Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 20

Author Topic: RTD - Rookie Arena, Epilogue and poll.  (Read 17308 times)

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
RTD - Rookie Arena, Epilogue and poll.
« on: March 07, 2009, 11:17:27 am »

There hasn’t been a chaotically random PvP style standard RTD in a while. It is time to fix that. Rules are:

Quote from: RTD Standard 1.1 ruleset:
The GM (Game Master) posts a situation you, the players, are in. You then post your actions, exactly one action per turn. Once all players have made their actions, the GM posts again, with the results of the actions and the state of the world around you. After which you post actions again, ad infinitum.

The action results are defined by a six-sided die roll:
[1]: Epic Fail. Whatever you tried to achieve, you didn't, and you made it worse.
[2]: Fail. You didn't, or couldn't do what you tried to.
[3]: Meager success: You didn't fail, but you didn't succeed either. Like trying to sit on two chairs but ending up on one.
[4]: Success: You succeeded in your plight. All consequences are now your problem.
[5]: Epic Success: You succeed in the most positive way possible. The universe will bend to your will.
[6]: Overshot: You achieved what you tried to achieve, but you made it worse by doing so in the most inhumanely overpowerful way possible. Casualties are inevitable.

In addition, if at any time something threatens you, you get a free roll to dodge it. If you end up in a very bad situation as a result of the first dodge roll, you may or may not get another free roll to narrowly escape death.

Quote from: RTD Extended 1.6 ruleset:
Swarm rules: Each successive dodge roll during a turn, unless it is a dodge against the same object or character, will get a -1 bonus.

Status rules:
If you are Stunned, Dazed, or otherwise receive a temporary penalty to overall or individual rolls, this penalty lasts until your next action is resolved, and not through the whole turn.
If you receive a long-term effect that has the potential to alter itself, you get an Effect Resistance roll immediately after your action is resolved to determine the spread and consequences of the effect.
If you are Unconscious, whatever penalty you receive will not reduce your roll score below 2, unless stated otherwise.
If you receive a mortal wound but are not killed outright, you need to pass a roll to avoid death at the end of every turn.

Combo rules:
You can spend your turn to help another player achieve his goal. If your roll is higher, it is taken as the success roll for the action.
You can also spend your turn to botch another player's action. If your roll is higher, its opposite is taken as the success roll for the action.
In both cases, individual player rolls determine what happens to the players in the course of the action.

Action rules:
Some actions may be considered "free", depending on the circumstance, and not require a roll.
As such, these actions can be paired with normal actions without penalty.

Quote from: RTD Enhanced Wound System:
Wounds follow a hierarchical structure:
Unharmed
Bruised
Slightly Wounded
Wounded (-1 to rolls)
Severely Wounded (-2 to rolls)
Mortally Wounded (-2 to rolls, condition deteriorates rapidly)
Dead

In addition, a player may be lightly bleeding, moderately bleeding, or heavily bleeding.

At the end of each turn, including the turn when the player was wounded, a roll is made to see if the player’s condition improves, stays the same, or deteriorates.
A 6 improves the condition one level, and reduces bleeding by one level. Bruises may clear up on their own in two turns.
If the player is mortally wounded or bleeding, a 1 will kill him/her.
For each level of bleeding, the condition may deteriorate at +1. Mortal wounds add +2.:
Lightly bleeding: 1 will worsen the condition
Moderately bleeding: 1 or 2 will worsen the condition
Heavily bleeding: 1-3 will worsen the condition.
Lightly bleeding while mortally wounded: 1-3 will worsen the condition.
Heavily bleeding while mortally wounded: Any roll other then 6 will be fatal.

One wound may cause more then one level of damage, and/or bleeding at the GM’s interpretation of both the situation and the die roll.

Quote from: RTD Experience System level 2.3:
Any time an action succeeds, exp may be given, with 1 exp on a (3), (4), or (6), and 2 exp for a (5). A level resets exp to zero. A turn may be used to just learn something, which gives +1 exp, at the cost of not doing anything else on a successful roll. A 1 or 6 failure will still hurt, but failures will give exp.

Levels are as follows:
Dabbling: 0/2 exp – Rolls may succeed on a (3).
No adjective: 0/4 exp – +1 to all actions using this task
Competent: 0/6 exp – Tasks may be done well (+1 to roll, default) or carefully(-1 to roll if it is above 3, 1 is less deadly).
Skilled: 0/8 exp – Tasks may be done skillfully (Negates up to 2 values of bonuses or penalties not in the player's favor).
Legendary: 0/12 exp – Tasks may be done perfectly (+1 on rolls, new default, negates up to 2 values of bonuses or penalties not in the player's favor).

Actions use the default modifier if the player doesn’t specifically state that they are doing them {well, carefully, skillfully, or perfectly}.

Additional rule: Permadeath is in effect. No ghosts or resurrections.

Six player slots are available. There may or may not be a round 2. Strange, unheard of rule: For the first 24 hours, sign-ups are limited to people NOT currently in any other RTD or RTD-esque game, even in the waiting queue. It’s time to give the rookie RTD players a chance to have some random fun. I’ll not be background checking, but if somebody else points out that you were in another RTD, they’ll get your character.

No waiting queue exists. Characters that don’t post their turn daily shall go insane.

1- Digital - Set 2
2- Wehtamjd92 - Set 6
3- Lear - Set 3
4- Dragooble - Set 5
5- Shoruke - Set 1
6- Errol - Set 4

The situation: You were a serf, happily working lands for your lord. Foreigners came, razed everything in the local area, killed your lord, and enslaved all the serfs. After a perfectly boring voyage by sea, six of you were brought to a big coliseum. An important-looking man tells you that the one who survives the coming battle will be free, and 50 gold coins richer.

