Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

Author Topic: Person name suggestions  (Read 7558 times)

LASD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Person name suggestions
« Reply #30 on: March 11, 2009, 12:25:15 pm »

Would adding Urist be too stupid an inside joke?

It would be unisex definitely and quite funny maybe.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2009, 02:13:09 pm by LASD »

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 11, 2009, 04:09:03 pm »

First name
Urist

Last name
McUrist
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

Kanil

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:PILLAR:kanil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 12, 2009, 02:24:49 pm »

Did you want "Steiner" as a last name, to go with those? :D

Oh well, put me down for requesting that.

I was not thinking of that at the time of my suggestion...

but yes!!
Yah, it sounds like minecraft with content, you have obviously missed the point, people dont like content, they like different coloured blocks.
Seems to work fine with my copy. As soon as I loaded the human caravan came by and the world burst into fire.

Fieari

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 12, 2009, 07:37:16 pm »

Would the 1990 census list of names help?  It's split by male and female.  A regex could easily strip the other information off the list, and if you're just populating a list, might as well make it a big list, right?

Gimmick Account

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 13, 2009, 12:03:16 am »

Would the 1990 census list of names help?  It's split by male and female.  A regex could easily strip the other information off the list, and if you're just populating a list, might as well make it a big list, right?

Damn, that's a good find! But I wonder how much a replacement of the current namelist with the one on that website would bloat the program. Liberal Crime Squad would probably double in size, hehe.

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jonathansfox.com/
« Reply #35 on: March 13, 2009, 12:43:00 am »

I'd actually considered using regex to harvest the top 500 names (male, female, and family) in the US, as I've run across those lists before, only sorted by frequency instead of letter. However, the problem is that regex can only strip down the formatting and rebuild a static list; it won't enumerate cases for me to insert the text into a switch statement. I could hack it by building an enumeration or using preprocessor defines, but ultimately the superior solution would be to code up a quick program to process the lists.

Upon second review, actually, the raw lists are already enumerated; this means I *could* build a switch statement with regular expressions. I'll have to think about it after I'm done with classwork.

The main thing preventing me from doing such ambitious things with harvesting names in the past was the question: Who really cares? It's the name generator for a game. It doesn't have to be sweetsauce. Building an awesome name generator is way geeky. If I was really into it, I'd harvest the lists and build a search tree based on the cumulative probabilities listed in the raw files; then generating a random floating point number between 0 and 100 would generate a name with accurate probability to the name's frequency.

Yanlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary comedian.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 13, 2009, 04:06:52 am »

I have a name for you.

First name: Captain

Last name: Ironblood
WE NEED A SLOGAN!

Minstrel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 16, 2009, 06:31:41 am »

Here, have some ultra Polish names and surnames:

Male Names:
Mscislav
Ziemowit
Bozhydar
Ireneush
Mieshko

Female Names:
Grazhyna
Danuta

Surnames:
Kowalski
Malinovski
Pilsudski
Krayevski
Sienkiewitsch
Wozniak
Wysotski
Krupa
Kopec
Skiba
Dusek
Sikora
Rybitski
Dabrovski
Mazurek
Novak
Wisnievski
Wojcik
Kowalczyk
Kaminski
Lewandovski
Zajac

praguepride

• Bay Watcher
  • DF is serious business!
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 17, 2009, 03:53:13 pm »

Let's go with Russian names now!

Male First Names
Dimitri
Dmitri
Petrov
Yuri
Krikor
Dante
Vladamir

Female First Names
Yulia
Helga
Natasha

Can't talk any longer, gotta run!
Man, dwarves are such a**holes!

Even automatic genocide would be a better approach

Gimmick Account

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 17, 2009, 05:00:25 pm »

Let's go with Russian names now!

Male First Names
Dimitri
Dmitri
Petrov
Yuri
Krikor
Dante
Vladamir

Female First Names
Yulia
Helga
Natasha

Can't talk any longer, gotta run!

'gotta run'? If you're in such a hurry, maybe you should've refrained from posting for a few hours until things calmed down on your end? There's still plenty of time until the next release sees the light of day. See, your list really does look like it's been thrown together by someone who has only five minutes left to meet a deadline.

