Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: It's easy to create MMORPGs. I can show you how...  (Read 2172 times)

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
It's easy to create MMORPGs. I can show you how...
« on: March 07, 2009, 05:28:46 pm »

I got several MMORPG game engines. Sadly, I can't use them. I don't have a commerical webhost. If you however do have a commerical webhost, I can run the MMORPG game engine. Here's the engines I know how to use:

1) DragonKnight: Play as a lone adventurer, going across a wasteland, exploring cities, finding mysterious locations, killing monsters, and buying loot.
2) Quantum Space: Play as a trader/miner as you fly around mining for stuff and building space colonies. Economic simulator.
3) Frost and Flame: Run a warband in one of three differnet time eras, the Past, the Present, and the Future. Gamble in the stock market, invade other warbands, or get your Spies ready to cast some spells. Join up with military Alliances and try to take over the world. Victory in the past easily affect eras that occur in the future.

I am trying to think of other engines that I know how to use. But yeah, I am good at finding engines. But without a commerical webhost to host an MMORPG, what's the point? Hopefully, by making this post, somebody will find a commerical webhost, but...
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
Re: It's easy to create MMORPGs. I can show you how...
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2009, 05:47:32 pm »

I know this'll sound stupid, but have you thought of going to an actual commercial webhost?  I had an idea for a slightly more technical MMO; my plan was to develop the engine in house, then present it to a company like NCSoft to license and host.  NCSoft in particular seems to specialize in this sort of thing - just look at games like Exteel.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2009, 06:05:50 pm »

* Servant Corps sighs.

An actual commerical webhost cost money. Which I am not willing to risk (sounds stupid, but that's me, I don't like wasting money). Plus, you need to generate money via the MMORPG game in order to pay for webhosting...and who's going to pay to play a game? Well, some people people, but...

And, I don't own any of the engines in question. These engines are free. I just find them using Google and know how they work by using some webhosts for testing purposes. These engines are very trivial stuff, I'm sure most PHP fanatics can create them out of whole cloth.
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2009, 07:50:49 pm »

would these work for a homebrew setup and very small unmoderated traffic?

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2009, 08:02:15 pm »

I think so. Does your setup allow for the upload of PHP?

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2009, 03:11:59 pm »

eerr?

Nilocy

• Bay Watcher
  • Queen of a Community.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2009, 07:43:36 pm »

You can always host through advert income? *just ask some randoms to click on the adverts ever now and then :D*

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2009, 08:04:18 pm »

Asking people to click on the adverts is against the TOS of most advert companies. They may use it as an excuse not to pay, you know.

More to the point, you need to pay money upfront, and hope the ad revuene will pay for the webhosting, and I'm not exactly a risk-taking guy.

Nilocy

• Bay Watcher
  • Queen of a Community.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2009, 09:17:03 pm »

Nothing dared nothing ventured.

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2009, 01:14:24 pm »

I've never setup anything in my life(my quake servers failed badly on my home computer), but it's always an idea to consider. Also, It's good to know I can sound like I know what I'm doing momentarily, If I describe what other smarter people do in third person. Tahin created a setup for the DF MUD we're working on, accessible online from his computer.

truth is, I would like to host a few online Nox games. but westwood online's been down forever.
That leaves only network games.

SolarShado

• Bay Watcher
  • Psi-Blade => Your Back
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2009, 01:28:03 pm »

If you want/need an HTTP server, it's not too hard to set up apache. I've done it a couple of times.
Avid (rabid?) Linux user. Preferred flavor: Arch

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2009, 02:54:36 pm »

Don't you have to stay connected so that people can join up with the HTTP server?

Oh, and how do you set up an HTTP server? I tried using Apache before (when using the DimensonX MMORPG game engine), but didn't know how to effectively set it up.

Squeegy

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't really have any answers for you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2009, 06:44:26 pm »

I can host it on The Agora for ya.
I think I'm an alright guy. I just wanna live until I gotta die. I know I'm not perfect, but God knows I try.
Kobold Name Generator
⚔Dueling Blades⚔
Fertile Lands
The Emerald Isles

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2009, 11:37:31 am »

There is a possiblity that a "Dragon Knights" game engine may be installed on the Agora. I'll see if I can theme it around DF, if only to drive interest.