Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Mod readme template  (Read 742 times)

Rochndil

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Modder
    • View Profile
Mod readme template
« on: March 07, 2009, 08:15:24 pm »

Greetings!

I've been working to organize all my DF mods, and have frequently run into a rather significant stumbling block. Many of the mods use highly abbreviated filenames (DF_4.5.3.rar) for example, and lack any creator/content information! This causes two problems.

1. How do I file these away? I try to organize things by WHAT they do, but it's hard to quickly parse through a stack of matgloss entries to see what's been changed.

2. If I really like the mod, how do I heap praise upon the creator, as is their just due?

To give some small aid to the modding community, and contribute something meaningful, I offer the following Mod Readme Template document, under the spoiler tag.

Mod Readme Template:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

If every mod maker were to take just a few minutes to complete one of these files, and dump it into the root of their distribution archives, both the modders and the user would have vastly improved information at their disposal.

I also offer two small suggestions:

1. Make mod archive names meaningful. DF_2345.rar doesn't tell you much. DF_kittens_for_target_practice.rar is a LOT more descriptive.

2. Include the mod name in your readme name, ie readme_cats.txt, so that YOUR file won't overwrite other folks' files.

I hope that this will prove useful to folks. I know *I* would certainly appreciate seeing more information in the archives I download, because my memory isn't very reliable.

This template is public domain, and may be used, abused, and re-worked in any way that is useful. Or dwarven - especially the abused part.

Rochndil, who spend a lot of personal and professional time organizing information...
Build an Elf a fire, keep him warm for a day.
Drown an Elf in magma, keep him warm for the rest of his life!