Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20

Author Topic: Complete Newby Play-along Tutorials... are complete!  (Read 472878 times)

ragincajun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Complete Newby Play-along Tutorials... are complete!
« Reply #270 on: September 05, 2014, 07:56:05 am »

Saves are not compatible across major releases I don't think.
No, they went to Hel, where they lead a bleak existence in cold and darkness. Valhalla is reserved for valiant warriors.

SlyStalker

• Bay Watcher
  • Always angry, all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: October 03, 2014, 06:21:09 am »

Thanks for posting this, TinyPirate! It really helped out a lot. The 'Getting Started with Dwarf Fortress' book did too... did you write that?
There are 10 types of people in this world: those who understand binary, and those who don't.

mkaito

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: October 27, 2014, 06:11:30 pm »

Thanks for posting this, TinyPirate! It really helped out a lot. The 'Getting Started with Dwarf Fortress' book did too... did you write that?

According to his website, yes, he's the book's author. Awesome book! Wish it went into more detail about dwarven engineering, managing water, and the military. Then again, it's a "getting started" book.

Chimerat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: October 27, 2014, 07:13:42 pm »

Am I missing something or is there no way to get the PDF without paying? :-\

mkaito

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: October 30, 2014, 02:44:29 pm »

I bought it on Amazon, kindle version. It's a truly excellent book, and it's worth supporting the author, although I'm not sure how much he might get off Amazon for it. It's an O'Reilly book, so you can be fairly certain that you're getting at least a very decent book.

And it's just $10.95, so it's not like you're gutting your budget over it.

Big Black Beard

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: November 19, 2014, 12:36:25 pm »

Many thanks for this tutorial.

TinyPirate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: March 04, 2015, 03:51:00 pm »

With all of the updates I have decided to start a small DF series on my YouTubes. I hope to cover little tips and guides that aren't yet in the book. Have a look!
« Last Edit: March 04, 2015, 03:57:53 pm by TinyPirate »

USP45

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: March 11, 2015, 09:42:15 pm »

With all of the updates I have decided to start a small DF series on my YouTubes. I hope to cover little tips and guides that aren't yet in the book. Have a look!

Awesome!  Subscribed.

Rafy800

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: April 10, 2015, 02:59:35 pm »

Awesome tutorials !

I can read and write english, but i'm best with my language : french.

But the french link is dead i think ...

shadowclasper

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McSpacemarine, AxeDwarf
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #279 on: April 12, 2015, 05:15:36 pm »

I liked these a lot, but are they still relevant given all of the changes to well, everything ever since it came out? Even the wiki seems to be lagging behind in a lot of areas.
Project Manager for Towergirls: Subtitle Pending

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • 4mask always angle, do figure his!
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: April 12, 2015, 05:35:14 pm »

I liked these a lot, but are they still relevant given all of the changes to well, everything ever since it came out? Even the wiki seems to be lagging behind in a lot of areas.
If you see the wiki lagging, make changes.

Keybounce

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: August 14, 2017, 06:41:38 pm »

Bump

Is there a newbie tutorial for the current game? This is 8 years old, and at the start of this page someone even says that the saves are not compatible.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: August 14, 2017, 07:05:44 pm »

Uh, yeah. There are several. The most recent one being New Players Basics Guides, though I'm not one for videos much and haven't looked at them. I've reviewed WanderingKid's DFHowTo Tutorial Series videos, though, and the only significant note I'd add is that Mining is a moodable skill, which I'm not sure he fixed.

If you want play-along (with save) tutorial, I think PeredexisErrant has one: PeridexisErrant’s DF Walkthrough.

I learned with quickstart guide on the wiki. I like reading and wiki, but even if you do too it is something you can grasp at once and doesn't have many in-game images.

However, the front page is still mostly correct. Having looked at first two tutorial links in the front page of this thread, the most significant differences would be Phoebus tileset (vanilla bay12 download uses Curses ASCII), bit different menu movement keybinds (you'll see what you have available on screen though, default is +-) and only significant gameplay difference seems to be now multi-level trees. TinyPirate did write a book, after all.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2017, 07:07:16 pm by Fleeting Frames »

Ziusudra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: August 14, 2017, 08:34:03 pm »

vanilla bay12 download uses Curses ASCII
Technically, it uses images of ASCII characters, called Tilesets, composited by SDL by default. The GNU/Linux version can be configured to use curses and actual ASCII. The end result of either does look pretty much the same, though. All versions can be configured to use OpenGL which again looks the same but is usually faster.

This is all separate from the Graphic sets like Phoebus that really just add more images for creatures.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2017, 08:38:56 pm by Ziusudra »
Ironblood didn't use an axe because he needed it. He used it to be kind. And right now he wasn't being kind.

alexsm

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: January 25, 2018, 02:27:57 am »

Hey everybody... I have a few play along tutorials that I think you might enjoy.
I would like to get some feedback on my work ... I'm not too sure about the configuration of it., but lemme know

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?action=login
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20