Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Mineral Modding, now with more power!  (Read 1321 times)

deej

• Bay Watcher
  • Beeswax!
    • View Profile
    • Showoff Site
Mineral Modding, now with more power!
« on: March 03, 2009, 05:26:30 pm »

So I've joined the land of crazy DF modders...

I'm working on a couple different things, but I've got peat as a mineable mineral that appears in soil layers (specific ones where the layer is a type of peat area).  It can be converted into coke at a smelter with no fuel cost at a 1 "ore" unit into 1 coke conversion.  I don't think it's game breaking since it's not really any better fuel than wood and it's non-renewable.

Once the tweaks are done, I'll post it.

For now I was wondering if anyone's done this already (I didn't find anything with my searches, but I'd rather not step on toes) and I was wondering what folks think of the idea.

-Deej

Sinergistic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Mineral Modding, now with more power!
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2009, 08:21:49 pm »

but I'd rather not step on toes

This community is pretty open about stuff like this, unless you're blatantly ripping something off. In fact, the only place people really get 'hostile' is in the suggestion forum when some nublet comes along with his awesome idea, only to find out he is the umptenth person to post it.

I dunno anything about peat, or how realistic turning it into coke is, but I was under the impression that it was impossible to mine anything from a soil layer? Or maybe that was just the soil layer itself, and things contained inside can be mined. (I *think* I've seen aluminum or platinum inside a soil layer)

deej

• Bay Watcher
  • Beeswax!
    • View Profile
    • Showoff Site
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2009, 08:29:54 pm »

Realism of turning peat into coke == not realistic, but coke is one unit of fuel and dried peat is used as fuel, so in DF terms I think it works out fairly well.  I may make it take multiple units of peat to make one unit of fuel, but using 1 wood = 1 fuel unit as a base, 1 peat = 1 fuel seems okay.

I've already implemented clusters of peat in soil layers, it actually works quite well.  The only issue is that digging through them takes the time it takes to dig stone rather than soil, but I think that's fair given you're getting something out of them.  The side effect is that if you turn off the economic exclusion for peat, you can build out of it like any stone.

Working on this, I'm realizing that the frequency modifier for clusters isn't a linear scale, as in 50 seems to make clusters about 3/4 the size of 100.

Arvidsem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2009, 10:55:22 am »

Some quick googling, link, says that peat has a lower energy density than coal or wood. Not tremendously lower however. I think that 2 units of peat should probably make one unit of coke at a normal smelter.

Wood = ~15.5 MJ/kg (I'm assuming that dwarves let their wood dry)
Bituminous Coal = 23.9 MJ/kg
Peat = 14.6 MJ/kg
« Last Edit: March 04, 2009, 10:58:15 am by Arvidsem »

deej

• Bay Watcher
  • Beeswax!
    • View Profile
    • Showoff Site
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2009, 01:39:36 pm »

I'm getting pretty close to posting my modifications, but noticed some odd things I thought I'd see if anyone else had noticed and knew if there was a workaround.

I've added stone clusters that show up in soil, but are also tagged soil in order to reduce the appearance of peat and bog iron, but when mined they take the amount of time stone takes, rather than that of soil.  They don't leave any rock, as soil shouldn't, so apparently the game sees clusters as rock, no matter if they have the [SOIL] tag.

Anyone know a way to make clusters mine at the soil rate?

Maggarg - Eater of chicke

• Bay Watcher
  • His Maleficent Magnificence of Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2009, 02:34:46 pm »

Personally I think we need a mod that lets me burn corpses and all kinds of stuff.
Make those nobles truly useful.

Bog iron, eh? Interesting stuff, is your (un)common bog iron.
I like the sound of this.
...I keep searching for my family's raw files, for modding them.