Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8

Author Topic: DF Meetup 2009: Seattle, May 9th (rsvp in thread!)  (Read 47143 times)

doctorspoof

• Bay Watcher
  • [FIREBREATH]
    • View Profile
Re: DF Meetup 2009: Seattle, May 9th (rsvp in thread!)
« Reply #60 on: March 23, 2009, 05:42:43 pm »

Don't worry, there's no tree-hugging animal-loving hippies children of the earth in this part of the UK
:)
The best way to avoid tantrum spirals is to make sure no-one lives long enough to make any friends.

TurnpikeLad

• Bay Watcher
  • maybe this time
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 23, 2009, 08:31:28 pm »

OK, update on the reservations and the menu.  Since 30 people have confirmed, I've upgraded our reservations to 35 people.  That way, we're prepared for a couple more people to join.

Upon doing so I was informed by the restaurant that it would be a lot easier on their chefs and a lot less of a hassle for us if we used their buffet menu instead of ordering individually.  I'm inclined to agree; it'd be a lot easier for me if instead of having a huge cash-pile at the end of the night to deal with as everybody pays for individual orders, I could collect a flat fee from everybody and then pay for the food myself.  Also, buffet-style eating might be more convenient if we're going to be wandering throughout the evening to play games and chat with different people.

Anyway, we can choose from a few different kinds of buffet:  http://www.pikebrewing.com/events_menu.html

I think the "dinner" buffet looks too pricey.  If it were up to me, I'd go for the appetizer buffet #2: not as expensive but still a bunch of good stuff.  Let's take the next week or so to decide on a buffet menu that most people agree to.  I'll call up the restaurant again and ask if the price includes tax or not (I believe it includes the service already.)

Again, I'd like to wrap this choice up in at most a week, so I can start broadcasting exactly how much money people should bring. 

Forget that, it's much too expensive for people who might not want to eat $23 worth of food.  I'll call em and tell em that we'll be ordering off of the menu.  Here's what we'll do.  You all should bring cash enough for whatever you want to eat, and right after you order _I_ will come to each of you and be the cashier, taking the price of your meal from you and adding it to the pile for the bill at the end.  If you want to order anything else (drinks, dessert) come to me and pay me right when you order as if I was the cashier.  I'm not going to bother with change at a sub-$1 level, so I'll round up: if your meal costs $14.17 after tax and tip, I'll collect 15 bucks from you.  The extra will be donated to Bay 12.

All of this will be in the first post for the thread I'm going to make in April.

Also, more people speak up if you want to do something beforehand!  So far only 1 out of 30 has said they're up for a daytime activity.  (Aquarium, hiking, science center, zoo, picnic in the park...)  I think it would be really fun, but without at least, oh, 6 people who want to come I don't think it's worth it.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2009, 12:56:09 pm by TurnpikeLad »
Adon * Amil * Orethan

TurnpikeLad

• Bay Watcher
  • maybe this time
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 23, 2009, 10:18:50 pm »

*post assigned to a bedroom in the demon pits*
« Last Edit: March 24, 2009, 12:56:42 pm by TurnpikeLad »
Adon * Amil * Orethan

dibujante

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 24, 2009, 01:03:49 pm »

Also, more people speak up if you want to do something beforehand!  So far only 1 out of 30 has said they're up for a daytime activity.  (Aquarium, hiking, science center, zoo, picnic in the park...)  I think it would be really fun, but without at least, oh, 6 people who want to come I don't think it's worth it.
I confirmed interest in a daytime activity, right? Aquarium, hiking, science center and zoo all sound fantastic to me - you can count me and probably my girlfriend in for one of those.

Tylui

• Bay Watcher
  • O_o
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 24, 2009, 05:51:36 pm »

I would do something beforehand, although it makes no difference to me, really.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #65 on: March 25, 2009, 01:09:53 am »

Is anyone else planning to stay at the Green Tortoise? If so, then I'm going there, otherwise I may just splurge and go for an actual hotel room.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

madpraxis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 25, 2009, 01:12:04 am »

We can dance if we want to....oh...wait..wrong subject...
I might be up for something during the day..it all depends on if anybody is hitching a ride with me. If nobody does I'll probaby convince a gal type friend that she really wants to go do whatever day stuff we will be planning (easy) and also to hang around while we nerd out (hard(wait..there will be alchohol..that should make it easier to convince her if I get no ride requests(I need to stop with these thoughts before I lose count of how many damn ')' I need at the end(Though, I may most likely be up for daytime suff even if its just me by my lonesome)))).

Tahin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 25, 2009, 10:13:35 am »

The hostel works for me. It's a good deal cheaper than a hotel room would be. Anyone else interested?

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 25, 2009, 12:53:30 pm »

We can get a bunk room and split the costs, and it'll be just like the Starting Seven's barracks!