'Petrov' is a surname (as is everything Russian with an '-ov' suffix). What you might be looking for is 'Pyotr'.
'Vladamir' should instead be anglicized as 'Vladimir'.
'Krikor' sounds more Armenian than Russian. 'Grigorii' is the proper form.
Having both 'Dimitri' and 'Dmitri' instead of an additional 'unique' Russian name (Ilja? Evgeny? There are so many, just put a little effort into it) is probably a bit too much until name rarity is implemented; but that, like everything else, is Jonathan's call.
And I have never in my entire life met a Russian who went by the name of 'Dante'.

Yeah, sorry for being such a tight-ass here, but I happen to speak Russian, and several of the latter posts in this thread seem to scream 'I wanna be in on this, too!' more than anything.

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jonathansfox.com/
« Reply #40 on: March 17, 2009, 07:18:11 pm »

I don't mind the bandwagon so much, but I might end up taking only a selection from some of the submissions so as to avoid slanting the ethnic distribution in strange ways.

A bit of trivia. Read this list of first names and try to figure out who these people are before the end:

Maurice, Johnny, Joseph, Dennis, William, Christopher, John, Michael, Willard, Ronald, Freddie, Duncan, Rudolph, Barack, and Hillary.

Spoiler: The answer (click to show/hide)

S_Verner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 19, 2009, 03:40:13 am »

Case
Malcolm
Johan
Matteo
Mikhail

Christian

Cassandra
Every fake "ethnic" K name.

Gibson
Fulbright
Wells
Verner
Harbright
Combat has been...  improved.

Oh God No!

Oh God YES

praguepride

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 19, 2009, 06:43:20 am »

'gotta run'? If you're in such a hurry, maybe you should've refrained from posting for a few hours until things calmed down on your end? There's still plenty of time until the next release sees the light of day. See, your list really does look like it's been thrown together by someone who has only five minutes left to meet a deadline.

A name's a name, right? And I seriously was typing that while standing up and wearing my coat before dashing out the door.

I know a kids named Tage, Taliesan, and Kazimar, you can pretty much make up anything and it's name.

A friend of mine was doing medical research in Zambia and came across a few unusual names.

Nipples (a young girl)
Biomedical Research (some guys first and middle name)
Tuberculosis (another guys first name).

Locals heard the English words being thrown around and thought they sounded unique and exotic without actually knowing what they meant (in English) so they named them after what they picked up from missionaries/volunteers etc. etc.

Khlor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 19, 2009, 07:04:43 am »

Continuing the topic of Russian names:

Helga isn't a Russian name. Natasha is the diminutive form of the name Nataliya. Do you need separate diminutives?

This list includes only the names that are not too similar to their English equivalent (for example, Eduard will quickly change into Edvard, so I didn't include it). It also includes some Ukrainian names.

Male names:

Ivan
Roman
Yuriy
Evgeniy
Anatoliy
Aleksey
Pavel
Svyatoslav
Yaroslav
Rostislav
Fyodor
Igor
Oleg
Valentin
Sergey
Boris
Nikolay
Konstantin
Vyacheslav
Denis
Ostap
Bogdan
Vasiliy
Anton
Semyon
Nikita
Taras

Female names

Alexandra
Yevgeniya
Valentina
Olga
Irina
Mariya
Marina
Rita
Vera
Oksana
Kseniya
Katerina
Lyudmila
Inga
Lesya
Nadezhda
Larisa
Alina
Svetlana
Elizaveta
Regina
Elena

Surnames. Most Russian surnames are gender-specific (e.g. Petrov- male, Petrova - female). Here I list only unisex surnames.

Litvin
Kavun
Zloba
Vovk
Ryzhyk
Dub
Gora
Chernenko
Pavlenko
Stetsenko
Gerasimenko
Moskalenko
Prypalyuk
Demiyk
Tarasyuk
Vozhzha
Rybak
Maksimenko
Shevchenko
Kovalenko
Pysarenko
Klimenko
Kanyuk
Lyaschuk
Vaschuk
Marchuk
Talan
Rezun
Globa
Zhyharenko
Vyshar
Babich
Babiy
Balaban
Balabay
Novykh
Sedykh
Starykh
Belykh
Belyak
Storchko
Kazhan
Simonenko
Timoshenko
Yatsenyuk
Zorich
Musich
Musiychuk
Opanasenko
Drogich
Zvarich
Korobko
Vilenko
Rudenko
Galich
Volnysh
Zozulya
Teterya
Beryoza
Loza
Zolotykh

praguepride

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 19, 2009, 11:23:14 am »

Nice list! I knew Helga wasn't Russian but I couldn't think of the russian sounding names that ended in -ga and that's the only thing that popped into my mind.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6