

What you were saying about 'nu','sed' etc sound fine.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

Tahin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 13, 2009, 04:53:04 pm »

That all sounds pretty good, actually. It should be easy enough to have outdoor rooms call them slopes and indoor rooms calling them ramps. I'll probably end up having relatively detailed descriptions of each exit, for instance

"To the north an upward ramp leads into a wide hallway."
or
"A stairway winds downward into a large room."
or
"Bright light shines in from an upward ramp to the east."

Poltifar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 14, 2009, 01:17:27 am »

Out of curiosity, about how big would a single room in the MUD be compared to DF tile size? Are all rooms a set size, say, equivalent to 5x5 tiles in DF, or can they be different sizes? And if they can only be a set size, is it possible to connect many rooms to make a bigger room? (i dont mean digging doors to the other rooms to connect them, but completely remove the walls to have large chambers or halls or something)
<@Poltifar> yeah i've played life for almost 23 years
<@Poltifar> i specced myself into a corner, i should just reroll
<@Akroma> eh
<@Akroma> just play the minigames until your subscription runs out

Tahin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 14, 2009, 03:40:10 am »

That's an issue I have yet to find a satisfactory answer for.
As it stands, rooms are very abstract things that can be any size but will always line up perfectly, suggesting that there's a massive amount of rock between tiny bedrooms, which doesn't sit well with me. However, I can't think of a decent way to handle it, so it's just going to be abstracted for now.

I have been considering having a concept of "wide" exits that effectively connect two or more rooms, transmitting certain messages between them. It might be a bit radical of an idea, though, and probably a bitch to code properly.

The simple answer is thus:
Rooms are abstract. A room can be "mined" which will increase its size value, thus changing its description. This size doesn't effect anything gameplay-wise, other than the hard limit at which you can no longer mine a room. I can't think of anything that wouldn't be annoying to prevent people from mining out their rooms, thus giving them uncharacteristically large bedrooms, though I assume that people will want to keep their bedrooms to a minimum size simply for the sake of roleplaying.

In a similar vein, right now I'm working on revamping some of the room code so it can be more easily expanded, and running into all kinds of fun syntax errors, so if anyone can't get something to load, that's why.

Poltifar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 14, 2009, 06:27:42 am »

Ah, ok. But eventually there should probably have some kind of way to not have all rooms equally sized...

Also, how do you plan on handling exterior constructions? Like a lumberjack's cottage in the woods? Would it be a new room inside an 'outside' room, or would the 'outside' room become the cottage itself? As in, if the cottage is north from our current location, if we move 'north', are we instantly in the cottage, or are we in a room with description "You stand in the woods. There is a cottage here (Direction: in)"?

I can't think of anything that wouldn't be annoying to prevent people from mining out their rooms, thus giving them uncharacteristically large bedrooms, though I assume that people will want to keep their bedrooms to a minimum size simply for the sake of roleplaying.

How about, the bigger the room, the more supports have to be added to keep it from collapsing? That way, we can make it a bit harder to make super-huge rooms, and it would need cooperation from many players if it has to be built in a decent amount of time. That way, only important rooms like main storage rooms and the main dining room would be made so big, atleast in the beginning.
<@Poltifar> yeah i've played life for almost 23 years
<@Poltifar> i specced myself into a corner, i should just reroll
<@Akroma> eh
<@Akroma> just play the minigames until your subscription runs out
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 14