Monkeyvich

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 25, 2009, 03:27:29 pm »

Hi, some of you may have seen me in IRC and on the modding forums.   I wrote a little Hobbit mod, still mastering Fortress mode.

I'm living in Renton now, so it should be easy to show up to pike place!   

Monkeyvich

Kogan Loloklam

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm suffering from an acute case of Hominini Terravitae Biologis. Keep your distance!
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: March 26, 2009, 11:20:24 am »

if your meal costs $14.17 after tax and tip, I'll collect 15 bucks from you.
This isn't good. If someone has taken the effort to calculate up exactly how much they owe after tax and tip, you should NOT demand more than they owe. If they want to donate to Toady One, then they should. That is the whole principle behind the donation method of support. You don't force it. It is all given freely. This shouldn't change because we are having a fan meetup. The prices there are already very pricy for where I am from. Some people may be coming from places with even lower cost of living. If people need to worry about their cash that much, indulge them. if you are incapable of doing this, I will be perfectly willing to take the duty from you.
Likewise people, if you plan on giving exact change, be DARN sure you know exactly how much the tax rate is, and how much the Gratuity is (18%. Forced.) before you give exact change. If someone can find out the tax rate we are charged there, and if they take the gratuity out before or after taxes, it should ensure everyone has enough cash on hand to pay for what they want.

Anyway
On to the menus:

Food:
Starters
Kid's Menu
Sandwitches and Such
Entrees

Drinks:
Drinks made by the Establishment
Cocktails and Spirits
White Wines(and rose and sparkling)
Red Wines
Bottled Beers and Non-Alcoholic Beverages
... if someone dies TOUGH LUCK. YOU SHOULD HAVE PAYED ATTENTION DURING ALL THE DAMNED DODGING DEMONSTRATIONS!

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: March 26, 2009, 11:39:01 am »

This isn't good. If someone has taken the effort to calculate up exactly how much they owe after tax and tip, you should NOT demand more than they owe. If they want to donate to Toady One, then they should. That is the whole principle behind the donation method of support. You don't force it. It is all given freely. This shouldn't change because we are having a fan meetup. The prices there are already very pricy for where I am from. Some people may be coming from places with even lower cost of living. If people need to worry about their cash that much, indulge them. if you are incapable of doing this, I will be perfectly willing to take the duty from you.

I'm sure your intentions are good here, but you seem to be going out of your way to misunderstand.  TL is not trying to extort donations from people, he's making a commendable and proactive attempt to avoid the inevitable mistakes that will arise when everybody's handing him stacks of pennies, and he's forced to hope that the amount's right because he doesn't have time to count up 30 people's change, and then forced to pay out of his own pocket at the register to make up for the several dozen dropped coins.  The fact that the extra is going to B12 is an afterthought.

If you're trying to offer help, do so without the self-righteousness.  All you needed to say was, "If counting out the change is too much trouble, I can take care of that for everyone and make up any differences myself."  Although you still shouldn't expect him to accept your help, because you are after all a stranger offering to take charge of a large amount of money, and you don't have the credibility of having organized the previous event.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2009, 11:54:31 am by Footkerchief »

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: March 26, 2009, 11:48:27 am »

Do they serve anything that isn't made with cheese and fish? I mean why ruin perfectly good cheese by getting fish juice on it?

Wait, I think they have steaks in there somewhere...

TurnpikeLad

• Bay Watcher
  • maybe this time
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: March 26, 2009, 01:29:11 pm »

if your meal costs $14.17 after tax and tip, I'll collect 15 bucks from you.
Likewise people, if you plan on giving exact change, be DARN sure you know exactly how much the tax rate is, and how much the Gratuity is (18%. Forced.) before you give exact change. If someone can find out the tax rate we are charged there, and if they take the gratuity out before or after taxes, it should ensure everyone has enough cash on hand to pay for what they want.

I choose to do it like this so that we don't have to pay out the ear for a buffet menu.  I realize that rounding up to the nearest $1 isn't the best solution, but I'm concerned about the time and effort it will take to collect everybody's change.  I don't want the designated cashier (whether it be you or me) calculating tax and tip and dealing change far into the meal.

For everybody's information, the gratuity is mandatory 18% (added on to the bill) and the tax will be an even 10%.  Since the gratuity is added on the price before tax, the total cost of your meal will be 28% above the menu.  This brings the total price of a basic meal to 13 - 15 dollars.

Kogan, there's a solution to your problem.  Here's what I'll do.  I'll just bring a bowl of quarters, nickels and dimes along and anybody who wants can take from the bowl however much they feel they're owed.  That way, I'm sure to have enough cash to pay the bill, and people who don't want to spend 75 cents on donations can grab the difference if they wish.
Adon * Amil * Orethan

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: March 26, 2009, 02:19:05 pm »

How about this; round the price down and I'll throw in $20 to cover the difference.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8