Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: New version sieges?  (Read 10118 times)

Baro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
New version sieges?
« on: February 07, 2008, 06:54:00 pm »

Do attackers actually finally come in the new version or will that come later as part of the army arc?

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
Re: New version sieges?
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2008, 07:28:00 pm »

They come in the same way they came for most of the older versions. Goblins seige you when your fortress reaches a population of 80 (I think?) or when your wealth reaches a certain point... Kobolds do Kobold-ish stuff... Humans, elves, and maybe dwarves siege you if you kill off the caravans enough (or so I've heard).

Oh, and goblins now send ambushing partys.

[ February 07, 2008: Message edited by: Untelligent ]

The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Dwarfu

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Advisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2008, 07:32:00 pm »

If you're talking about the true armies from in-game units vs the spawned armies, the true armies are not yet active:

http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/dev_next.html

Baro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2008, 09:23:00 pm »

basically I've lost interest in DF untill I can get some combat.  I like to make little organised forts of 20-40 dwarves TOPS and build interesting and elaborate defenses.  Sadly I've not once since the new z-axis version been able to experience any real combat due to the impossibly high (impossible with any decent frame rate or management) population requirements to get a siege.  

You say killing caravans works?  So if I kill the elves every single time they come, I'll eventually have some elves to test my defenses against regardless of my population?

I wish attacks were wealth rather than pop based.  If anything you'd think the bad guys would prefer to attack low population but high wealth targets.

apache1990

• Bay Watcher
  • Arena Master
    • View Profile
    • Bay Watcher Arena V2.0!
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2008, 09:25:00 pm »

Elves only care about you disobeying tree mandates.

Humans will siege you if you kill off caravans though.

ColonelTEE3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2008, 09:38:00 pm »

Yeah the elves will never "siege" you, but they will send ambush parties to pick off your guys if they stray too far. Dwarves never siege you, but you'll lose immigration if you piss em off.
Fikod Rulushzasit Alis Mozir, Mace Lord has grown attached to a fox

leather coat

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2008, 11:31:00 pm »

« Last Edit: October 28, 2015, 11:07:14 pm by penguinofhonor »

Chariot

• Bay Watcher
  • Turtle Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2008, 12:46:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by penguinofhonor:
<STRONG>Don't the dwarves have the [SIEGER] tag now? What would this do?
</STRONG>

theyve had that since the 2d version, its not new

John Johnston

• Bay Watcher
  • Unrescuable aspie.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2008, 03:50:00 am »

I've just started a fort on the new version and been hit with two (possibly even three, it was a little hard to tell) simultaneous goblin ambushes in the back end of the second year, with maybe fifteen goblins in total, plus a snatcher or two and some kobolds knocking around.  The fort only had a population of forty or so, and the only reason the dwarves survived was thanks to the axedwarves guarding a trade caravan.  Such military as I'd managed to train by then (a few wrestlers, a few hunters/marksdwarves) was half destroyed by the attackers.  I lost maybe 1/4 to 1/3 of my total population.  It was a real challenge, and I was delighted.   :)  Thumbs up for the ambushes!
Oh
God it's been a lovely day
Everything's been going my way
I had so much fun today
And I'm on fire

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2008, 07:04:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by penguinofhonor:
<STRONG>Don't the dwarves have the [SIEGER] tag now? What would this do?

And if you're rich, you can have 20-40 dwarves and be sieged.</STRONG>

This is false for .33g, I had a fortress with 5 or 6 million wealth and ~40 dwarves and never got sieged. I upped the cap and within a year of getting 80 dwarves I was sieged.

As for human sieges, I tested drowning the caravan ~5 years in a row and never got attacked but this was many version ago so the info is probably obsolete.

An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

Run Comrades

• Bay Watcher
  • Jovian Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/acylon
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2008, 11:40:00 am »

Baro: as for the current version, you should have no problem getting goblin AMBUSHES with your wealth and population.  As long as you have gobs for neighbors, I guess.  As others have said, I am getting them ALL THE FREAKING TIME now.

EDIT:  AWESOME!  There was a human swordsmaster coming with the goblin ambushes, when they tried to storm my fort, I caught two of the invaders AND the human swordsmaster.  I now have around 60 captured goblins and one human swordsmaster.  The next arena even I have is going to be legendary!!!

[ February 08, 2008: Message edited by: Run Comrades ]

[ February 08, 2008: Message edited by: Run Comrades ]