Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Civ won't work, modder can't figure out why.[solved]  (Read 830 times)

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
Civ won't work, modder can't figure out why.[solved]
« on: March 08, 2009, 10:22:35 pm »

Ok, I've been doing this for 2 days now and just can't figure out why it dosn't work.  I've used these guys before but due to vista being allergic to my USB drive I had to remake them from scratch.

Anyway for some reason I can't understand they will not show up in worldgen.  I've cleaned out my data/objects folder a few times, looked through every tag with a fine tooth comb, everything I could think of, they just refuse to show up in worldgen.

Spoiler: custom_creature.txt (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: custom_entity.txt (click to show/hide)

So any thoughts?  As far as I know there is nothing wrong.  But I figure maybe somebody else looking might spot something I've been missing.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2009, 10:17:32 am by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Sinergistic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Civ won't work, modder can't figure out why.
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2009, 11:43:16 pm »

You sure they aren't just dieing out?

[CHILD:20][BABY:2][MULTIPLE_LITTER_RARE] =  hard to breed.
[MAXAGE:100:150] = Don't live as long as other races.
[SPEED:1100] =  Bloody slow = I dunno if it has an effect on world gen, but they aren't going to fight as well as other races.

Maybe replace [SPEC_HEAT] with [HOMEOTHERM:10040]?

To see if they are just dieing out during world gen, stop genning at year one (press space or enter to pause world gen once it starts doing the history, and then 'accept world as it is now' or something. Embark and check your neighbors.)

You might also try renaming your files to entity_custom.txt, and if they STILL don't show up, try placing your mods into entity_standard and creature_[whatever].

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2009, 12:26:23 am »

Hmm, I didn't consiter the possibility of them not surviving the 50 years I run before checking.  After checking at year 3(earliest it seems to let me stop) though it is showing no sign of them ever existing.

The specheat to homeotherm thing dosn't seem to be doing it either, though it's also something I hadn't thought about.  And moving both entrys into the vanilla files themselves(then a data/objects purge) also seems to show no effect.  It is really weird.

EDIT: I copied the files over to another folder and then re-extracted dwarf fortress and then put the files back. That seems to have done the trick.  I don't understand why that worked but it worked.  Thank you for your help Sinergistic
« Last Edit: March 09, 2009, 12:37:41 am by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Sinergistic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2009, 02:32:36 am »

Hmm, I didn't consiter the possibility of them not surviving the 50 years I run before checking.  After checking at year 3(earliest it seems to let me stop) though it is showing no sign of them ever existing.

The specheat to homeotherm thing dosn't seem to be doing it either, though it's also something I hadn't thought about.  And moving both entrys into the vanilla files themselves(then a data/objects purge) also seems to show no effect.  It is really weird.

EDIT: I copied the files over to another folder and then re-extracted dwarf fortress and then put the files back. That seems to have done the trick.  I don't understand why that worked but it worked.  Thank you for your help Sinergistic

Glad to hear you got it working. Now that you mention it, recently had a similar problem where one of my games wasn't 'seeing' my new files/mods. I'd gen the world, but none of the reactions I'd add in 'reactions_standard_new' where there, and creatures were missing, etc. I was also getting errors about duplicate creatures in old files I'd deleted and merged together. Extraced a fresh copy of 40d9 and copied my mods over, everything worked perfectly. Was really weird.