Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Help: DFG and 40d9  (Read 921 times)

ChampionHyena

• Bay Watcher
  • Driving to Danger-Mart
    • View Profile
Help: DFG and 40d9
« on: March 09, 2009, 04:20:57 pm »

Hey, guys. I've been playing Dwarf Fortress with Mike Mayday's graphics set, since I have trouble following the game without graphics and Mike's compilation is the best I've seen. However, I'm currently traveling, and Dwarf Fortress does not want to run at an acceptable framerate on my laptop. To get it running faster, I've tried using OpenGL/SDL DF 40d9, and the performance gains are immense. However, I'm pretty terrible at playing this game with only the ASCII characters, so I need Mike's graphics. Mike's compilation is all self-contained, with its own executable and copies of the init files and so forth edited to fit his graphics set.

So, my question is this: how do I update Mike's graphical version of Dwarf Fortress to 40d9? I'd like to preserve the graphical version's changes--custom embark profiles, seasonal saves, no accents, etc.--but get the extra speed of 40d9. Is it simply a matter of copying in the files that have been updated in 40d9? And, if so, which files are those?

Any help would be tremendously appreciated, and make the lulls in my trip much easier to handle.

Thanks!
I once kicked a traffic cone into a man and killed him.

Sinergistic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Help: DFG and 40d9
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2009, 08:42:24 pm »

DO NOT copy 40d9 files over your 40D files.

Instead, copy the graphics files over to the 40d9 folder. You want:

/raw/graphics
/raw/objects (maydays comes with two mods: the cat fix (new body part for cats, fixes an error message) and the economic stone mod (which makes all stone econimic, so you can disable stuff being made with it through the 'z'->'stone' menu, really useful. Copying the objects folder over is easiest, and will let you continue to play with your previous forts))
/data/init/embark profiles.txt
/data/init/interface.txt

/data/init/init.txt (SAVE THIS FOR LATER, DON'T COPY PASTE)
/data/art

Now, save your DFG init file someplace (like your desktop) and add the following, overwriting the preexisting [PARTIAL_PRINT:YES/NO:#] line. You can get this code from your 40d9 init file, you might want to include toadys comments. Nothing else changed, just these two extra lines. Save it, then copy your now modded init file into the 40d9 folder.
Code: [Select]
[PARTIAL_PRINT:YES:0]
[FRAME_BUFFER:NO]
[SINGLE_BUFFER:NO]

You also mentioned modded language files? I think copying over the objects folder should take care of that, but IIRC there is another folder with language files under data/speech.

ChampionHyena

• Bay Watcher
  • Driving to Danger-Mart
    • View Profile
Re: Help: DFG and 40d9
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2009, 10:44:12 pm »

Very straightforward and concise, and it seems to work just fine! Thank you!
I once kicked a traffic cone into a man and killed him.