He has 6 equipment sets, and lets you each choose one:
1- Staff, cloth robes, 2 healing herbs (+1 to magic rolls)
2- Staff, leather armor, buckler (+1 to magic rolls, +1 to dodge rolls)
3- Short Sword, buckler, leather armor (+1 to hit rolls, +1 to dodge rolls)
4- Flail, kite shield, studded leather armor (+1 to damage rolls, +1 to toughness rolls)
5- Short bow, dagger, leather armor, 30 arrows in a quiver, healing herb (Ranged attack, +1 to dodge rolls, +1 to damage rolls with the bow)
6- Two-handed War Hammer, leather armor (+1 to hit rolls, +2 to damage rolls)

After picking, each of you are pushed into the arena, arrayed in a circle around the center, 10 meters apart. There is a big cheering crowd, two heavy-looking metal gates, and several guards armed with repeater crossbows.

Please post your starting equipment set, and first action. There is only one of each set of equipment, first come, first served.

« Last Edit: April 22, 2009, 05:56:03 pm by Nirur Torir »

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: RTD - Rookie Arena, with vacancies.
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2009, 11:44:50 am »

I'm not in any RTD right now.
Actually, I have been in two RTD's, but neither made it through 3rd page. (I have been cursed, every RTD I join dies quickly. Haha.)
So I'm in, and with set 2.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

wehtamjd92

• Bay Watcher
  • Gorram reavers.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2009, 11:57:23 am »

I'm in I'll take set number six.

My first action beat the guy with set number 2 upside the head with my hammer.
It takes someone special to put the laughter back in slaughter.

What did you all go and order a dead guy for?

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2009, 11:58:38 am »

Alright, I guess people from abandoned RTDs may enter. I don't intend to abandon this. Hopefully it will end by somebody coating everything in lava, or some other happy ending.

wehtamjd92

• Bay Watcher
  • Gorram reavers.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2009, 12:03:55 pm »

Well I play other always in the hope some major event will catch my eye so I can put it on a later level in mine.
It takes someone special to put the laughter back in slaughter.

What did you all go and order a dead guy for?

Lear

• Bay Watcher
  • IRO-Bot will never die.
    • View Profile
    • the-crowing-is-near on deviantArt.
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2009, 12:55:24 pm »

I would like to join. Set three for me please.
EDIT: I practice a few slashing techniques.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2009, 01:23:16 pm by Lear »
Those were the days, The End Complete.
deviantART - My artworks, let me show you them!

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2009, 01:13:38 pm »

Please post your starting equipment set, and first action. There is only one of each set of equipment, first come, first served.

Failure to post a first action may have amusing results.

Dragooble

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2009, 05:59:41 pm »

i'll join! i pick set 5. im surprised no one picked it with bows being overpowered and all. i shoot digital.
A creature the size of europe can occupy only one tile.

Shoruke

• Bay Watcher
  • There's a Prinny in Fire Emblem, dood!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2009, 06:13:15 pm »

I'll take set #1, and meditate in an attempt to improve my magic's awesomeness.

(hopefully I'm allowed in this game even though I'm in rise of civilizations... but I think since Rise of Civs isn't in the RTD forum it shouldn't count  :P)
The Unforgotten Beast, Shoruke, has come! A pale-skinned human. It has heterochromatic eyes and moves in an unpredictable manner. Beware its rapier wit!

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2009, 06:21:08 pm »

Well, I was hoping to get in a turn tonight, so I guess you're in if nobody else shows up before I decide to do the turn.

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2009, 03:02:38 am »

Ah, I'll protect myself with magic then. (I'm so gonna die...)
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

Errol

• Bay Watcher
  • Heaven or Hell, Duel 1 -- Let's Rock!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2009, 04:52:52 am »

If noone else appears, I'm in, taking the last remaining set/set 4. (I'm in Dwarven Race waiting queue, nothing else...)

In case I'm managing to get in, I cautiously approach the closest player, preferably digital, dragoobie or shoruke, intending to bash him with my flail.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2009, 04:56:26 am by Errol »
Girls are currently preparing signature, please wait warmly until it is ready.

Kel the Oblivious

• Bay Watcher
  • A Vile Force of Dorkness has Arrived!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2009, 05:28:03 am »

Oops, never mind, ignore me!
To err is to man, as to kill your entire population because you forgot a single stone block in your incredibly amazing steam aquaduct system is to dwarf

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: RTD - Rookie Arena, turn 1
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2009, 07:32:45 am »

Turn 1's here. Despite various people being in RTDs or RTD-like forum games, I'll go ahead and start, since it's taking longer then I expected to fill. For anyone who doesn't know, hover your mouse over the "|" to find your roll.

Weht - | Weht charges at digital, and swings his mighty hammer at him. | Digital is caught completely by surprise, | but Weht swings weakly and only bruises him.
Spoiler: Status (click to show/hide)

Lear – | Lear swings his sword a bit, and drops his sword on his foot. | He doesn’t really notice the pain.

Dragooble – | Dragooble tries to shoot at Digital, but his aim is off.

Shoruke – | Shoruke meditates. He feels more focused. (+1 to casting a spell next turn)

Digital – | Digital focuses. With a wave of his staff and a few magic words, a shield of blue light envelops him.

Errol – | Errol charges at Shoruke, but trips and falls. | He swiftly gets back up again, not even slightly dusty from the fall.

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: RTD - Rookie Arena, turn 2
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2009, 08:26:12 am »

Whew, that was lucky.
Okay, Weht, now you're gonna pay.

I attack Weht with my magic.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 20