Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Release: DF Metals Smelting Spreadsheet  (Read 799 times)

Rochndil

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Modder
    • View Profile
Release: DF Metals Smelting Spreadsheet
« on: March 07, 2009, 10:40:36 pm »

Good evening!

I can't believe I finally finished this beast. I started working on it WAY back in the fall, and it got pushed aside about a dozen times for RL interruptions. Now that it's finally out there, I hope everyone enjoys it.

DFFD link: http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=880

Basically, I created this reference because I was having trouble keeping all the different metals data in my head. What do I need to smelt this? What ores do I need to make this metal, what do I get when I smelt this - these were all questions I had when I started with DF, and it took me MANY trips to the Wiki before I started to get a handle on things.

THEN, Sean Mirrsen put out his excellent Metals Mod, and I was right back at square one, having to learn everything over again. So I resolved to do something about it.

This spreadsheet is the result of that work. Basically, it shows you what components you need to produce which metals at the smelter, the general properties OF those metals and alloys, and also computes whether you're losing or gaining value in the process.

I hope that this is helpful to both new DF fans and modders, since it's easily expandable to account for new metals, alloys, and components. I'll be happy to update the sheet if any errors or omissions are discovered.

Feel free to use this as you wish, but I'd like to be remembered for the many hours I put into it. :)

Rochndil, who is better at organizing data than creating it...
« Last Edit: March 07, 2009, 10:45:09 pm by Rochndil »
Build an Elf a fire, keep him warm for a day.
Drown an Elf in magma, keep him warm for the rest of his life!

woose1

• Bay Watcher
  • Yay for bandwagons!
    • View Profile
Re: Release: DF Metals Smelting Spreadsheet
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2009, 11:04:35 pm »

Holy crap.